Sponsored

Why wait for NAIAS when LA is coming?

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
If I'm running Ford marketing I'd launch the GT500 at the LA show and call it a day.

Of course you'll show it NAIAS but why wait for Chevy to drop the ME Corvette on you on your home turf stealing your
thunder? Launch it now and you get 2 months of coverage without any real competition.

The new Gen Corvette will take precedent over the GT500 (improved but not new styling - ditch the blacked out center grill bar pls). My thoughts - what are yours?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Will the mid engine 'vette be at NAIAS? If it will I agree with you. It's bigger news than the GT500 and it will reduce the impact of the announcement if they are both at the same show.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The press will be all over both regardless of when each is announced. Nobody ever completely "owns" the big show (as much as Ford did quite a job when the GT, GT350, and RS were shown). They'll both have strengths and weaknesses and price will likely keep each camp maintaining the same loyalty they've always had. The game changer here would be if the new Vette was priced seriously low, something I just don't see happening.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The press will be all over both regardless of when each is announced. Nobody ever completely "owns" the big show (as much as Ford did quite a job when the GT, GT350, and RS were shown). They'll both have strengths and weaknesses and price will likely keep each camp maintaining the same loyalty they've always had. The game changer here would be if the new Vette was priced seriously low, something I just don't see happening.

Ford’s game changer was RPM for the price (an albeit fakeish 50k). GMs game changer will be 65year old push rod engine in the middle of the car, and maybe slightly more than a base car now.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
My sense is that it won't be "slightly more than a base car now" but rather quite a bit more for a reasonably optioned car. But hey, if GM can pull it off more power to them.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
My sense is that it won't be "slightly more than a base car now" but rather quite a bit more for a reasonably optioned car. But hey, if GM can pull it off more power to them.
And I don’t know this exactly, maybe somebody can chime in, but..

If similar materials and drivetrains are used but in a mid placement, does it cost more to tool and manufacture than a FR car??

I don’t think so. The fiero or MR2 weren't extremely expensive. If the base mid engine Car has a 480hp LT1, why should it be 100k??

That’s all I’m saying.

And yes the fiero sucked lol.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Since the GT500 wont be built until mid to late 2019 , no need to rush the reveal. As long as there will be a GT500 , I say keep the suspense going. I am starting to enjoy the suspense.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
And I don’t know this exactly, maybe somebody can chime in, but..

If similar materials and drivetrains are used but in a mid placement, does it cost more to tool and manufacture than a FR car??

I don’t think so. The fiero or MR2 weren't extremely expensive. If the base mid engine Car has a 480hp LT1, why should it be 100k??

That’s all I’m saying.

And yes the fiero sucked lol.
From everything I’ve read and heard it’s not really anymore expensive to produce. And the sources I’ve spoke to say expect roughly 10% price increase or less and expect the next LT engine to be over 500 hp. I hope all this holds up! If it debuts at Detroit it’ll absolutely overshadow the gt500. I agree I’d be debuting the gt500 at LA in a few weeks.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Since the GT500 wont be built until mid to late 2019 , no need to rush the reveal. As long as there will be a GT500 , I say keep the suspense going. I am starting to enjoy the suspense.
Time for the ban stick!!

I agree. If the price is not outlandish and GM builds as many as will sell like they do with the current Corvette, the mid engine could take over the higher end of the market. No way would I buy a front engine car if I can afford a car with a mid engine V8. But if GM thinks an entry version mid engine 'vette with no options and a bland pushrod V8 is a 6 figure car I wouldn't even consider one.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Ford’s game changer was RPM for the price (an albeit fakeish 50k). GMs game changer will be 65year old push rod engine in the middle of the car, and maybe slightly more than a base car now.
Very well said

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
GMs game changer will be 65year old push rod engine in the middle of the car, and maybe slightly more than a base car now.
I thought the general consensus (at least as informed from the various rumor mills ...) was a new DOHC V8 (in the area of 5.5L) for the new ME Vette. If that is the motor, and if you split the difference in the current Ford 5.0 and 5.2 motors in terms of HP/L, that puts it at what I'd think is a reasonably realistic ~96.5 or around 530HP.

I saw some PITK say something recently that suggests it will be priced around a mid-optioned Grand Sport, which would be interesting, since that would abandon the sub-$70K market space (assuming this become the replacement model).

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I thought the general consensus (at least as informed from the various rumor mills ...) was a new DOHC V8 (in the area of 5.5L) for the new ME Vette. If that is the motor, and if you split the difference in the current Ford 5.0 and 5.2 motors in terms of HP/L, that puts it at what I'd think is a reasonably realistic ~96.5 or around 530HP.

I saw some PITK say something recently that suggests it will be priced around a mid-optioned Grand Sport, which would be interesting, since that would abandon the sub-$70K market space (assuming this become the replacement model).
I don’t think you’re wrong here, but the base engine for the first year or so might be the OHV LT series. There is likely a DOHC too, agreed.

It only makes sense to have the pushrod carryover while both mid and front models are made parallel. Economies of scale will allow a cheap entry price. Thats what I’m thinking, but honestly I’m out of the loop a little bit, just things here and there I pick up about it.

rb336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
Will the mid engine 'vette be at NAIAS? If it will I agree with you. It's bigger news than the GT500 and it will reduce the impact of the announcement if they are both at the same show.
I still don't think there will be a ME Corvette - I think it's a smokescreen for a caddy supercar

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
LOL. And while we are engaging in idle (Good for nothing) chit chat, I'll buy a GT3 or some other worthy machine if the 500 is a dud.

I don't see that happening.

So back to the good for nothing idle chit chat.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
I still don't think there will be a ME Corvette - I think it's a smokescreen for a caddy supercar
There 100000000000% will not be a new ME caddy anytime soon. I have very good friends who are lead designers for Cadillac and they have assured me over and over and over again that there is most definitely not a caddy supercar coming out.
Sponsored