Sponsored

Why aren't we seeing more turbo 2018's?

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I mean really were talking about a Mustang. Of course itll have aftermarket support eventually lol.
Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I bought my 2018 literally to TT it and go kick ass and have fun at the 800ish power level. Bought my 2018 a few months ago and despite talking to local s550 owners with TT kits and had done my own research as well... Find out they are almost nothing like their previous year counterparts.... No aftermarket solutions or upgrades for the trans other than a buy a new one for $5000? FUUUUUU that, had I know that I probably would have bought a 2017 already done for a decent price. Hard for me to spend $15-20k on a turn key build when there is no aftermarket solution for the 10r80 trans.
Despite all of the ranting and raving and stories of how "they can take 1000rw all day long" and "its my DD etc etc and beat the fuck out of it!" I ain't buyin it; misery loves company. If I can't build/rebuild a trans in a modded car, i have no business playing in that realm.
With that being said, BRB I have to go rebuild my T56 for the 5th or 6th time; I think I just found out where all of my trust issues stem from lol
Blows me away what expectations some people have for stock parts, the 10R80 is a great transmission and holds around 850 rwhp in stock form just don't let it shift into 7th gear. That transmission doesn't owe you shit it's handling over double the hp the car is designed to make, if you are going to cry about it go buy a fox body and run a PG.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Blows me away what expectations some people have for stock parts, the 10R80 is a great transmission and holds around 850 rwhp in stock form just don't let it shift into 7th gear. That transmission doesn't owe you shit it's handling over double the hp the car is designed to make, if you are going to cry about it go buy a fox body and run a PG.
It's designed for 650, IIRC. The rest, 100% spot on.

To be fair I didn't read his post as a complaint about the 10R80 per se, rather the current lack of mod and rebuild options.

Rams01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2001 Camaro 1200rw, 2015 Silverado
Patience my friend. 10R80 solutions are coming and will happen eventually.
The gen3 engine and 10r80 are both new hell circle d nor anyone else even has a converter out yet.
They will and im 100% positive exedy will have trans parts soon too.
Wanna go fast with newest combo and be the first one to find out what fails 1st and at what power levels umm yeah thats going to be expensive.
I second these comments. The aftermarket world will prevail and come out with the parts, clutches, tuning etc. for the 10R80. Hang tight.
I'll be honest, this is my first Mustang and also first Ford product I've ever owned and have been heavily involved with GM/BMW/Mercedes cars and have modded and blown up my fair share and can speak with confidence differences between years, engines, generations etc. With Mustangs I thought I was up to speed with the differences and thought they weren't that big of a deal at a glance. I was told by people with 2015-2017's that everything should be the same and bolt right up and there isn't anything complicated between the two years just a trans change etc etc. So I was under the impression a 2017 turbo kit would bolt right on to 2018+, a fuel system would be abundant and reasonably priced, and that Trans parts would be readily available. Since the 2018s had been out for a full year at that point and at least in the GM camp, thats ample time for new/modified tech to hit the market and is readily available and typically more than 1 vendor had a solution.
That's what I get though for not doing thorough research and assuming i knew wtf I was talking about. I don't regret my purchase because in all reality I got a hell of a deal on the car, and its a solid platform to mod and is just KILLING it out there right now.
But I've been a pioneer and the first person with a new combo engine swap etc. and it was expensive as hell, but hey, i was the first! lol.... I learned my lesson and not doing that again. I think in 6 months the cost of all the above listed will come down and in 1-2 years people will start selling slightly turbo kits at a heavy discount because of a new child or something or divorce etc.
Thanks for the responses, I plan to sit back and watch and be patient for trans support since I am 99% certain ill blown the SOB the time I go out and make 60-180 pulls back to back. I have shit luck hahaha

It's designed for 650, IIRC. The rest, 100% spot on.

To be fair I didn't read his post as a complaint about the 10R80 per se, rather the current lack of mod and rebuild options.
SPOT ON. It's impressive as hell the motor and trans live at 850+ and its a common thing and not some one off one hit wonder. So I'm already blown away by that aspect and durability, just sorta surprised its been over a year now and nothing exists yet as far as built parts goes.

Nonsequitur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Euro Spec - 2014 Focus ST with EFR7163
Yeah, the 10R80 has been out for a while now on the Mustang and still no one knows what's the correct trans fluid level... much less how we can mod it to increase it's durability.
Sponsored