Sponsored

Why no side fender vents?

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Good question. I see no reason they would nix the fender vents on the "halo" car. It definitely needs something to spice up that side profile a little. They really helped on the GT350. A bigger question I have is why they couldn't have done a little better on the side skirts. Like, what's up with that little piece at the front?
20190117_170020.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You're arguing the wrong point :D

The assertion was: the vents are not removable ... clearly there's a button to make them phase into a different dimension for car shows.

Your response was to the unasked question: __should__ you remove the vents ... yeah, probably not.
You couldn't have nailed it any better.

Good question. I see no reason they would nix the fender vents on the "halo" car. It definitely needs something to spice up that side profile a little. They really helped on the GT350. A bigger question I have is why they couldn't have done a little better on the side skirts. Like, what's up with that little piece at the front?
20190117_170020.jpg
I initially thought they were intended to provide an aero benefit. I learned from someone in the program that was not the intent. Apparently Ford has a measure of control over the gravel spray or pack that can be directed at an exterior panel face, for example. Imagine that as a designer you have a choice in terms of how to mitigate the issue of silly wide tires (that some nutty vehicle dynamics engineer specified) that spew rocks with aplomb along the doors. You probably wouldn't choose a typical mudflap to take care of business. So stylists are more fond of the "surfboard" approach which is essentially a extending an area of or at the rocker panel outward to block and thus protect your fancy paint job. If you look at the most recent ZR1 you'll see something similar. In the case of the GT500, designers made the extended portions look separate when in fact they are produced with the rest of the rocker cover as one piece. These had to be evaluated by an ergonomics team to insure "proper" ingress and egress without them getting in the way. Apparently there was even consideration given at one point for these to have been adjustable - pull them outward to extend them for track events or push them back in for any other time or as you so pleased. As always, the man that controlled the money killed that idea.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
GT500 front fenders are 10mm wider than the GT350 which are already 13MM wider than the stock S550.
So why are the front fenders wider by 10mm? If they house the same size tire as the GT350R? Different offset? Possibly 11.5 wide wheels in front now? Have the wheel sizes/offsets been published or just the tire sizes that i have seen?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So why are the front fenders wider by 10mm? If they house the same size tire as the GT350R? Different offset? Possibly 11.5 wide wheels in front now? Have the wheel sizes/offsets been published or just the tire sizes that i have seen?
They didn't really say other than "to fit these massive tires" which, as you mentioned, since they're the same size as the GT350R wheels. Maybe to help prevent rock damage?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't forget that while width is similar to the GT350R, the diameter has been increased. So when you turn the wheel it's furthest point outboard will be greater on the GT500 than on the GT350's as the wheel/tire OD to hub centerline dimension has now increased.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
The upside of not having the fender vents is there is now less chance of rocks kicking up through them and hitting the front of the rear fender. It's still likely you'll get rocks from the front tires and other cars hitting that area but at least it's one less thing.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Don't forget that while width is similar to the GT350R, the diameter has been increased. So when you turn the wheel it's furthest point outboard will be greater on the GT500 than on the GT350's as the wheel/tire OD to hub centerline dimension has now increased.
That's only true if the outer diameter of the entire wheel/tire combo has been increased. If the 20's have a small sidewall tire, then the overall outer diameter may be equal.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Interesting, so the GT350R = 305/30/19 = 26.2" vs GT500 = 305/30/20 = 27.3". SO it may be that the width is indeed for the HEIGHT of the wheel/tire not the width of the wheel/tire. So i assume that by adding 10mm in width gives Xmm in height also. So the extra 1/2" height has more room to go 'up' in the wheelwell? So apparently Ford decided not to go with the 25 series tires to stay at the same OD tires as the GT350R.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's only true if the outer diameter of the entire wheel/tire combo has been increased. If the 20's have a small sidewall tire, then the overall outer diameter may be equal.
It will have been increased with the 2020 GT500 over that of the GT350/R.
Sponsored