RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how much money you make, but personally I won't buy a car that costs more than 1/3 of my annual salary. That's a rule I made up for myself after hating life a few times when I bought cars that cost 1/2 (or slightly more) than my annual salary. Sticking by this rule keeps me away from some high end cars, sure, but I always enjoy my cars so much more when I feel like I can afford to own and maintain them.
I'm breaking this (very smart and sensible) rule in order to get a GT specced to my liking. A loaded EB PP with x-plan would be on the money for me, no pun intended, but you and the OP look to be much more controlled with your spending.

I've come up with some pretty emotional reasoning to back my decision... at this time I won't settle for anything less than a naturally-aspirated V8 with a manual and some bucket seats. Those points need to be checked for me. Figure I'll be sensible with my future purchase following this bad boy.

The EB is an extremely appealing option and it definitely looks like the highest value offering of the three. We'll all be happy with any of our choices, I'm sure.
Sponsored

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
sounds like a squared away guy who made a good decision. I'm also getting the EcoBoost premium !! :thumbsup:

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
I'm a huge advocate of financial responsibility. I've made conservative choices for the last 20 years. In the end you know what you can do and what you can afford. Being house poor or car poor sucks....

BUT

This is your last chance at a V8..Unless you have a fist full of cash you probably won't ever be able to afford another. The only new cars that will be produced with V8s are going to be 100k plus hybrid mixes and the used V8 market will double overnight (if gas stays under $6 bucks a gallon).

So again do what you can afford just remember that we are at the top of a mountain and it's all twin turbo sixes and 4 cylinder turbos for the long trip down to google cars. The twin t sixes are beastly so it isn't like you are going to lack in performance while those are produced.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Come to think of it, you can walk away with a very nicely equipped M235i for ~$45k (not sticker), which just shows where GT pricing has positioned itself.

Robinson02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 5.0
I don't know how much money you make, but personally I won't buy a car that costs more than 1/3 of my annual salary. That's a rule I made up for myself after hating life a few times when I bought cars that cost 1/2 (or slightly more) than my annual salary. Sticking by this rule keeps me away from some high end cars, sure, but I always enjoy my cars so much more when I feel like I can afford to own and maintain them.
It really just depends on how much you like to spend. I make a 46k a year at 22 years old. I worked my butt off through college to graduate and be able to have the car I want. So people need to make 100k a year to get a 35k GT? I'll pass. This will be my first car that I will own completely by myself. 3k a month after taxes come out. Payments will be 480 a month and insurance 200. Gas 150 a month. So less than 1/3 of my paycheck will be for my car. It depends on what you like to spend your money on.

Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Agree with that ^. I think this is the last decade of dinosaur powered vehicles.
Heck, even my 1+ acre lawn and brush is easily taken care of now with a 36V weed whacker.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Good choice. It shows absolute maturity and intelligence. Additionally 300+ hp and 300+tq is plenty. Couple that with drastically improved affordability and ta freakin' da WINNER.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that your level headedness and intelligence will allow you to advance in your chosen field and soon you'll be able to afford your 5.0 or even gt350.

ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There is no "motor" powering any Mustang. If there is an electric car, well that is powered by a "motor". A Mustang has an engine.

I do not believe this is the last chance for a buyer to get a V-8. If the last Ford V-8 engine is used on the 2015 Mustang there will still be, when today's buyer gets older and richer, new V-8s available from Mercedes, Corvette and maybe even a pushrod hemi in a Dodge but there will be used Mustangs with V-8s available for decades to come. So no big deal; get an EB now and some sort of V-8 at a later date.

- ranchero -

SeaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
I'm going against the grain on this myself. I got my first GT when I was around your age, yeah it was a bit of a sacrifice but a WHOLE LOT of goddamned fun :-) And experiences you can ONLY have when youre young. I drove that thing like I stole it always and made some memories. You wont ever get those things back if you wait till your 35 to get one. Trust me. Live for now. Always.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR

Sponsored

SeaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
By the way, hetes my solid recommendation to you. Ditch the ecoboost, buy a GT Base for 32 and around 31 net with the 750 coupon with xplan and have some frickin fun. No leather seats ain't gonna do anything bad for you when you got a 5.0. Trust me on this, I've been your age and I can tell you what to sacrifice and what to get. Give up the premium keep the V8. Best advice you are going to get on this thread.

oldlugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Bullitt & '09 KR
What if it was all electric? I say no lol
I say, ESPECIALLY if it's all electric. I'm waiting anxiously for the day Ford gives us a fast AWD electric Mustang !!!
I still don't understand how anyone can't see the potential of 600+ foot pounds torque, right from zero RPM... YOWZA !

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sorry but you are going to regret this decision. Buying a car like this is a passion thing. If you wanted to be responsible get a fiesta focus or fusion. When it comes to the mustang buy the best engine you can.

ARS

Threads
Reaction score
By the way, hetes my solid recommendation to you. Ditch the ecoboost, buy a GT Base for 32 and around 31 net with the 750 coupon with xplan and have some frickin fun. No leather seats ain't gonna do anything bad for you when you got a 5.0. Trust me on this, I've been your age and I can tell you what to sacrifice and what to get. Give up the premium keep the V8. Best advice you are going to get on this thread.
+1

Im not into gizmos and gadgets. I want the drive experience and nothing can ever duplicate a V8. Nothing wrong with turbo 4 at all. I dont think the gas mileage spread will be more than 6-7 mpg. Fords turbo engines eat gas. I am just not into all of the extras. Just give me A/c, cruise control and an AM/FM radio and I am pretty happy. There imo just nothing that can duplicate the feel of V8 torque. And the 5.0 is pretty efficient for what it is.

I applaud you for being responsible. That is smart. Just make sure you do some serious soul searching before you sign the papers. Im happy for you no matter what you do but you are the one paying for it and has to live with it. I would personally have to test drive both if I was in your boat to see for sure.
Sponsored