Sponsored

Will a factory 2018 Mustang Ecoboost engine also fit my 2015 Ecoboost Mustang for a potential swap!?

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Changing to a different engine (V6 or V8) is an expensive and time consuming labor of love. Stick with the 4 banger.
I heard also that i can go for a 2.0. Is that just the short block that will need to swap with the 2.3? Or do i actually need everything at this pont
Sponsored

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
If you drove it 4K miles with a blown head gasket your head is toast. Even if it is not warped 99% it has a groove worn where the combustion gasses traveled between the cylinders.
Yeah. I know for a fact i need a new engine. The whole thing. Just checking my options

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I heard also that i can go for a 2.0. Is that just the short block that will need to swap with the 2.3? Or do i actually need everything at this pont
Don't do anything else other than another OEM 2.3L engine.

Do not get into trying to put some other engine other than the same one, there's waaaaaaaay too many additional and expensive issues that will come up.

You need a "plug & play" solution to your problem, not one that causes other problems.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Sponsored

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
This, anything else and you are asking for headaches.
Thank you guys. Yeah i was getting ahead of myself there haha. Now its just a game of waiting and working

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Don't do anything else other than another OEM 2.3L engine.

Do not get into trying to put some other engine other than the same one, there's waaaaaaaay too many additional and expensive issues that will come up.

You need a "plug & play" solution to your problem, not one that causes other problems.
Thank you. Yeah im getting over my head. Gotta stay focused. I appreciate it

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There is a thread where someone took an ecoboost car and swapped a 5.0 into it. I think it took 6 months to get it all sorted and running.

Truly a labor of love.

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
There is a thread where someone took an ecoboost car and swapped a 5.0 into it. I think it took 6 months to get it all sorted and running.

Truly a labor of love.
impressive dedication and work skills. Sadly , i have neither right now haha. I think a guy on this thread posted it as well. Will check it out

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Truly a labor of love.
yes that is @The RedMus - he’s the one who had the very detailed thread on here in the 5.0 sub forum. It took him a lot of work and as stated above, in the more modern vehicles like the S550, it’s not just swapping out the engine and electronics - it’s a lot of programming too. IIRC, it took quite a bit of time for him to get things programmed - and his whole swap from start to finish was not “cheap”.

In the situation the OP is in, he’s best sticking to the 2.3 OEM direct swap to getting back on the road with the least amount of compatibility problems AND to keep his costs to a minimum. The @LevittownFordParts deal is probably one of the best going and it would be an all brand new engine and turbo...

Don’t get in higher over your head - you know where you are at the moment and if I were closer to your location, I’d surely lend some time and a hand... but we’re many miles apart....

Is your EB a manual trans or 6R80 auto? If it’s a manual, price out a complete OEM clutch kit too. Because pulling the engine will give that opportunity and it’s best to replace the clutch while it’s open than having to do it again after the fact. If it’s a 6R80, there’s nothing to replace. - just transfer over the flex plate to the new engine.

For tools and doing this at home, you would need quite a bit. Definitely an engine crane, ramps and 4 safe locking jack stands that can get the vehicle at least 17-18” off the ground (rocker to floor clearance) for enough room for getting under it.

You’ll need SAE and Metric wrenches as well as sockets, a 1-2ft pry bar, torque wrench and if at all possible - air tools and compressor that is capable of at least 150-250psi.

Whatever you do, if you attempt anything on your own and being new to wrenching - take BEFORE pictures of everything from all angles before you touch anything. This way you have a reference if you can’t recall where something goes. Always bag and label all hardware removed, small hoses, clips, etc.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
So.. can anyone answer whether or not a 2018+ 2.3L is a direct swap for a 2015-2017 2.3L?..

I've spoken to a few mechanics and they tell me it is however I have no way of verifying that.. Guess I'll find out the hard way.
Sponsored