Sponsored

Why do I need an Intercooler?

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You're just gambling with your motor if you don't use some form of cooler for compressed air. If you go the forced induction route, don't be cheap, and do it right the first time. It's not all about the extra whp, as people said, it's about intake temps, proper tuning due to more reliable intake temp (lower temp means more volume of air/higher temp less volume, which will effect fuel:air), higher temps will cause detonation, and driving in a hot state could lead to over heating in traffic. Don't skimp on the intercooler.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cooler air, more power. End of story. If you're going to modify, do it right and once.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
A lot of guys did a 50/50 meth/water mix in lieu of an intercooler with low boost. This was on 2v/3v though.

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A lot of guys did a 50/50 meth/water mix in lieu of an intercooler with low boost. This was on 2v/3v though.
And then you have the hassle of filling your meth tank, and if it's tuned for max power, and you run out and floor it...Good luck...

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
Which is why you tune your spark vs iat.

I'm a fan of intercoolers trust me. But this isn't to say a meth setup can't be done safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

RobHunt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, RR, PP, 401A, NAV
Back in the day, the 5.0L mill was bigger, heavier and put out significantly less HP, perhaps you could have hooked up some FI system without an intercooler? The new 5.0 is smaller, lighter and likely reaching its max output (maybe another 100HP keeping it NA) considering the build specs and internals, you could likely hook up a kit without a intercooler and have it work albeit with a significant amount of risk. Today's engines are not built to the same standards as the 70's; using lighter materials, higher compression ratios, etc. The FI companies want to sell a product that is reliable and has zero issues out the door and for their warranty period.

If it was just "hype", you would think that the FI cars coming out of the factory would omit the intercooler as it would likely be a significant cost savings to the manufacturer ... I doubt you will find any factory FI cars without an intercooler. The reason that factory boosted cars have the intercooler is because they need one, to be reliable and survive the warranty period.

peppersam740

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
intercooler

I always wondered what would happen if the intercooler developed a coolant leak under the supercharger.:shrug:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Nothing to worry about on an air-to-air IC setup.

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6M
Thanks for the input guys, I do appreciate it. My math in pretty extreme circumstances(best for the worse case scenario) is ambient temps of 110 degrees in houston traffic lol. Even with heat soak of not moving, and all of the sudden i need to for some reason go WOT to 150mph at 8psi my highest intake temp to the engine would be 210 degrees compared to 160 degrees with an Intercooler. Less extreme more realistic is 180 degree temp vs 120 drgee temp at WOT with 80 degree ambient. This is only at wot/6000+ rpms where the boost will be, other 95% of the time ill be at 1 -2 psi, with temps of 8-20 degrees higher than the IC. Are these temps too high/dangerous for a daily driver? Please input.

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 50th with PP
Thanks for the input guys, I do appreciate it. My math in pretty extreme circumstances(best for the worse case scenario) is ambient temps of 110 degrees in houston traffic lol. Even with heat soak of not moving, and all of the sudden i need to for some reason go WOT to 150mph at 8psi my highest intake temp to the engine would be 210 degrees compared to 160 degrees with an Intercooler. Less extreme more realistic is 180 degree temp vs 120 drgee temp at WOT with 80 degree ambient. This is only at wot/6000+ rpms where the boost will be, other 95% of the time ill be at 1 -2 psi, with temps of 8-20 degrees higher than the IC. Are these temps too high/dangerous for a daily driver? Please input.

Boost is relative as just referencing boost negates v/e ...

That being said, the blower puts out a lot of heat. When Im sitting in stop and go traffic even with an intercooler I dont like my temps.

I tried running my M3 (Much higher compression than these motors ) at 4.5psi without an intercooler (This is a popular kit option for E46/92 M3's) for a summer and it was an absolute nightmare ... I made it 6 weeks before I stabbed an intercooler in and ran 8.5psi.

Just do the whole thing upfront. It will save you time, and ultimately, money.

Sponsored

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So im driving to work cruising 70mph at 2000 rpms ish not getting hardly any boost maybe 1-2 psi or less. Then see a Corvette Merge on and Pass it by downshifting to 3rd and hit boost form 5-8 PSI for 30 seconds at a time. What would you guess the Horsepower difference would be between Me with an Intercooler and Me without one for this situation? Assume 80 degrees out or whatever.

*Again so everyone reading knows im talking about a centrifugal SC, the most efficient least taxing until pressed charger.
80 degrees is not cool.

30 seconds under 5-8psi (wot) will generate an insane amount of heat. - You would see an appreciable amount of heat soak and power loss WITH an intercooler. I cant imagine what it would be like without one.

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Centrifugal are 90%+ efficient at low rpms at worse the Paxton goes to 75%, running wot at for 30 seconds wouldnt heat up intake temps anymore than running wot for 2-3 seconds in. The issue with 30 seconds of WOT is the issue you face in NA or any car. She'll be hot, engine oil temps will probably be 3/4 the way to overheating but not there yet. Intercooler effect on that would be minimal.

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Centrifugal are 90%+ efficient at low rpms at worse the Paxton goes to 75%, running wot at for 30 seconds wouldnt heat up intake temps anymore than running wot for 2-3 seconds in. The issue with 30 seconds of WOT is the issue you face in NA or any car. She'll be hot, engine oil temps will probably be 3/4 the way to overheating but not there yet. Intercooler effect on that would be minimal.
Good call.

Last edited:

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
I am going to make this short, sweet and to the point.

#1) The cost savings on our kit would be minimal ~$500 for the deduct.
#2) The drop in power gain would be nearly half
#3) This motor is VERY high compression, and does not like heat.

Back in the day, when motors were 9:1 or 9.5:1 there was a much larger room for temp increase, and also pump gas was better.

There is a reason why our systems made SO much more then our competitor that for years didn't include intercoolers in their systems.

In the end, the cost savings would hardly touch the drop in power gains.
At least IMHO.

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am going to make this short, sweet and to the point.

#1) The cost savings on our kit would be minimal ~$500 for the deduct.
#2) The drop in power gain would be nearly half
#3) This motor is VERY high compression, and does not like heat.

Back in the day, when motors were 9:1 or 9.5:1 there was a much larger room for temp increase, and also pump gas was better.

There is a reason why our systems made SO much more then our competitor that for years didn't include intercoolers in their systems.

In the end, the cost savings would hardly touch the drop in power gains.
At least IMHO.
I take your word for it, Ill get an intercooler, cost was never a factor, just wanted to understand.
Sponsored