Sponsored

Why wait for NAIAS when LA is coming?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I still don't think there will be a ME Corvette - I think it's a smokescreen for a caddy supercar
I don't really see a difference. GM is developing a car with a V8 in the middle. At the right price I'm very interested. I saw some videos of the car on the Nurburgring and it looked like it had fairly skinny tires. To me that means it might not have too fat of a pricetag.
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Since neither car is in my budget range it really doesn't matter. While either car in stock condition will likely make more HP than my cheap used GT, at least they will be scratching their heads when they can still see me in the mirror because they underestimated the car's output based on badging. No shame in losing to a car designed to be the pinnacle of it's brand. Sure is fun to make them sweat though at a fraction of the cost. :giggle:

OP
OP
OH3Cobra

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
I still don't think there will be a ME Corvette - I think it's a smokescreen for a caddy supercar
The platform could be used for both. Cadillac's woes may require some "excitement" in the brand and a Mid engine XLR return could be special. The XLR owners
I know are a loyal fervent bunch. If you have the investment in the platform - building something else on it is a prudent use of development dollars.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The platform could be used for both. Cadillac's woes may require some "excitement" in the brand and a Mid engine XLR return could be special. The XLR owners
I know are a loyal fervent bunch. If you have the investment in the platform - building something else on it is a prudent use of development dollars.
Like the alpha chassis, it most likely will.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
If the 500 shows at LA, I expect a teaser on Monday or later today.

I’m so confused with Ford and the way this vehicle is being released.

In history, everyone knows October and November are THE months to finalize test and tune at the ring. We’ve seen no car there, I would have thought ring testing would have been more of a priority like the 350 was. That’s fine though.

I wonder if they’re testing in Area 27. I think some of the GT was finalIzed there.. but again no spy shots.

I’m starting to think, and it’s making sense that the practical budget for testing has been cut and they’re relying more on the simulations to carry them through. That’s not a good thing.

The 350 “has good bones” quote stated a while back keeps ringing in my mind. Basically If the 350 has been tested and did well, why re test a lot??

If this 500 has ground breaking suspension or aero, we’d be seeing it more. It could mean that it’s even slower than we’ve all anticipated and we’ll see it winter/spring 2020 as a 2020 model and all the testing will take place a year from now. I can see that honestly.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I’m so confused with Ford and the way this vehicle is being released.

In history, everyone knows October and November are THE months to finalize test and tune at the ring. We’ve seen no car there, I would have thought ring testing would have been more of a priority like the 350 was. That’s fine though.

...again no spy shots.
If you go back and look at the GT350 and the GT500 they were being tested at the Ring earlier than that.

I've brought this up before and asked some from Ford/Roush. Aside from wide grins all they would offer up was that the GT500 was testing at VIR. I know of two occasions this year where the track was rented out. We talked about photos being taken and they assured me the understanding was very clear that everything would be shut down if they knew someone was trying to document the car. Regarding not being in Germany, I can only assume it is part budgetary and part because Ford feels they don't need to what with simulation and plenty of tracks and test facilities across the US. I think they're ready and that we are very close to hearing or seeing something from Ford.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
If you go back and look at the GT350 and the GT500 they were being tested at the Ring earlier than that.

I've brought this up before and asked some from Ford/Roush. Aside from wide grins all they would offer up was that the GT500 was testing at VIR. I know of two occasions this year where the track was rented out. We talked about photos being taken and they assured me the understanding was very clear that everything would be shut down if they knew someone was trying to document the car. Regarding not being in Germany, I can only assume it is part budgetary and part because Ford feels they don't need to what with simulation and plenty of tracks and test facilities across the US. I think they're ready and that we are very close to hearing or seeing something from Ford.
Your post is optimistic and I appreciate that.

One bullseye the Camaro team nailed was the ring time. I thought ford might consider that for a global recognition that, hey look, we’re the pony car champions.

Of course I have a feeling it’s less likely, or speculation, an R model will be released as a true Swan Song with a hybrid setup to capture that title. One year production only leading into the S650.

GT500 models ‘20/21( maybe 22)

And Gt500R for model ‘21 or ‘22

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I want to be pessimistic about it but I think we've been at rock bottom for so long with this that the only way to go is up.:)

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Your post is optimistic and I appreciate that.

One bullseye the Camaro team nailed was the ring time. I thought ford might consider that for a global recognition that, hey look, we’re the pony car champions.

Of course I have a feeling it’s less likely, or speculation, an R model will be released as a true Swan Song with a hybrid setup to capture that title. One year production only leading into the S650.

GT500 models ‘20/21( maybe 22)

And Gt500R for model ‘21 or ‘22
I’d love to see a last hurrah hybrid drivetrain but I really doubt that’s happening based on how long it’s taking to get the 500 out.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I’d love to see a last hurrah hybrid drivetrain but I really doubt that’s happening based on how long it’s taking to get the 500 out.
I thought there was a hybrid S550 already through the Roush camp??

Motor sandwich’d between the engine and trans. It’s more real than we know, but could be just some techs and engineers playing around too.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've theorized this in my own head beofre and maybe mentioned it once or twice as a talking point. There's a few sides of me on this, one that say how redonk would it be for that to actually happen and throw a wrench into the gears. Then there's the side of me that says it's obviously going to be a Corvette. The cues and history (Zora, etc) all point to a CHEVY ME platform.

Then there's a overthinking side:

It's a shareable platform and could be implemented similar how the Huracan and the R8 are. The Chevy would be the harder-core and more rowdy performance focused machine and the Caddy side would be the more luxury and "mature" implementation.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't think the R moniker will be used for the GT500. Ford has admittedly been protective of the GT350 in all of its facets (finally...and even I was a naysayer at one point). I believe the GT500 will actually be a mix of what the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE were. It'll have very few options available. Auto or manual. A Track Package (all the aero, different sway bars, different wheels and tires, seat delete maybe). I think the GT500 packaging framework will be more Mustang GT vs PP1/2 as opposed to GT350 vs GT350R. Again, protecting the GT350 philosophy.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't think the R moniker will be used for the GT500. Ford has admittedly been protective of the GT350 in all of its facets (finally...and even I was a naysayer at one point). I believe the GT500 will actually be a mix of what the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE were. It'll have very few options available. Auto or manual. A Track Package (all the aero, different sway bars, different wheels and tires, seat delete maybe). I think the GT500 packaging framework will be more Mustang GT vs PP1/2 as opposed to GT350 vs GT350R. Again, protecting the GT350 philosophy.
I hope you are wrong. Why change a system that works? It makes sense. Standard 500 for all around and some kind of identifier for each respective variation or focus.

We will all know soon enough. Probably NAIAS is my guess

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I hope you are wrong. Why change a system that works? It makes sense. Standard 500 for all around and some kind of identifier for each respective variation or focus.

We will all know soon enough. Probably NAIAS is my guess
NAIAS would be my guess too. I just see that Ford has done this in the past. Boss 302/Boss 302 LS and then GT500 that had options for a Performance Package.

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It will DEFINITELY be at NAIAS, confirmed by a friend with FP.

As far as LA, I'm not sure but If I were to bet I'd say no.
Sponsored