Will a Brief Flashing Check Engine Light Make An Audible Sound

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I have a 2020 Mustang GT Premium, automatic, California Special Edition. If the check engine light briefly flashes and then turns off, will it also make an audible noise so I can see it was on? The reason I am asking is because when I was getting onto the highway the other day, I swore I saw something briefly flash out of the corner of my eye on the dashboard; however, when I got a chance to look down at it, nothing was there.
Thanks!
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
No, there is no Audible indicator for the CEL. It's either on or off. Although there are some conditions where it will come on and go back out on its own.
A code reader is inexpensive and can relieve your mind and/or give you information for dealing with the dealer. But again, not all codes will necessarily be logged.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Guarantee it wasn't a check engine light, if a code is set it will keep the light lit (or flashing), and it will take several drive cycles of the computer not seeing the problem for it to go away. Plus your Fordpass app will give you an alert of the code.

You probably saw the traction control light for a second if you were blasting onto the highway, which is hard not to do with these cars, lol.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
You probably saw the traction control light for a second if you were blasting onto the highway, which is hard not to do with these cars, lol.
This ^^^

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Guarantee it wasn't a check engine light, if a code is set it will keep the light lit (or flashing), and it will take several drive cycles of the computer not seeing the problem for it to go away. Plus your Fordpass app will give you an alert of the code.

Not neccessarily, A flashing CEL also means you're having Random Misfires.

I see a flashiong CEL on my idiot wife''s 2014 GT, she only runs 87 octane and and anytime I drive it and mash the gas, like when accelerating into traffic it I'll see a flashing CEL more often than not.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

I see a flashiong CEL on my idiot wife''s 2014 GT, she only runs 87 octane and and anytime I drive it and mash the gas, like when accelerating into traffic it I'll see a flashing CEL more often than not.

Flashing CEL due to misfiring means that it's potentially harming the cats.

Otherwise it takes quite a few misfires to set the CEL and it will stay lit vs flashing.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

It should still set a code afterwards though, unless your tune is doing something different. IMO something is wrong with your wife's car based on what you're saying. It should run just fine on 87.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
It should still set a code afterwards though, unless your tune is doing something different. IMO something is wrong with your wife's car based on what you're saying. It should run just fine on 87.
It won't throw a code until the misfire limit per drive cycle is reached. It's normally a few hundred misfires that it'll allow before it throws a solid CEL. It'll blink the CEL on any misfires that the ECU thinks are harming the cat and then the blinking CEL will vanish.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
It won't throw a code until the misfire limit per drive cycle is reached. It's normally a few hundred misfires that it'll allow before it throws a solid CEL. It'll blink the CEL on any misfires that the ECU thinks are harming the cat and then the blinking CEL will vanish.
I dont know about the Mustang but this is what happened on my Expedition. A bad coil was causing a misfire and the cel would blink then go out with no code.
Sponsored