Sponsored

Why I Switched From 5.0 to Ecoboost.

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
So, ever since I saw Nicholas Cage jump across a dozen cars in Gone In Sixty Seconds I have wanted a Mustang. It has been my dream car since I was about 15(I'm 23 now) My best friends brother got a white 05 Mustang GT the very first year it came out. I saw it in person and got to drive it, I was hooked. From then on I knew I had to have a Mustang.

I worked, I saved, I went to school and got a degree in IT and got a well paying job. I went to Ford, I purchased a 40K+ loaded GT.

I shortly realized I may have made a mistake, although I'd kill for this car I started to contemplate the financial responsibility of my recent purchase. The insurance, the gas, the car....it all seemed a bit overwhelming. I plan to move out, and I do not want to live paycheck to paycheck just to say I have a V8.

So I called Ford and changed my order to a Ecoboost Premium. Much lower price tag, much better on gas and should be better on insurance.

Overall? I'm happy, I still get a mustang and in the future maybe I can trade up. But I think I made the right move and can live a lot more comfortably. I don't think a car even if it is a mustang should make you nervous about your financial situation. I'm sure the aftermarket will be amazing for this car and I will be able to tailor the car how I see fit, at my own pace.

I consider myself lucky to even be in the situation I am in and I know people would kill to be where I am now. I'd hate to put myself in a hole just for bragging rights.

Well, thanks for reading guys. I figured id share my story. Some of you may not agree with my move, some of you may say V8 or no Mustang at all. But I'm glad Im still going to be part of the mustang family. :thumbsup: :headbang:
Dude I HEAR YOU! I'm 24, an EE, and also with what i'd consider a good job. And I had to mull over the same decision last year and got the v6... Paid it off in a year. Then started looking forward to the 2015. Mulled it over again and decided I have this single chance to get the car I wan't and have been dreaming of also since I was 15... Decided to go all out and get up what i needed for the LE. Planned it about 2 years ago (before i even "knew" it would be an LE coming out) and started saving and babied the crap out of that v6 for trade-in/selling (although I truly enjoyed it). Now I've pre-ordered my LE and I look forward to reasonable payments to be cleared in <2 years.:clap2::headbang:

TO EACH HIS OWN!!!!! The end of the day you should be happy with what you buy. Period. That includes considering the financial burden vs the car you love. I hope you enjoy your car to the fullest and you two stay together for a long time to come... I don't think you'll be able to recreate the love with another car. I plan to enjoy mine until I pass it down to my future off-spring.

Cheers my friend and enjoy your ride!
Sponsored

EleanorsBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
So, ever since I saw Nicholas Cage jump across a dozen cars in Gone In Sixty Seconds I have wanted a Mustang. It has been my dream car since I was about 15(I'm 23 now) My best friends brother got a white 05 Mustang GT the very first year it came out. I saw it in person and got to drive it, I was hooked. From then on I knew I had to have a Mustang.

I worked, I saved, I went to school and got a degree in IT and got a well paying job. I went to Ford, I purchased a 40K+ loaded GT.

I shortly realized I may have made a mistake, although I'd kill for this car I started to contemplate the financial responsibility of my recent purchase. The insurance, the gas, the car....it all seemed a bit overwhelming. I plan to move out, and I do not want to live paycheck to paycheck just to say I have a V8.

So I called Ford and changed my order to a Ecoboost Premium. Much lower price tag, much better on gas and should be better on insurance.

Overall? I'm happy, I still get a mustang and in the future maybe I can trade up. But I think I made the right move and can live a lot more comfortably. I don't think a car even if it is a mustang should make you nervous about your financial situation. I'm sure the aftermarket will be amazing for this car and I will be able to tailor the car how I see fit, at my own pace.

I consider myself lucky to even be in the situation I am in and I know people would kill to be where I am now. I'd hate to put myself in a hole just for bragging rights.

Well, thanks for reading guys. I figured id share my story. Some of you may not agree with my move, some of you may say V8 or no Mustang at all. But I'm glad Im still going to be part of the mustang family. :thumbsup: :headbang:
SLVRBACK - Are you me?!?
  1. I fell in love with the Mustang because of Gone in 60 Seconds
  2. I am 24 years old
  3. I worked through college, and now have a well paying job in IT
  4. I considered getting the GT, but landed on the Ecoboost Premium because it was more affordable and more "responsible"
  5. I am originally from Long Island (though I now live in Michigan after going to college here, and finding a job here)
:shocked::clap2:

Seriously, it feels like I'm looking in a mirror.

Just don't tell me you also ordered your 2015 in Deep Impact Blue. Did you?!

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
V8s in the UK are few & far between (in any car), i've always wanted a V8 Mustang, couldnt afford one. I've had a 79 Corvette & a 79 Trans Am but still wanted a stang.
When the european pre order opened up I put myself down for the V8, it was a head or heart moment .. my immediate thought was having an EB and pulling up somewhere for someone to say has that got a V8 .... um no its a ecoboost :( so i went for the V8. Then Ford phoned me and said i was one of the lucky first on the list :)
European pricing hasn't been announced yet but they're expecting starting prices of £30,000 for the EB ($49,500) and £35,000 for the V8 ($57,800) - sadly i can probably afford neither but at a push i'll probably have to give in to the ecoboost. Couple that with a first year road tax rate of £1090 ($1800) for the V8, then £500 ($825) a year after that and our fuel is touching $10 a gallon the V8 makes no financial sense over here.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I've still deciding between an EB or GT without PP. I want to see the real world gas #s and let these EB get a few months on them to see how they handle in the wild and see peoples opinions on them vs the GT. I am worried that the Turbo will not have a long life expectancy.

My SOHC v6 in my explorer is still running like new at 170K and my father has a turbo in his Optima and the consumer/car mags are rating the reliability on the turbos as not high at all so that worries me about the Ford turbo 4.

I would get a v6 but they don't offer sh-t in options on it. No premium which is a real bummer.

midnite9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT
Ive owned 4 5.0 fox mustangs, one SVO and a 2012 v6 mustang. I will most likely be buying a premium, performance pack ecoboost. About the same price as a base GT, but much more car!

Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I would drive both before making any kind of decision. I was liking the idea of an Ecoboost, but was a bit disappointed on the final numbers. Sounds like it will be right around the performance of my 07 GT. Now I'm leaning toward the GT.

I personally think it's great to be financially responsible, but if you can be patient and wait a few months, and you don't need a fully loaded car, a lightly equipped GT won't cost you that much more, especially if you are financing.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I've still deciding between an EB or GT without PP. I want to see the real world gas #s and let these EB get a few months on them to see how they handle in the wild and see peoples opinions on them vs the GT. I am worried that the Turbo will not have a long life expectancy.

My SOHC v6 in my explorer is still running like new at 170K and my father has a turbo in his Optima and the consumer/car mags are rating the reliability on the turbos as not high at all so that worries me about the Ford turbo 4.
The durability tests for current Ford engines are torturous. Have you seen the videos of the F series EcoBoost engine testing?

To the OP - you have made a change that hopefully you will appreciate for the reasons you mention. The 320 ft-lb of torque should feel really great for around town driving.

jeebuspwnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
m3
It really just depends on how much you like to spend. I make a 46k a year at 22 years old. I worked my butt off through college to graduate and be able to have the car I want. So people need to make 100k a year to get a 35k GT? I'll pass. This will be my first car that I will own completely by myself. 3k a month after taxes come out. Payments will be 480 a month and insurance 200. Gas 150 a month. So less than 1/3 of my paycheck will be for my car. It depends on what you like to spend your money on.
As I said, it's just my rule. I've owned over 20 cars since I started driving 18 years ago and have spent more than I should have on a few of them. :D

I just came to the conclusion after a while that I enjoyed the car more when the purchase price came to ~1/3 of my salary (or less). That way I never really worried about what might get a little worn out while tracking, or having to scrape cash just to replace a set of tires, etc.

A lot of people in my income bracket actually look down on me for buying cars as lowly as the Mustang. I think they're crazy for caring so much about status that they don't feel content unless each new car costs a boatload more than the last. Cars (to me) aren't about status and they are about more than just commuting too. They are about passion and fun. I've never owned a v8 OR an American car...this will tick both boxes and man am I excited.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The durability tests for current Ford engines are torturous. Have you seen the videos of the F series EcoBoost engine testing?
Lets hope Tony. I hope it lasts a long long time without issues.

Like we've talked about earlier, I'm still leaning towards the EB like you are...I just want to make sure I like the sound, ride, etc.

Going to my Ford this Friday to see a Silver EB with PP :)

I wish they would have given the v6 more options like a premium.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Lets hope Tony. I hope it lasts a long long time without issues.
There is an article in one of the recent monthly car magazines that describes the actual tests. They far exceed what many would be likely to do on the road in a passenger car. Between running at max RPM, injecting super cold fluids into a red hot engine, cycling over hundreds of hours, etc., I personally have pretty high confidence unless I was going to race my car as it's primary use. That's a different story, of course.

Like we've talked about earlier, I'm still leaning towards the EB like you are...I just want to make sure I like the sound, ride, etc.
Actually, I opted for the V8 :) I currently drive around a car with similar power output (2010 GT with 4.6L V8), and the V8 sound experience for the 2015 was part of my purchase criteria.

Going to my Ford this Friday to see a Silver EB with PP :)
Enjoy, and love to see some photos if you get a chance.

I wish they would have given the v6 more options like a premium.
It would have been nice, but I believe you would feel the difference in the engine outputs because of the torque difference (280 for the V6, 320 for the turbo 4). Around town and accelerating up to highway speeds is where the torque makes a difference in performance feel, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the 3.7L engine - it really brought the Mustang forward when it was introduced in 2011. Since there is another option with the new engine, I believe folks will notice turbo 4 feeling stronger in acceleration, especially from a standstill. I have generally not felt my 2010 GT was underpowered for a daily driver. If I was drag racing a lot, I might feel otherwise.

Sponsored

SeaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
Ive owned 4 5.0 fox mustangs, one SVO and a 2012 v6 mustang. I will most likely be buying a premium, performance pack ecoboost. About the same price as a base GT, but much more car!
I don't know how you'd define "more car" but it's not any way I would define cars. A 33K base GT with performance pack would stonp your car every day of the week in every conceivable way

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I don't know how you'd define "more car" but it's not any way I would define cars. A 33K base GT with performance pack would stonp your car every day of the week in every conceivable way
I think he's saying you'll get way more car (options, etc) for your $$$ if you go with the EB

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Actually, I opted for the V8 :) I currently drive around a car with similar power output (2010 GT with 4.6L V8), and the V8 sound experience for the 2015 was part of my purchase criteria.
Damn really? I swear you and me had the same actual car spec'd out with color, features, etc...lol. :)

Yes, that will be something I want to hear and wish they had a V8 also this week at the dealer.

I'll definitely take a ton of pics and I'll get a video of the EB starting up and engine sound.

And yah, since I'll be using the Mustang as a daily driver, it's going to be hard for me NOT to get the EB. It just makes way more economical sense really.

midnite9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT
I think he's saying you'll get way more car (options, etc) for your $$$ if you go with the EB
exactly. nicer interior of the premium, leather seats, better stereo etc.

My 2012 V6 was a base model with the only option being the performance package. I liked it like that, but at the same time did miss some nice things that the premium comes with.

I fully plan to buy the ecoboost slightly used, and upgrade to a GT350 or whatever special editions are around in 2017+ :D

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
I'm a huge advocate of financial responsibility. I've made conservative choices for the last 20 years. In the end you know what you can do and what you can afford. Being house poor or car poor sucks....

BUT

This is your last chance at a V8..Unless you have a fist full of cash you probably won't ever be able to afford another. The only new cars that will be produced with V8s are going to be 100k plus hybrid mixes and the used V8 market will double overnight (if gas stays under $6 bucks a gallon).

So again do what you can afford just remember that we are at the top of a mountain and it's all twin turbo sixes and 4 cylinder turbos for the long trip down to google cars. The twin t sixes are beastly so it isn't like you are going to lack in performance while those are produced.
:crazy:
Sponsored