Sponsored

Why does Mustang GT cost $5K more than Camaro LT1 ?

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I have been thinking about buying a Mustang GT but what I want seems to be impossible to find so I will probably have to order one. I want manual tranny and I don't want black seats so that seems to eliminate 99.9% of the dealer ordered/stock cars.

So I started considering the Camaro LT1 just to open up the search boundaries. What I see is that configured equivalently the Camaro LT1 costs about $5K less than then a Mustang GT. I have not looked at the Camaro in person, so I'm not sure where that $5K extra is coming from for the Mustang. I have rented Mustang convertibles (GTs and Ecoboost) 4 times while visiting Knoxville so I am somewhat familiar with the Mustang.

I'm looking for a fun weekend/mountain road car, NOT a track car. Moving to east TN next month after 40+ years in central Florida, so I want a 2nd car that will be fun on those roads up there.

Thanks.
Because g.m. put a great drivetrain and handling platform in a body that is hard to see out of as a 1971 mach1 is. And the interior is better now than pre 2016 but controls are odd, and takes getting used too. they forgot it isn't 1968 anymore.
I drove a loaded up performance optioned SS2 camaro, it runs rings around the Gt, but the interior is a let down and the view out the car seems to be an issue, but not in a lambo. so there is a bias there. Wife hated the Drivers placement in the camaro. as we rented both a camaro and mustang before I bought a car, so I'd know what one she be happier with and in turn be easier to spend money on. lol.
G.m. hoped the raw performance of the platform would be the selling point. and it is, but the 2016 update, they should have taken the SS 4 doors dash and copied it and put it in the camaro. put the always on c8's rear view mirror camera in it so the lack of view out the back isn't an issue. and it be a 100 times better car.
That said I want a lt4 and ten speed to drop into my older Chevy 2 door car. and take the stock 185hp slug out of it.
Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
My guess is the Mustang costs more for the same reason the Mustang is getting an S650 chassis while the Camaro is getting discontinued: There is more demand for the Mustang.

...And in case that didn't confuse enough people, the current LT1 is the 3rd engine to have that designation. (The first was in 1970.)

So a Camaro with an LT1, in 1LT trim, is the least expensive V8 they sell? At $5000 under the Mustang GT's price, they're still not selling well enough to keep making them.
Nah, the camaro. cost as most would buy it. loaded up ss2 is a 50k car, more like a 54k car. unlike ford gm has another performance toy, called the vette. Kill the camaro, and make a bare bones base vette, at the 60k price point. and move enough volume of vettes to keep it around. over having two performance cars fighting over the same buyers.
I think ford is going to be caught with it's pants down, thinking the camaro death is a win.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Nah, the camaro. cost as most would buy it. loaded up ss2 is a 50k car, more like a 54k car. unlike ford gm has another performance toy, called the vette. Kill the camaro, and make a bare bones base vette, at the 60k price point. and move enough volume of vettes to keep it around. over having two performance cars fighting over the same buyers.
I think ford is going to be caught with it's pants down, thinking the camaro death is a win.
They did have the C8 base price at $60k the first year it came out. I’d be willing to bet not many people actually got one for $60k…Mustang and Corvette don’t compete directly, never have. Remember, Ford introduced the T-bird as a competitor to the Vette, not the Mustang. Will Ford let off the gas with the Camaro, Challenger and Charger all gone? Maybe. All indications are with the S650 that they’re not, at least not yet.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
drive both and buy the one that you like better. I have to say though if you’re going manual the challenger and camaro offer much better transmissions. I daily a manual 392 challenger and it’s such a good trans definitely couldn’t get a manual mustang without the tremec.

Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Will Ford let off the gas with the Camaro, Challenger and Charger all gone? Maybe. All indications are with the S650 that they’re not, at least not yet.
I agree.
When the Camaro was discontinued in 2002, Ford didn’t slack off.
They went ahead and sold the Terminator for 2003.
They introduced the S197, and kept developing it at a steady pace, introducing the GT500, putting the Coyote in the Mustang GT, etc.
I think someone at Ford was smart enough to realize that people who would have bought a Camaro wouldn’t automatically buy a Mustang. They’d cross-shop other cars (including the Corvette) and Ford would have to work to sell them a car.

It seems the same now. Mustangs have had to compete with things besides the Camaro, and Ford continues to work at it.
Among other signs, the S650s dashboard sure looks like Ford saw something besides the Camaro as competition

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
They did have the C8 base price at $60k the first year it came out. I’d be willing to bet not many people actually got one for $60k…Mustang and Corvette don’t compete directly, never have. Remember, Ford introduced the T-bird as a competitor to the Vette, not the Mustang. Will Ford let off the gas with the Camaro, Challenger and Charger all gone? Maybe. All indications are with the S650 that they’re not, at least not yet.
Don't matter if the compete directly. fact is the performance car/sports car buyer pool is getting smaller. And if you have two performance cars, that are the same price point and one runs circles around the other one. That buyer pool that hasn't been brand loyal for 30 odd years now, is going to at least look into the other offerings even if the talking heads claim they are not in the same class of vehicle and are not competing with each other.
the buyer of say the dark horse if it is priced at 75 k, loaded, will look at a c8 base with z51 and magnaride that is a 77k car. before the dealership pricing b/s. Other than the guys that are ford or no car. everyone else will cross shop.
I mean, I cross shopped and it is how I ended up in a mustang.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Don't matter if the compete directly. fact is the performance car/sports car buyer pool is getting smaller. And if you have two performance cars, that are the same price point and one runs circles around the other one. That buyer pool that hasn't been brand loyal for 30 odd years now, is going to at least look into the other offerings even if the talking heads claim they are not in the same class of vehicle and are not competing with each other.
the buyer of say the dark horse if it is priced at 75 k, loaded, will look at a c8 base with z51 and magnaride that is a 77k car. before the dealership pricing b/s. Other than the guys that are ford or no car. everyone else will cross shop.
I mean, I cross shopped and it is how I ended up in a mustang.
I cross shopped as well. I looked at the Camaro, Charger and Challenger. Corvette wasn’t even in the picture. Maybe the Shelby guys looked at the C8 and maybe C8 shoppers looked at Shelby’s, but your average Mustang buyer is not cross shopping a Vette. And there are far more Ecoboost and GT buyers than Shelby buyers. You are probably right that a Dark Horse shopper may compare it to a C8 and vice versa but that’s probably as far as it goes as far as Mustang/Vette competition. And even then I still don’t really believe they’re competitors. Just my $0.02

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I cross shopped as well. I looked at the Camaro, Charger and Challenger. Corvette wasn’t even in the picture. Maybe the Shelby guys looked at the C8 and maybe C8 shoppers looked at Shelby’s, but your average Mustang buyer is not cross shopping a Vette. And there are far more Ecoboost and GT buyers than Shelby buyers. You are probably right that a Dark Horse shopper may compare it to a C8 and vice versa but that’s probably as far as it goes as far as Mustang/Vette competition. And even then I still don’t really believe they’re competitors. Just my $0.02
The C8 Corvette is my aspirational car. That is, if/when I have a lot more money, that's the one I want to buy, and if I'd had $100K to spend I would have bought it rather than the Mustang. Nothing against the Mustang, but as you say, the Corvette's in another class. I briefly considered the Camaro and the Challenger but quickly discounted them. But that was more to double-check the decision to buy the Mustang that I'd already made.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The C8 Corvette is my aspirational car. That is, if/when I have a lot more money, that's the one I want to buy, and if I'd had $100K to spend I would have bought it rather than the Mustang. Nothing against the Mustang, but as you say, the Corvette's in another class. I briefly considered the Camaro and the Challenger but quickly discounted them. But that was more to double-check the decision to buy the Mustang that I'd already made.
The C8 is a great car, I just don’t fill well in them for some reason. Feels too cramped for me. C7 Z06 or ZR1 is on my list. The C7 would be an addition to, not a replacement of, my Mustang. The Corvettes are just next level over a Mustang GT and that’s not a slight on the Mustang at all. Just totally different cars.

Sponsored

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
I went thru this before getting my M1. I also placed an order for a 2SS 1LE. IMO the feel of the Mustang is just better. The overall ergonomics and visibility warrant the price difference (personal opinion). Plus, Chevy dealers are tacking on ADMs on 1LEs in my area.

I'm now also considering a base Mustang GT or 1SS 1LE for daily driving, and again, I'm leaning towards the Mustang.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang is by far the better daily in just about ever metric you can think of, visibility, comfort, storage, design, ext...it just has it all in one package and it's not hard to see why it sells better and demands a higher price. If you're looking for the better car to live with it's the Mustang.

Now if you take all of that daily driving crap and throw it out of the window and you're looking for the better drivers car, it's the Camaro. The drivers position is far better and like a cockpit, the manual trans is amazing and actually geared correctly(18+ S550 is not), and the tq from the LT1 is great and useable all the time on the street.

After having both for a couple of years now I prefer the Camaro. I also daily drove a sport bike for years so keep that in mind...I seem to prefer the experience over comfort or what's easier. If you asked my wife what she preferred she would tell you the Mustang x 1000 as it was sooo easy to live with.

Also, enjoy TN @Onewolf and good luck with whatever choice you make! It's a good time to get out of Central Florida for sure.(I've been here 40+ years also)

ISHLISS

Chevy & Ford Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro LT1
I bought the LT1

Keep in mind these are all my opinions, and I will leave things such as appearance and sound out because that's all subjective.

This was a comparison between a NO OPTION (besides Automatic) Camaro Vs NO OPTION (besides Automatic) Mustang.

Mustang Pros
- I work for a Ford dealership, better pricing, service.
- Visibility
- Trunk space
- More aftermarket
- More boost friendly

Mustang cons
- More expensive even with employee pricing
- Softer suspension
- 18 inch wheels
- Steering is numb
- Steering wheel is too large in diameter
- Don't like the seats as much
- There are million of them in my area
- TINY INFOTAINMENT SCREEN can't believe Ford offers that.

Camaro Pros
- Cheaper even with Ford employee discount
- Suspension is tighter and has almost no body roll
- Steering is probably the best I have ever felt
- 20 inch wheels
- After driving both 10 speeds, GMs trans tuning is much better.
- Even though I ended up with the 10 speed, if I wanted a manual, the Mustang wouldn't even be considered. But my wife drives occasionally so I needed the auto.
- None in my area
- Sunroof

Camaro Cons
- Can't see shit out of this thing
- Helmet does not fit through the window
- Less aftermarket support
- Seats dont recline very far

I am very happy with my purchase. I wanted a bare bones V8 sports car and that's exactly what I got. Anyone cross shopping these two wont be upset with their purchase. It just comes down to what you like and what you are willing to live with. The Mustang is more "livable" in that it easier to see out of. But sacrifices too much performance for comfort IMO.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I bought the LT1

Keep in mind these are all my opinions, and I will leave things such as appearance and sound out because that's all subjective.

This was a comparison between a NO OPTION (besides Automatic) Camaro Vs NO OPTION (besides Automatic) Mustang.

Mustang Pros
- I work for a Ford dealership, better pricing, service.
- Visibility
- Trunk space
- More aftermarket
- More boost friendly

Mustang cons
- More expensive even with employee pricing
- Softer suspension
- 18 inch wheels
- Steering is numb
- Steering wheel is too large in diameter
- Don't like the seats as much
- There are million of them in my area
- TINY INFOTAINMENT SCREEN can't believe Ford offers that.

Camaro Pros
- Cheaper even with Ford employee discount
- Suspension is tighter and has almost no body roll
- Steering is probably the best I have ever felt
- 20 inch wheels
- After driving both 10 speeds, GMs trans tuning is much better.
- Even though I ended up with the 10 speed, if I wanted a manual, the Mustang wouldn't even be considered. But my wife drives occasionally so I needed the auto.
- None in my area
- Sunroof

Camaro Cons
- Can't see shit out of this thing
- Helmet does not fit through the window
- Less aftermarket support
- Seats dont recline very far

I am very happy with my purchase. I wanted a bare bones V8 sports car and that's exactly what I got. Anyone cross shopping these two wont be upset with their purchase. It just comes down to what you like and what you are willing to live with. The Mustang is more "livable" in that it easier to see out of. But sacrifices too much performance for comfort IMO.
I’m curious what your employee pricing is. I just did a build and price on both LT1 and GT. Only option was automatic as you stated. $41k Mustang and $39k Camaro. The Camaro was still cheaper than the Mustang with employee pricing? Not calling BS, I just really don’t know how much of a discount the Ford employee is.

ISHLISS

Chevy & Ford Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro LT1
This was almost two years ago. It looks like the LT1 has had a couple price increases since I bought mine. The difference in price wasn't substantial but the LT1 came with more standard features so while the prices were close, they were much farther off if I optioned the Mustang to the same as the Camaro.
Sponsored

Last edited: