Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
As the OP, I'm going to chime in here. Certainly we want to know what others are doing, because yes, we want to feel "right" or at the very least get confirmation that we didn't make a bad choice. However, my point of starting this thread was to explain my motivations for choosing a 6spd manual, while also wanting to hear from those who chose autos as to why they did.....

Pretty much all of the auto responses were the typical ones I expected. No big surprises. Orthopedic issues, age, driving in heavy traffic daily, and "wife doesn't know how to drive stick." Happy to report my orthopedic issues are mild ("knock on wood"), I'm 46 -- so borderline old, but not old yet IMO, I drive 1.6 miles to work and the Mustang will only rarely be taken there (not parking my nice car in a high school parking lot -- because that's where I work), and my wife PREFERS the manual after I taught her how to drive one!!

I realize it's a skill whose importance is becoming less and less, but no one who calls themself a car enthusiast can NOT know how to drive a manual. My wife has become a car enthusiast by way of my influence, and I told her as such. You can't be a 'car nut' and not know how to drive a stick (and do it well). If that statement causes some butthurt, I'm not sorry, haha. Car enthusiasts know how to drive stick. Unless there's a physical handicap that prevents it (and I don't just mean 'sore knees' or 'tired legs').

It doesn't mean you cannot OWN an automatic and still be a car enthusiast.... but if you own it because you just don't know how to drive a manual, you gotta turn in your enthusiast card. Sorry. DNQ.

As for my feelings thus far, I'm not convinced by the A10 fans who insist it's somehow just as good as a dual clutch trans. It's still a torque converter slushbox. It's just a very good, modern one. I'd be more likely to choose an "auto" if it were a dual clutch, which is essentially a manual trans w/o a clutch and with an automatic computer-shifted mode.
A10 dual clutch. Now we are talking.
Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I am glad that manuals are still available in most Mustangs, but bothered by those of you that wish that automatics weren't available in certain models. I have both and was very disappointed that I couldn't get an automatic Bullitt, not for the badges, but for the (dark green) color. But all is well now, as I have an Eruption Green Mach 1 on order. Those of us with bad knees and a thing for dark green Mustangs thank you Ford...FINALLY! That's all.

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
If most of your driving is in towns and cities or basically straight roads then manuals are just a pain, stick it in auto and enjoy the drive.
if most of your driving is twisty mountain roads or on the track a manual is much better and more fun.
For the first 35 years of driving I only drove manuals, I love my big lazy auto These days.

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I've owned both an A10 PP1 and a M6 PP2 car. I prefer the manual, but it's definitely personal taste. The a10 felt quicker and was less stressful to drive, but the m6 I have more control over. If I did it all over again, honestly I'd keep the a10.

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I am glad that manuals are still available in most Mustangs, but bothered by those of you that wish that automatics weren't available in certain models. I have both and was very disappointed that I couldn't get an automatic Bullitt, not for the badges, but for the (dark green) color. But all is well now, as I have an Eruption Green Mach 1 on order. Those of us with bad knees and a thing for dark green Mustangs thank you Ford...FINALLY! That's all.
I sort of understand you, but with the Shelby models or any model specifically designed for track (not drag) use, putting an automatic in it is ridiculous. You don't drive a twisty track in an automatic. I mean, you can, but you won't be as fast or in control as the manual car. So Shelby, Boss, etc. Mach1 was never a designation for a twisty track car. From the beginning, the Mach1 was a luxuriously trimmed Mustang (heavy, generally) with an emphasis on drag strip performance (hence larger cubic inch engines). I support them making Mach1 cars in both manual and automatic. But I wouldn't be okay with a GT350 or GT500 or Boss 302, because those cars are twisty track cars. If you don't want a manual, that's fine, get a different trim.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZeroTX

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I've owned both an A10 PP1 and a M6 PP2 car. I prefer the manual, but it's definitely personal taste. The a10 felt quicker and was less stressful to drive, but the m6 I have more control over. If I did it all over again, honestly I'd keep the a10.
Since my car won't be a daily driver, none of the concerns presented here bother me. Both my wife and I can drive it (we test drove two 2019's to be sure). If I had to DAILY drive it, I would consider the A10, but would NOT consider the A6 in the 2015-17's. I have an A6 in my 2017 F150 and it's the definition of a slush box and doesn't have enough gears to be fun in a sports car. You can probably make it a fast drag car with a loose torque converter, but fun factor much less than a manual. IMO.

Now, when they come out with a DUAL CLUTCH manual (paddle shifted, with automatic option) in a Mustang (probably a Shelby series), I'll support that style. But still, what's the fun of a manual without a clutch dump? :)

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Tell the Lamborghini and C8 guys that.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I sort of understand you, but with the Shelby models or any model specifically designed for track (not drag) use, putting an automatic in it is ridiculous. You don't drive a twisty track in an automatic. I mean, you can, but you won't be as fast or in control as the manual car. So Shelby, Boss, etc. Mach1 was never a designation for a twisty track car. From the beginning, the Mach1 was a luxuriously trimmed Mustang (heavy, generally) with an emphasis on drag strip performance (hence larger cubic inch engines). I support them making Mach1 cars in both manual and automatic. But I wouldn't be okay with a GT350 or GT500 or Boss 302, because those cars are twisty track cars. If you don't want a manual, that's fine, get a different trim.
The only thing I sort of agree with you on, is that the current Mach 1 should have been a BOSS 302, and the Mach 1 should have been a separate drag strip centered car. It should have come without the coolers and huge brakes, but with a supercharger, 325 rear and 225 front tire widths, a Cobra Jet for the street. But they should all be available with an automatic, ask Randy Pobst. If you want a road race car buy a BIW or Mustang GT4, other wise they are ALL meant to be driven on the street.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I bought an auto for a couple of reasons. I couldn't test drive any Mach 1's, so I drove a 21 GT with a six speed and one with auto. I didn't like the transmission or the clutch in the six speed. I know the Tremec is better but without being able to test drive one I started considering the auto. Then with back and knee issues the A10 was a logical choice. If I could have test driven the Tremec, who knows? Do I wish I had gotten the six speed? Yes, sometimes I miss shifting, especially on the twisties. But after the A10 learning how I drive, the different drive modes I can pick, I'm really liking it now. This isn't a standard variety auto, it's very impressive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I bought an automatic because that's what this car had on the dealer's used car lot. It also had a VMP Gen 2 kit, water injection and fuel pump booster on it and was denied tuned for not much more money than a bone stock GT.

I get it that many of you prefer manual. But $8000 worth of go-very-fast stuff for free? If that's a choice in your eyes, we are just going to have to agree to disagree

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I ordered the 6 speed to have a little fun. My DD is a Toyota with an automatic. The Mustang will be a toy and used as such. I won’t be tracking it, just cruising around with it or weekend trips. I’m not expecting to see much rush hour traffic in it. My wife grew up on a stick shift VW bug and Honda Civic, so no issues with her not being able to drive it if she wants to.
That is the point, get what works for you. everyone should.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I'm all for marital bliss, and my wife can dive manual very well... but who's car is it, yours or hers? If you find a manual boring, you might want to check the definition of boring. You might be confusing it with 'hard' or 'taxing'. For some people, small amounts of mental effort makes them tired - which can be misinterpreted as boredom. Not saying that's the case (but it might be the case).

No offense, I'm just ball busting. *I* don't want an auto, but drive what makes you happy. Life is too short to worry about which transmission is the right one (even if it is the manual). :)
If I was 40 years younger , I'd jump all over having a manual in even my daily that does the rush hour (90-120 minutes) crawl.
But after a 10-16 hour day, I'd rather not. My legs and feet, and back need a rest.
The good part is the automatics don't give up much if anything to a manual like they did 40 years ago.
Drivers don't kno the pain of a heavy as hell clutch pedal that was needed to hold the 450-500+ ft lb back then, it was all leg muscle. hyd clutches of today are easy, but still require leg muscle use that after 10-16 hours on them hurt.
The stones were not kidding when they sang, "what a drag it is getting old".

PeterParker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 4T Premium, 2018 Mazda 6 GTR
Like some one else said, I got an AT because I wanted one. Been there, done that with manuals. Many people black our chrome, because the chrome-look, which I like, is passe. Dare I say that manual trans are passe ?? I think I will, because they soon will be.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I chose 6 speed for fun factor and for less aggressive driving than I would with A10.
Sponsored