Sponsored

Will a factory 2018 Mustang Ecoboost engine also fit my 2015 Ecoboost Mustang for a potential swap!?

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Chalk it up as a valuable learning lesson that hopefully you will not repeat. Banks will damn near lend money to anyone with a heartbeat at stupid interest rates. They (dealers/banks) quite honestly take advantage of low hanging fruit all the time (ignorant buyers). These same people buy all the extra add on crap in F&I and get loaded up even more debt. Sad...
You hit the nail in the coffin. Thats where i am at, but luckily i have managed to save some money for emergencys like this. Have enough for a used not. Not enough for a new one.
Sponsored

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
A "long block" is not the same thing as the actual engine block. Long block is the entire engine - block, rotating assembly (crank/rods/pistons), cylinder heads, and intake. The block is just a part of the long block. Cylinder liners and bearings can be replaced. The block is just a hunk of metal cast in a neat shape.

As someone said above, I've never heard of a "warped engine block". That's an interesting description.
My best option is to get a used engine at this point. Having to tear it down only to find out that the engine is practically useless will cost me more money than just swapping it out, since i have no mechanic experience. After the swap, i can try to open the engine myself and learn about the components and what not. I appreciate all the feedback, but i honestly wish there was a way around it. Could have avoided at first. Now i have to deal with it

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
@EcoJesus7

Not sure where you are located, but try reaching out to @The RedMus on here - he just did a complete Eco to Coyote swap recently and from what I recall, he was selling the Eco engine and all parts.

He might be able to hook you up being another M6G member. He’s also really good with the Eco anatomy and can probably assist with some input to your situation.

Don't be harsh on yourself - lots of us on here at some point have made not so great decisions in life - but you learn from those decisions, be it good or bad.

This site has a LOT of helpful M6G members who can assist or guide you in the right direction. That “other” site you listed - stick to this one, you’ll get far more responses and excellent tech....

If you need folks to lean on - there’s a ton of great folks here who can lend some advice. Maybe if there’s some local M6G members to you they may be able to help with the swap.

Unfortunately, as others have said, the coolant most likely washed out the bearings and anything else internally, which is the main cause for internal engine failure. It’s not worth the time trying to salvage that engine and would be far easier just to remove it and replace it.

As far as components reusable - most all attached accessories, harnesses, etc. Due to the coolant to oil problem - definitely replace all hoses. I would replace the turbo as well, because oil does run through it. You may be able to get a turbo included with the next engine you purchase - along with othe necessary parts of purchasing a complete engine. A long block will be upper intake to oil pan and most salvage facilities don’t even remove all of the front end accessories, so you end up with extras.

Prestige Mustang is located in GA and is well known for years for being a Mustang specific salvage facility - you can try them:
https://prestigemustang.com/

Delk Performance is also another well known facility for salvage Mustang parts for many years:
http://www.delkperformance.com/Salvage.html

Car-Part is another reliable salvage source and you can select by state:
https://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

Midway Mustang is another well known and reliable source: https://midwaymustang.com/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
If you swap to a V6 or V8, you will need a new ECU and wiring harness. Labor costs would also be significant.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Looks like the levitown ford engine comes with a new turbo. If you can afford it that is the way to go. I also believe Ford gives a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty with their engines.

I know when My 02 F150 blew I got a Ford replacement engine and it had a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Use any of cobra jet's links and find a low mileage used engine. A local Mom and Pop shop should be able to swap engines for 800 to 1200 dollars.

Good luck and I never learned anything from doing things correctly, it was always the hard lessons that stuck.

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
If you swap to a V6 or V8, you will need a new ECU and wiring harness. Labor costs would also be significant.
Give or take how much extra? Labor isnt an issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Looks like the levitown ford engine comes with a new turbo. If you can afford it that is the way to go. I also believe Ford gives a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty with their engines.

I know when My 02 F150 blew I got a Ford replacement engine and it had a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Use any of cobra jet's links and find a low mileage used engine. A local Mom and Pop shop should be able to swap engines for 800 to 1200 dollars.

Good luck and I never learned anything from doing things correctly, it was always the hard lessons that stuck.
I did not even think about the turbo. Poor thing is probably beat up as well. One solution brings out two more problems. With money tight, it might be a while till i can get the car running again. Hopefully, withing a month or two i can have the experience and money to go for the best route

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Buy brand new - https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-6007-23ta.html

If you ask over at their section of this forum they might provide a discount code to save you a little dough.

or here - https://ffperformance.co/product/en...020-ford-mustang-ecoboost-babubu-short-block/

Use code 'hohoho' for 5% off, free shipping = $3705. Find used head (might be easier) and reap the benefit of a substantially stronger block and components.
The second link seems to only be a short block. According to diagnostic i would also need to replace the long block. I wish i had friends who would help me break the engine apart. Live in Dallas, TX. Sadly, im all alone on this one

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Changing to a different engine (V6 or V8) is an expensive and time consuming labor of love. Stick with the 4 banger.

OP
OP

EcoJesus7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
@EcoJesus7

Not sure where you are located, but try reaching out to @The RedMus on here - he just did a complete Eco to Coyote swap recently and from what I recall, he was selling the Eco engine and all parts.

He might be able to hook you up being another M6G member. He’s also really good with the Eco anatomy and can probably assist with some input to your situation.

Don't be harsh on yourself - lots of us on here at some point have made not so great decisions in life - but you learn from those decisions, be it good or bad.

This site has a LOT of helpful M6G members who can assist or guide you in the right direction. That “other” site you listed - stick to this one, you’ll get far more responses and excellent tech....

If you need folks to lean on - there’s a ton of great folks here who can lend some advice. Maybe if there’s some local M6G members to you they may be able to help with the swap.

Unfortunately, as others have said, the coolant most likely washed out the bearings and anything else internally, which is the main cause for internal engine failure. It’s not worth the time trying to salvage that engine and would be far easier just to remove it and replace it.

As far as components reusable - most all attached accessories, harnesses, etc. Due to the coolant to oil problem - definitely replace all hoses. I would replace the turbo as well, because oil does run through it. You may be able to get a turbo included with the next engine you purchase - along with othe necessary parts of purchasing a complete engine. A long block will be upper intake to oil pan and most salvage facilities don’t even remove all of the front end accessories, so you end up with extras.

Prestige Mustang is located in GA and is well known for years for being a Mustang specific salvage facility - you can try them:
https://prestigemustang.com/

Delk Performance is also another well known facility for salvage Mustang parts for many years:
http://www.delkperformance.com/Salvage.html

Car-Part is another reliable salvage source and you can select by state:
https://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

Midway Mustang is another well known and reliable source: https://midwaymustang.com/
This put a smile to my face. Even with the world feeling like its crashing down on me, this post gave me a bit of hope that i can turn the things around if Im smart about my decisions from here on out

I live in Dallas, TX. To put it simply, right now i dont have enough money for any option at all. I am close, but i want to have money for an option and then some just to be safe. Give or take, a month or two from now.

I would take the engine apart myself. I have nothing but time, but i dont know where to start and what tools would be needed. I would definitely need a lending hand and a way of mapping out everything.

Again, thank you for your links and for your words of encouragement. It means alot

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If you drove it 4K miles with a blown head gasket your head is toast. Even if it is not warped 99% it has a groove worn where the combustion gasses traveled between the cylinders.
Sponsored