Sponsored

Mr whiskers5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 rapid red mustang gt
But it isn't always about how fast it can shift. There's a reason why supercar enthusiasts are lamenting the loss of gated manuals on Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Sure the paddle-shift/automatic is faster. There's no gap between shifts and there are more gears... But again, for me it isn't about how fast I can shift. I enjoy a good 1/4 mile race just as much as the next guy, but being a couple of 10ths faster, while great for bragging rights, just isn't in my list of priorities anymore.

What about FUN? Is the A10 FUN? Is any torque-converter automatic fun? I just can't get over the slushy feel. I accept it in my F150, but wonder how people feel about that in a Mustang.

Addendum: Lots of threads about the MT82. Some issues, most don't have issues, but the exact same could be said for the T5 in foxbodies. Some say they are like a glass transmission, unreliable, etc, and yet the majority of fox owners in 2021 prefer and want a T5 car.... The fact that there are many of them still working after 35 years of service tells me they weren't that bad if you didn't abuse them.
im just 17 and child hood story really hits me cause im huge car nut always been a even bigger mustang nut ever since i got a ride in my uncles saleen and i orderd a 21 gt back in august got it in september and i love it i orderd the 10 speed cause i plan on drag racing at some point but sometimes i do find myself wishing i got a manual but either way its a lot fun its not like any of the older cool shit its fUN
Sponsored

Mr whiskers5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
This topic continues to pop up and the debate will go on forever, or atleast until they stop producing 8 cylinder engines with manual transmissions which may actually happen in the near future. All the points are valid. I own the manual transmission because I live in the suburbs and rarely encounter bumper to bumper traffic. In the event that I do, I turn on Waze and navigate around it through some back roads. I just like the shifting and it is so second nature that I do not feel it as a burden. Some say they can hold their coffee while driving but that is why they make cup holders. You only need to hold it to sip it. Auto may be faster but I have never needed the speed. I am not going to race anyone off the line in town, I am not going to take a 50K car to the track and put that much wear and tear on it, and I am not really caring if it takes me an extra fraction of a second to get from 0-60. It is clearly more enjoyable to drive a stick EXCEPT in traffic so if you live in the city, buy the auto....or more appropriately, if you live in a city why the hell would you want a muscle car in the first place since you will not get the opportunity to open it up and enjoy it. Live in the city? By an automatic Prius, you will fit right in. Live in the suburbs then get yourself a 6 speed and enjoy the ride.
is your saleen the black label?

Mr whiskers5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Personally, I wish I still had a manual but I had to buy an A10 so the wife could use it sometimes or if I'm too drunk to drive home.. lol
I wanted to upgrade my 15GT manual to the new Mach 1 and the only way the Wife would agree was if I got an Auto.
Most of the time I use the paddles so I have engagement with the car like a manual. Not the same, I know but it does make it fun to drive.
The nice thing now is that when I'm in traffic or on slower roads in town or have a coffee in my hand, I have the option to go full Auto.
Different strokes for different folks and everyone has a different situation.
I used to be that guy that says manual or you're a fool and shouldn't have a sports car but now at an older, wiser age I see how ignorant and immature my thinking was.
i want a mach 1 or 13-14 boss so bad lol

Mr whiskers5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the forum Zero! I enjoyed your introduction. Just hope you didn't open a can of worms as there are a few threads debating the superiority and pure fun of driving a stick over an auto! :cwl:
(this is a joke so no auto guys and gals should take offense :cwl: ).
same i really can appreciate the introduction

Sponsored

Mr whiskers5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I bought my 06 GT new with an auto trans. At the time I thought my wife would be driving it as well. She was not a fan of manual trans since driving my 70 Torino Cobra. Well in the 14 years I owned the 06, she never drove it! 2021 was my time to get back to a manual. Glad I did.
somtimes i wish i did but i love what i have either way

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Simple for me. Manual = not fun. Not fun in traffic where much of the time driving is actually spent. Not fun buying clutch replacement. Not fun needing another person to drive the car. Not fun as my left knee ages. I’ve owned manual v8 mustang and other manual sports cars. Very happy with the a10. Glad there was a choice.
Agreed! My mustang is my daily and while commuting in stop-n-go traffic, I just want to relax and de-stress on my way to/from the office, enjoy some good music on the radio or listen to NPR, and drop the top and enjoy the sunshine. Nothing about that daily experience requires a manual.

While manuals are fun, all of my other cars are all manual for that purpose. There is no way I would ever be able to daily any of my other cars, except maybe my classic 911 as it is incredibly reliable. I love my auto mustang though as it is my trusty steed and it fulfills the purpose on why I bought it in the first place.

Mr whiskers5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Like many others, it was a compromise with the wife e.g. difference between getting the car and not getting the car.

Other reasons:

- Manual gets old fast in traffic and I daily in nice weather
- Bad reputation of Fords manuals breaking (I've broke manuals many times in older Mustangs and nothing sucks more than losing gears or a clutch pedal stuck to the floor when you are far from home)
- It's quick! Almost 1/2 second faster on 1/4 mile times (published)
- No auto-start
- No fancy drive mode adjustments - it's nice to have the transmission shift aggressively in drag mode but like butter in normal mode
- Free hand to do stuff
- No worries about advanced age arthritis/knee pain impacting my ability or joy to drive
- No missed shifts

Reasons I miss manual:

- More control over the power. I'm so used to clutching in if things get a little sketchy where now I am at the mercy of the auto trans (especially in wet weather)
- Easier to launch the car and control power with clutch
- Can rev at stop lights
- Something to do with my hand and feet - more active involvement in driving
main reason i got my auto was so i could have mtn dew in my hand at all times and for drag racing

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label

Sponsored

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
As the OP, I'm going to chime in here. Certainly we want to know what others are doing, because yes, we want to feel "right" or at the very least get confirmation that we didn't make a bad choice. However, my point of starting this thread was to explain my motivations for choosing a 6spd manual, while also wanting to hear from those who chose autos as to why they did.....

Pretty much all of the auto responses were the typical ones I expected. No big surprises. Orthopedic issues, age, driving in heavy traffic daily, and "wife doesn't know how to drive stick." Happy to report my orthopedic issues are mild ("knock on wood"), I'm 46 -- so borderline old, but not old yet IMO, I drive 1.6 miles to work and the Mustang will only rarely be taken there (not parking my nice car in a high school parking lot -- because that's where I work), and my wife PREFERS the manual after I taught her how to drive one!!

I realize it's a skill whose importance is becoming less and less, but no one who calls themself a car enthusiast can NOT know how to drive a manual. My wife has become a car enthusiast by way of my influence, and I told her as such. You can't be a 'car nut' and not know how to drive a stick (and do it well). If that statement causes some butthurt, I'm not sorry, haha. Car enthusiasts know how to drive stick. Unless there's a physical handicap that prevents it (and I don't just mean 'sore knees' or 'tired legs').

It doesn't mean you cannot OWN an automatic and still be a car enthusiast.... but if you own it because you just don't know how to drive a manual, you gotta turn in your enthusiast card. Sorry. DNQ.

As for my feelings thus far, I'm not convinced by the A10 fans who insist it's somehow just as good as a dual clutch trans. It's still a torque converter slushbox. It's just a very good, modern one. I'd be more likely to choose an "auto" if it were a dual clutch, which is essentially a manual trans w/o a clutch and with an automatic computer-shifted mode.

Yeah, and the manual responses are typical too. More fun factor, more connected to the car etc... Both of those things are subjective. It's more fun to pay the same amount of money and buy a car that is slower, doesn't pull as hard etc.? Well, not to me it isn't. I test drove a manual GT before I bought my auto and the manual isn't in the auto's league. The auto is more fun to me because it has far superior performance. I feel plenty connected to the car without having to push a clutch in and out and move a stick. Like I said in my first post, I used to be a diehard manual guy but that was when they were the better performers. When that script flipped and favored the autos, I came on in to the modern world and embraced that. Tell you what, present day manaul diehards, why don't you boys just go all the way with this thing. First of all, get rid of your cell phones and go back to having just a home phone and make SURE it is a rotary dial. Why? Because real men rotary dial boys! You will be more involved in the call. It will be more fun and engaging to rotary dial. You'll feel more connected to the person you are calling when you put that effort in to twirl that thing! And, go back to a 4:3 picture tube TV with no remote control. Why? Because who needs high def anyway? Older is better! And, when you get up and turn that dial to find a channel you will feel more connected to the program you are watching. It will be more fun as you engage more with your T.V. Finally, get rid of your microwaves. Real men don't NUKE! They bake or broil their TV dinners slower for that full 40 min. They just taste better when you manual cook the old fashioned way. πŸ˜…

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
Yeah, and the manual responses are typical too. More fun factor, more connected to the car etc... Both of those things are subjective. It's more fun to pay the same amount of money and buy a car that is slower, doesn't pull as hard etc.? Well, not to me it isn't. I test drove a manual GT before I bought my auto and the manual isn't in the auto's league. The auto is more fun to me because it has far superior performance. I feel plenty connected to the car without having to push a clutch in and out and move a stick. Like I said in my first post, I used to be a diehard manual guy but that was when they were the better performers. When that script flipped and favored the autos, I came on in to the modern world and embraced that. Tell you what, present day manaul diehards, why don't you boys just go all the way with this thing. First of all, get rid of your cell phones and go back to having just a home phone and make SURE it is a rotary dial. Why? Because real men rotary dial boys! You will be more involved in the call. It will be more fun and engaging to rotary dial. You'll feel more connected to the person you are calling when you put that effort in to twirl that thing! And, go back to a 4:3 picture tube TV with no remote control. Why? Because who needs high def anyway? Older is better! And, when you get up and turn that dial to find a channel you will feel more connected to the program you are watching. It will be more fun as you engage more with your T.V. Finally, get rid of your microwaves. Real men don't NUKE! They bake or broil their TV dinners slower for that full 40 min. They just taste better when you manual cook the old fashioned way. πŸ˜…
Whoa, hold up guy....change is hard, even if going backwards, so let's take the retrograde one step at a time. Maybe a Jitterbug as a first step - πŸ€”
jitterbug_08.jpg

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Mgsouthwest2001, you are spot on. I hate my cell phone, and I hate having to have one. Microwaves ruin meals; they taste much better out of the oven. If I had an older TV without a remote, then maybe I'd get out more and do other stuff besides sitting on my ass getting brain washed. Wait, I don't watch much TV, I spend my time on this damn compooter following threads about which transmission I have.
Yeah, I think older is better in a way, but damn it, time marches on.

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
That is why I don't even bother with a response (except this one). Autos have been around since the 1940s?? They are not going away and are actually at their height of refinement if you get a dual clutch one such as Porsche's PDK. Besides the whole thing is moot in a few years. Everyone will be asking "Why did you choose an EV with paddle regenerating braking (and why I chose one without)."

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Typical response from an "Auto" guy, "I drove manuals all my life, but...."
Sponsored