I admit, I’d love to put an LS into a GT and see how it performs

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
says the guy who bought a 401A with all it's "useless" trinkets. Ford et. al. make BANK on options by charging ~3-5x what they actually cost. People buy options because they think they want them.
Yep, and it shows on resale. High trim cars take a huge bath when traded in lol.
I admit, I’d love to put an LS into a GT and see how it performs
This is an illegal thought. Police will be arriving at your residence shortly.

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not just vettes. All Chevy vehicles with that 8 speed. The fluid change helped a bit but long-term in vehicles that are actually driven for miles the 8 speed is still a problem. I have lived in the birthplace of GM for the entirety of my life. Here everyone buys GM with a discount (everyone either is related to GM employee or works at GM) and people are well aware of the 8 speed issues.
I would never touch another car with the A8. I had to lemon law a new 2019 C7 thanks to shudder and rear end warble at around 400 miles. My C6 was much better. Anyone that buys a used C7 out of warranty with a A8 is not gonna be happy when they gotta pay out of pocket.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The argument against is that you can't not see it, and that you can't get rid of it without losing the HUD function entirely. I don't want to see anything straight ahead of me in the windshield that isn't a real, physical object out there ahead of the car. Never mind putting up with the idea that I'm supposed to continuously monitor how fast I'm going.

FWIW, I don't use any form of in-car electronic navigation. Don't need to.
It’s one of those features you don’t need until you have it and once you become accustomed to it, there’s no going back. Very similar to active rev match. I’ve done human operated rev matching subconsciously my entire life driving. Didn’t need active rev match, didn’t want it but it came standard on my 2021 Camaro. Not sure exactly when it happened but I gave it a try one day and it’s been about two months since I’ve done a human operated rev match.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
HUD is to the camaro. What my color is to a mustang as far as I’m concerned. A gadget. :idea:Had hud in my last camaro. Liked it but could live without it. Same for my color in the mustang.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
HUD is to the camaro. What my color is to a mustang as far as I’m concerned. A gadget. :idea:Had hud in my last camaro. Liked it but could live without it. Same for my color in the mustang.
I thought I would never own a non-yellow sports car but here I am driving a Shock colored 2021 Camaro. :cwl:

The last yellow for now*
E550110C-6E61-41F9-A791-B505466EBE60.jpeg

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The argument against is that you can't not see it, and that you can't get rid of it without losing the HUD function entirely.
trust me, I routinely don't see/register the HUD's presence. I actually have to remind myself and remember to think to look at it.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The argument against is that you can't not see it, and that you can't get rid of it without losing the HUD function entirely. I don't want to see anything straight ahead of me in the windshield that isn't a real, physical object out there ahead of the car. Never mind putting up with the idea that I'm supposed to continuously monitor how fast I'm going.

FWIW, I don't use any form of in-car electronic navigation. Don't need to.

The thing is, I'd be on board with the idea if they'd get these displays away from central vision and move it over to the A-pillar. The A-pillar gauge is always there (showing mph and coolant temperature). The other items are only there at track days. I would find any display in (roughly) the black oval to be distracting, particularly when any numbers or bars change.

Aeroforce gauges and Aim Solo.jpg

I'm maybe 5'-10, and I didn't find the double-hump instrument panel shape to be particularly intrusive when I got a brief drive in a 6th gen 1SS a couple of years ago.

Norm
I respectfully disagree completely. I prefer it centralized being that it is somewhat translucent and i dont have to look away from the road even for a split second to see what i want displayed on it. I use my phone navigation too, and itll display to my HUD. Kind of goes with your argument against cruise control. Which i agree with. But in this sense, having the HUD visible at all times takes away time you arent concentrated on the road. I may agree with your points more if it actually obstructed view, but a) i can see through it and b) its low enough on my view that if something were covered by it, I'm probably hitting it regardless.

Also fwiw, you can lower it enough that you wont see it. Or buy a non 1le that doesnt come with it

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would never touch another car with the A8. I had to lemon law a new 2019 C7 thanks to shudder and rear end warble at around 400 miles. My C6 was much better. Anyone that buys a used C7 out of warranty with a A8 is not gonna be happy when they gotta pay out of pocket.
The Chevy Shake.... It really should have been a safety recall. It's downright dangerous in some cars.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It’s one of those features you don’t need until you have it and once you become accustomed to it, there’s no going back.
I know what you're saying here - and I agree at least in principle. Turns out I use the Aeroforce gauge on the A-pillar almost exclusively rather than look down into the instrument panel. In fact, the reason I even got the Aeroforce thing was so I could more easily check coolant temperature and speed at the track, and it turned out to be equally useful in my street driving. Somewhere way back around 1972, I'd mounted an aftermarket tachometer on the A-pillar of a car that didn't come with a tach, so having a "heads-up-ish" display that's not front and center above the top of the steering wheel is nothing new here.

My complaint with OE HUDs is mainly concerned with the display placement. A secondary complaint would arise if too much information is put in the display - I really don't need or want anything more than speed and coolant or oil temperature displayed up there. Not even a tach, unless my ears completely fail me.

Norm

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
was you my color blu.... brown?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I respectfully disagree completely. I prefer it centralized being that it is somewhat translucent and i dont have to look away from the road even for a split second to see what i want displayed on it.
In today's language, even that's just TMI too much of the time.

Most of the time when I'm driving I don't even want to see instrument readouts. Coolant or oil temperature and speed while the car is warming up. After that, just a once in a great while speed check.

Seriously, if I'm capable of safely picking times to check instrumentation when the driving burden is relatively low at 100+ mph on the track and potentially in 100+ mph traffic within only a couple of car lengths/widths there, being able to do so at no more than 2/3 of those speeds on the street is a complete non-issue.

I use my phone navigation too, and itll display to my HUD. Kind of goes with your argument against cruise control. Which i agree with. But in this sense, having the HUD visible at all times takes away time you arent concentrated on the road. I may agree with your points more if it actually obstructed view, but a) i can see through it and b) its low enough on my view that if something were covered by it, I'm probably hitting it regardless.
Maybe it's because I came into driving in whole a different era, with a different outlook on driving. I think you had to learn to trust your senses - not just things of the moment like speed but including a sense of direction and generally where you were relative to where you were going - rather than rely on a display screen to tell you what was going on. I'm not sure I can truly explain it.

Also fwiw, you can lower it enough that you wont see it. Or buy a non 1le that doesnt come with it
If I was in the market for a new car today to replace my '08 GT, a 1SS/1LE would be on a very short list (along with a Mach 1 and nothing else I can think of right away). In which case I'd be planning on covering the lens if I couldn't turn it off completely and installing an Aeroforce gauge on the A-pillar.

Norm

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
The argument against is that you can't not see it, and that you can't get rid of it without losing the HUD function entirely.
Hi Norm. I thought we went through this over on the Camaro forums... :) But as a reminder, you definitely can get rid of the HUD in the Camaro by simply turning it off. There's an intensity adjustment, for example to turn down the intensity at night, but turn it up in bright sunlight. The HUD becomes invisible if you turn down the intensity all the way. Just like it wasn't there. It's a physical knob, so it stays that way until you change it manually.

For me, the HUD is indispensable on the track just for F1-style shift lights. Both F1 and IndyCar have the same lights at the top of the steering wheel. On the Camaro, they start to appear around 4500 rpm or so as green dots on either side of the HUD display. The dots converge from both sides to the center of the display, turning yellow, and finally red when you get to 6000 rpm. Redline is 6500, so the red shift lights are a good indicator when to upshift.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
trust me, I routinely don't see/register the HUD's presence. I actually have to remind myself and remember to think to look at it.
I guess we're all a bit different. I always notice a small raindrop spatter or the translucent remains of a bug suicide if it's anywhere near central vision.

Norm

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
This late 60's tech, no HUD, no nannies of any kind, on 60's era tires would kick all your collective mustang/camaro arses 🤣
6b769193-porsche-917-exhibition-.jpg