Why DIDN'T you get a camaro?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The Camaro is ugly as hell. They looked at the already ugly 5th gen, and decided to double down. At a glance, they're hard to tell apart unless you know cars. Why would I want an ugly new car that looks like an ugly old car?

The interior is crap. Not just the "materials". It's uncomfortable and cramped. Nothing feels like it's in the right place, as if no time was spent on ergonomics at all. You spend 100% of your driving time inside the car, and the Camaro is not somewhere I want to be.

The ride and handling are too track focused. The Mustang is a daily driver, a cruiser, a road trip car. It also can do very well on track. The Camaro isn't comfortable to drive on normal roads. Even the track focused Mustang's I've been in are better on real roads. They went too far toward track toy, and forgot they were making a road car.

It's completely impractical. Not that the Mustang is a big SUV, but it at least has a usable trunk. I've also fit a full set of tires in the back. You literally can't in a Camaro. I don't believe in having a "beater". If I'm going anywhere, even the grocery store, I want to drive what I enjoy driving. The Camaro wouldn't cut it.

I'm also not a huge fan of GM. My wife and I have toyed around with the idea of getting a Corvette at some point. We decided that a Viper would be a better version of what we want in the Corvette. The same way the Mustang is the better version of what we would want in a Camaro. I just couldn't see myself in one. I also can't see out of it either :cwl:
I was going to reply but @Mikthehun1 hit all the points I would. I guess in forum lingo that's a big ol +1 here

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
because the camaro sucks dude.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Wife was a launch manager on the 2004 facelift in Flat Rock, too young at the time to get one. Grabbed one last year, never considered a Camaro.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the ''19 GT first, then on a lark went looking at the Camaro 4 months later since the prices were VERY good (18% off) and bought that too. I own both. I prefer the Camaro for pure pointless 'fun driving', the Mustang for 'routine' use but I also have a F150 for grocery getting so perhaps I'm splitting hairs. The Camaro (1LE trim) is a "performance car" feel more so than the Mustang. It's chassis/driving is superior to the GT350. I've got the GT upgraded so it's a lot closer to the Camaro but it's still a clear second place.

I'll be thrashing both next year at the track and looking forward to the comparison.

If you're not buying the 1LE trim then buy a Mustang because there is so VASTLY much more aftermarket support for the Mustang such that you can fix all of the problems with it. Pus the M6G forum is better than Camaro6.

For whatever reason the discounts for Camaro suck this year. No Mustang incentive etc. So you can get a better deal on a Mustang for sure. Maybe post-Covid GM will go after Ford with gusto again.

And yes the Camaro trunk is all but useless if you try to put anything aside from grocery bags, gym bags etc thru the opening. The back seats on both are completely useless but the GM more so.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the 1LE recaros are very tight for us adults. They are fine for 160lb little guys. But I sat in a recaro GT350 and those were WAY WORSE. Those were total deal breaker seats for me. But I wouldnt probably end up with either a 1LE or a GT350 anyway.
the best Recaro was the ones in the Bullitt. Perfect. Yes the seats in my Camaro are more confining to my fat-ass 280lb chest but I was happy to drive 4.5hrs non-stop to Philly in my Camaro so they aren't THAT bad. What IS BLOODY ANNOYING is the hump in the floor where you naturally put your feet if you're relaxing the gas leg while using cruise. The Mustang is flat which is lovely. GM really f(cked that up IMO.

The Challenger (6MT of course) is just BIG and wallowy even with the fancy 'performance' 'adjustable' suspension. The seats were entirely too soft and wide and I was sliding all over the place trying to hustle the car on the test drive. 5-point restraints required. I would buy a Charger Hellcat if only they'd put the Tremec in it.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I've always been more of a Ford guy, but better engine, Better looks, tech, sound, more aftermarket, quicker in the 1/4, more headroom, and generally more "me".

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The Mustang had more of an open feeling and better visibility, and at the time I was shopping, GM's 8 speed automatic seemed to be having problems. It just seemed like the Mustang had all the performance I needed, and was a bit "friendlier" as a daily driver/practical car.

I'm not anti-GM as I've owned 2 fourth-gen Z28s and an '04 GTO and liked them all.

Edit, LOL that I missed the OP's comment about visibility... but that was my primary reason. Not that the visibility in the 4th gen F-bodies was good either, and I got used to it.

OP
OP
ZXMustang

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I will probably end up with a new mustang. Especially since the Camaro prices have been inflated for some reason. The used ones are WAY over priced. I wouldnt mind a 2021 Mustang GT 301a, A10, PP1 with active exhaust. And I want that twisted orange color. Should be badass.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I will probably end up with a new mustang. Especially since the Camaro prices have been inflated for some reason. The used ones are WAY over priced. I wouldnt mind a 2021 Mustang GT 301a, A10, PP1 with active exhaust. And I want that twisted orange color. Should be badass.
All used cars are overpriced currently.

A 2021 1ss 1le camaro can be had around 42k currently. Hell of a deal. Mustang a little more for something nearly as loaded. Depends on your personal flavor of what you think looks better. Should test both for sure.

My mustang and an ss 1le im considering.

Snapchat-668110404.jpg
20201219_142234.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Especially since the Camaro prices have been inflated for some reason.
this isn't a bad deal.
New 2021 Chevrolet Camaro in Vienna | 00210185 | Koons Tysons Chevy Buick GMC (koonschevybuickgmc.com)

as far as Mustang, fly to VA/MD, buy and take the Amtrak auto-train from Lorton VA (near my house) down to FL. Or have fun and take the by-ways inland of I95 all the way down.

as far as orange cars go here's a couple
https://www.appleford.com/new/Ford/new/Ford/2020-Ford-Mustang-f06fcf970a0e0ae83b7f1d7c3bf06a78.htm

I wouldn't buy this for over 36
https://www.bobdavidsonford.com/cer...-Mustang-4de69f820a0e0a6b1eec8d70b04d4758.htm

this one is a bit over-loaded
https://www.koonssilverspringford.c...020-Ford-Mustang-GT+Premium-1FA6P8CF9L5162095

There are deals I'm sure in GA and SC and such too.

Last edited:

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4
All used cars are overpriced currently.

A 2021 1ss 1le camaro can be had around 42k currently. Hell of a deal. Mustang a little more for something nearly as loaded. Depends on your personal flavor of what you think looks better. Should test both for sure.

My mustang and an ss 1le im considering.

Snapchat-668110404.jpg
20201219_142234.jpg
Probably an unpopular opinion but I love the way that camaro looks and would get it over the mustang.

OP
OP
ZXMustang

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Probably an unpopular opinion but I love the way that camaro looks and would get it over the mustang.
The 1LE is awesome. And now for 2021 I believe you can get it with the A10. I still dont like the seats, but they are worth like $2k on the market, and maybe I could get them sold or trade for a brand new set of 2SS leather seats. Thats what I would do if i got a Camaro. The 1LE is sharp.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Exterior styling and the golf clubs go into the Mustang's trunk easily. And, yes, visibility was a negative for me. I am OK with the pushrod engine (doesn't rev as high but the low end torque is a plus), but the styling just doesn't cut it for me. I liked the Gen 5 Camaro when it first came out, but it looks so dated now.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
For me it was price, build quality, and ability to mod the motor.

The mustang won all 3 for me. I found a 5.0 for $5k less than any v8 camaro and about $7k less than a scat pack.

I do however like the camaro styling and the LS engines. I wouldn't consider their new LT however.

And I just plain don't trust any Chrysler product made in the last 15 years or so. Even my WJ jeep keeps me on my toes.

Challenger has the best styling of the 3 in my opinion though.