Sponsored

Will earlier Gen Coyote block work with Gen 3 heads ?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
As title says .
Some of you may know I started bullding “spare “ blocks to minimize down time in the event of failures . It was kind of necessary given my luck with these motors .

I had BES sleeve my old alluminaor (11-14) block after melting one of the mahle pistons and replaced all of them with the Manley(2618).
Also did the ARP main studs,all new bearings but kept the same rods.
Reusing old parts kept the cost of the build down to about half of what building new would have been .

After my last failure (broken crank in the Hellion TT car )I was going to use it with a brand new set of GT heads / PAC springs to replace the 5.2/GT 350 head-long block . I presume that is trash but will see what I can salvage but have not pulled the motor yet .

I however decided to keep the “5.2 “ theme going so had RPG build me a new one starting with the updated Gen 2 5.2 block(that also allows me to 12 mm head studs as old motor was lifting heads ).

I was going use a set of GT 350 heads I thought could be fixed but turns out they can’t so I will be using the GT heads instead.

Which leaves me with the sleeved 5.0 block without heads to call it’s own .lol

I am probably going to be selling the Hellion car as soon as it’s put back together so won’t be needing a “spare “ block but will be keeping my 18 that has a Gen 5 whippple .

Just wondering if I could keep the block as a “spare “ for the 18 or try and sell it to raise funds for a sleeved 18 block .
Plan is to keep at least a spare short block(if not long block ) for any car I own/I am racing if possible .
And before anybody asks if I have a money tree , I don’t .lol
Hoping I can recoup some my expenses on the 2 “race cars “ (KB car will be up for sale too after it gets a new long block ) by selling them .
Keeping the 2 (18 and GT 350 ) will hopefully be a less expensive hobby .
Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I know you can put Gen 2 heads on a Gen 3 block but idk about vice versa

Spyderman83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
Any idea what needs to be done to make this happen? I know the gen 2 blocks use smaller head studs, do you need to drill out the gen 2 heads for the bigger studs or do they just fit?

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Well I am going to try it(Gen 3 heads on a Gen 2 /5.2 short block .
Lund thinks it will work but might mean turning off the Knox sensors since the Gen 2 only has 2 and there are 4 in the Gen 3.

I am trying to figure out a “spare “ for my 18 and already have a very nice sleeved Gen 2 block rebuilt by L&M with reused Manley rods /new diamond pistons and converted to use 12 mm head studs .

I will get a set of Gen 3 heads first to see if they fit .
If not then I will be keeping it very simple and build a long block with stock Gen 3 short block / ARP studs /Billet OPG/CS and call it a day

If /when the original motor gets pulled and replaced I may send that off for a full build

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
As title says .
Some of you may know I started bullding “spare “ blocks to minimize down time in the event of failures . It was kind of necessary given my luck with these motors .

I had BES sleeve my old alluminaor (11-14) block after melting one of the mahle pistons and replaced all of them with the Manley(2618).
Also did the ARP main studs,all new bearings but kept the same rods.
Reusing old parts kept the cost of the build down to about half of what building new would have been .

After my last failure (broken crank in the Hellion TT car )I was going to use it with a brand new set of GT heads / PAC springs to replace the 5.2/GT 350 head-long block . I presume that is trash but will see what I can salvage but have not pulled the motor yet .

I however decided to keep the “5.2 “ theme going so had RPG build me a new one starting with the updated Gen 2 5.2 block(that also allows me to 12 mm head studs as old motor was lifting heads ).

I was going use a set of GT 350 heads I thought could be fixed but turns out they can’t so I will be using the GT heads instead.

Which leaves me with the sleeved 5.0 block without heads to call it’s own .lol

I am probably going to be selling the Hellion car as soon as it’s put back together so won’t be needing a “spare “ block but will be keeping my 18 that has a Gen 5 whippple .

Just wondering if I could keep the block as a “spare “ for the 18 or try and sell it to raise funds for a sleeved 18 block .
Plan is to keep at least a spare short block(if not long block ) for any car I own/I am racing if possible .
And before anybody asks if I have a money tree , I don’t .lol
Hoping I can recoup some my expenses on the 2 “race cars “ (KB car will be up for sale too after it gets a new long block ) by selling them .
Keeping the 2 (18 and GT 350 ) will hopefully be a less expensive hobby .
Don't want to derail the thread but what PSI did you lift a head on the Hellion car? Will be going that route soon and you're scaring me here lol

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol
First time was on the dyno with the GT 350 intake (don’t think it had any thing to do with it )
I think boost was 17-18 psi but I will look at what the dyno read .

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Lol
First time was on the dyno with the GT 350 intake (don’t think it had any thing to do with it )
I think boost was 17-18 psi but I will look at what the dyno read .
Oh wow that's a good bit. My motor only has opgs/cs so I probably won't be going higher than 15 psi.

You got some huevos lol

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why ?
Won’t physically fit ?
Well I am going to see . Nothing to lose really .
Already have the short block and will need the heads for a long block build even if I end up with a Gen 3 short block

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
Why ?
Won’t physically fit ?
Well I am going to see . Nothing to lose really .
Already have the short block and will need the heads for a long block build even if I end up with a Gen 3 short block
Water ports are different. We compared the Gen2 Head gaskets with the Gen3 As I was building my Gen3 my buddy was building his Gen2 at the same time

Sponsored
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Water ports are different. We compared the Gen2 Head gaskets with the Gen3 As I was building my Gen3 my buddy was building his Gen2 at the same time
It may just be a matter of figuring out the right head gasket to use .

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks , yes I had also seen the thicker head gasket .
My feeling is you get the head gasket to
Match the head ..... but I am a complete mechanical noob .

Turbotyla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
So I actually looked into this earlier this year.

I’m positive the correct head gasket will allow them to work.

the cam position sensors are relocated also.
Base circle is changed with the 2018 also. And as you have stated the knock sensors are in a different spot with the direct injection.

also you would have to have a block off place made for the direct injection pump. As well as plugs made for the injectors. They could be welded in or just keep the stock injectors in held in place.

they would flow better than the gen 2 but it ended up not being worth the hassle for me.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yikes !
Sounds complicated.
Were you looking to do this in a 2015-2017 ?

I was looking at doing this in an 18 (Gen 2 block /Gen 3 heads )
Sponsored