Why is there only two 2018's in the 8's

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Trying to start a little debate here. Haven't seen a good thread in a few days.

Just want to see your opinions as to why only two 2018+ mustangs have made it into the 8's.
One of which took Mcloed clutches and Circle D converter.
But the other stock motor and trans.

I've seen 3 other 2018's dip in the low low low 9's, myself included.
Sponsored

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
Are you sure there's still 2. I know of at least 1 grenaded their motor.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Gen 3 really isnā€™t that much stronger than a Gen 2, and with trans tuning and longevity still being worked on I figure thatā€™s why. 8s ainā€™t no easy feat lol took my neighbor like a year and a half to get it. Ended up with an 8.6 with his stock motor ā€˜15

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure there's still 2. I know of at least 1 grenaded their motor.
As far as being in the 8's yes there is two. One of them has a built motor now or is being built, Didn't hear about it grenading the motor though.

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
Gen 3 really isnā€™t that much stronger than a Gen 2, and with trans tuning and longevity still being worked on I figure thatā€™s why. 8s ainā€™t no easy feat lol took my neighbor like a year and a half to get it. Ended up with an 8.6 with his stock motor ā€˜15
I'm just trying to figure out why no one has been able to replicate it?

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
theyre still new, talking about taking a brand new car and slamming 20k on it maybe more to go 8s. plus all the engine tick hype probably has people scared.

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
theyre still new, talking about taking a brand new car and slamming 20k on it maybe more to go 8s. plus all the engine tick hype probably has people scared.
Meh they aren't new, been out since end of 2017. There's been plenty of shops that have tried and plenty of them have enough money. Yet no one has been able to replicate what another shop did on stock internals for both the trans and motor.
Just makes you kind of think a little...
Even Lund the one that tuned both those cars is telling customers they can't do it without building the trans..

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Meh they aren't new, been out since end of 2017. There's been plenty of shops that have tried and plenty of them have enough money. Yet no one has been able to replicate what another shop did on stock internals for both the trans and motor.
Just makes you kind of think a little...
Even Lund the one that tuned both those cars is telling customers they can't do it without building the trans..
The midnight car has been through 3 transmissions, or so im told. Not sure about the motor, but prior to upgraded clutches being released, the trans was the issue.

With 10 speeds, the clutches and steels are smaller than the 6r so they wont hold as much power. Although, theoretically, they shouldnt need to since each "gear" is not required to hold the power as long as each gear on the 6r.

The motors should be strong enough although the conversation itself (8's!!!) is pretty telling about how tough these cars are. Great times we live in.

Real question is this--- WHY HAVENT YOU GONE 8's YET?

:)

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No one willing to go that far I think maybe. At that level, you're rolling the dice as to whether something major will break. The two people that made it are okay if it blew it seems.

I would suspect there's a happy medium where you get the suspension really worked out (which shouldn't be hard as nothing changed from 15-17 to 18+ so we already have years of experience in that part) and with a low 60 foot you'd be able to get away with putting a little less stress on the transmission and engine and still break into 8's.

$3K in suspension mods is still cheaper than a new short block.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
No one willing to go that far I think maybe. At that level, you're rolling the dice as to whether something major will break. The two people that made it are okay if it blew it seems.

I would suspect there's a happy medium where you get the suspension really worked out (which shouldn't be hard as nothing changed from 15-17 to 18+ so we already have years of experience in that part) and with a low 60 foot you'd be able to get away with putting a little less stress on the transmission and engine and still break into 8's.

Agree on the first part. Going after 8s "street car" is a pretty tall order haha. Once i achieve mid or high 9s, im done. My car has already gone 144 mph and that is plenty damn fast.

However, i think low 60 times will contribute to trans or driveline faliures. Coming out of the hole is critical to a great ET, but it is very hard on the driveline.

And a new Gen2 shortblock is only $1700 so... there's that.

Not sure what a gen3 short block is going for.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
The midnight car has been through 3 transmissions, or so im told. Not sure about the motor, but prior to upgraded clutches being released, the trans was the issue.

With 10 speeds, the clutches and steels are smaller than the 6r so they wont hold as much power. Although, theoretically, they shouldnt need to since each "gear" is not required to hold the power as long as each gear on the 6r.

The motors should be strong enough although the conversation itself (8's!!!) is pretty telling about how tough these cars are. Great times we live in.

Real question is this--- WHY HAVENT YOU GONE 8's YET?

:)
haha yeah I already knew the answer to my own question. Just wanted to see what others have on their minds.
That car went 8.4 at 168 is their newest claim but for whatever reasonnnn they wont post the slip

In regards to why I haven't. I've only gone to the track twice. The first time I was full weight besides drag pack and dumps and never saw past 9psi. Did 4 runs and called it for the day. Let another car use my radials earlier in the day. Fastest pass was a 9.3 something at 147
Second time at the track I had it up to 11psi, took about another 100-150lbs of interior out of the car. Would've turned it up more but my tuner wasn't able to make it 3 hours away to the track where I was at. Fastest pass there was 9.0 at 153.
But yes the clutches are limiting me. The car doesn't want to grab 4th in when its at 11lbs. As other 18's have had problems with. Beefcake I know had problems with the clutches slipping, and a another whipple car can't remember who's though, I think it was tuned by PBD.

My thing is Lund was all over about how the 18's can run 8's when midnight did it and is claiming stock motor and trans. Yet now he's telling people that their cars can't do it? Well can't do it with stock internals. False advertisement if you ask me... If there is lies seems like they will be coming out soon enough. Until then its all just speculation

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Agree on the first part. Going after 8s "street car" is a pretty tall order haha. Once i achieve mid or high 9s, im done. My car has already gone 144 mph and that is plenty damn fast.

However, i think low 60 times will contribute to trans or driveline faliures. Coming out of the hole is critical to a great ET, but it is very hard on the driveline.

And a new Gen2 shortblock is only $1700 so... there's that.

Not sure what a gen3 short block is going for.
I meant cheaper in the sense that A) you're not doing the labor yourself or B) you're just replacing with a built block.

Also, might be hard to find a tuner that will work with you if that's your goal. At the end of the day, a lot of tuners try to protect themselves to some degree and will talk someone out of or refuse to work with someone who has a high probability of blowing their motor because of liability (not the tuner's fault, but bad press either way if some idiot blows their engine and blames the tuner).

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
actually they are still new when it comes to tuning, the trans tuning, and the di, di really isn't a big issue, but the trans is.

it's really a matter of 1st, making the power, then 2nd, getting the trans dialed in

first off, stock internals mean nothing as far as that goes when it comes to power......when we lost our 2015 engine, we never hurt a piston or rod, we actually pushed through the cylinder walls pistons and rods were perfect

we went to a sleeved motor for longevity out of the gate, and dropped compression almost a full point. that actually hurt power ,vs helping, its for longevity, but does nothing for power other than make less. a stock engine actually has a power advantage over our "built" motor. until it goes, which eventually it will.

as far as a "shop" doing it. it's not really a shop doing it, it's lund doing it with the trans tuning. lets be real, anyone can make power, it's air and fuel. and anyone can throw a bunch of boost at something. it's all trans tuning, just like the 6r80

lund has our tune dialed in pretty good, and we went 9.1's in Georgia in november and was on our way to the 8's when we lost opg's in the engine.

another thing is d/a. when you get to run in 100 ft of da vs 1000-3000 ft, makes a difference and when you get to work on the trans tuning on the car for 12 months a year vs 7..

running 8's is 95% in the trans, and it's getting everything to come together at the track with the tune, and getting it to be consistent. and lund is at the forefront there

So, the only thing to "think a little" about is using lund for your tune... the stock clutches are going to burn up at that power level, we have been into several of them, they aren't designed for 1000-1200 wheel horsepower.

Even with no slip, we rebuilt our trans with stock clutches before georgia, and the f clutch is completely heated up and the steels are burned from only 7 passes at that power level.

bottom line...want to go fast...have lund do your tune

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)

Suspension is not needed.. Mine does low 1.3 60's on stock suspension with 3.15 gears and 29.5'' tall tire