Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
All this talk about swapping a 7.3L engine, I have to ask... Why not any other truck engine then? Maybe I am missing the point. Are we going crazy just because it has 7.3 leeters? How about a turbo diesel truck engine then? Why this engine, someone please tell me.
I mentioned that earlier too, but everyone seems to have a boner for this gas guzzling under-performer.
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Hell, why not the 3.0 Diesel now offered in the F-150? It might actually fit under the hood unlike the 7.3, has tons of torque, already bolts right up to the 10 speed slush box, and would get great gas mileage.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Again, you are failing to understand that it's the area under the curve that matters, not where it's located in the RPM band. 450hp at 7000 rpm is all fine and dandy until you realize your HP curve has an extremely narrow power band.

Say it with me one time...AREA UNDER THE CURVE.
It's only area under the curve in 1st gear on the drag strip, or if you're doing something like road coarse work where you have a relatively large RPM range going on in certain gears during cornering, then more area under the HP curve can make a difference. On the drag strip, once you hit second gear and above it's mostly all about gearing and maintaining the shift points as close to the max HP point on the curve as possible. You don't want huge gear spacing between shifts when it comes to acceleration, and that goes for road coarse work also when coming out of corners and accelerating down to the next corner.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hell, why not the 3.0 Diesel now offered in the F-150? It might actually fit under the hood unlike the 7.3, has tons of torque, already bolts right up to the 10 speed slush box, and would get great gas mileage.
You need to start a thread on swapping in a 3.0 Power Stroke diesel into a Mustang bet fatguy will help figure out how to do it

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
It's only area under the curve in 1st gear on the drag strip, or if you're doing something like road coarse work where you have a relatively large RPM range going on in certain gears during cornering, then more area under the HP curve can make a difference. On the drag strip, once you hit second gear and above it's mostly all about gearing and maintaining the shift points as close to the max HP point on the curve as possible. You don't want huge gear spacing between shifts when it comes to acceleration, and that goes for road coarse work also when coming out of corners and accelerating down to the next corner.
Any S550 with an Iron 1000 pound boat anchor up front will not be exiting any corners. The under-steer will be so bad that a steering wheel won't even be necessary. Drag strip only

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any S550 with an Iron 1000 pound boat anchor up front will not be exiting any corners. The under-steer will be so bad that a steering wheel won't even be necessary. Drag strip only
Obviously ... my post wasn't about the 7.3 swap being used on a road course, it was simply about HP curves and how that HP curve and required matched gearing matters when a car is used in different scenarios.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
GT Pony said: ↑
This thread could last 16 years and have 140 grand posts. to make.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
All this talk about swapping a 7.3L engine, I have to ask... Why not any other truck engine then? Maybe I am missing the point. Are we going crazy just because it has 7.3 leeters? How about a turbo diesel truck engine then? Why this engine, someone please tell me.

Has to be Ford big block so all Ford like the old cars. Diesel too heavy and all the problems with diesels.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
At the dragstrip, it's entirely area under the curve. You do not want to shift at maximum horsepower, you want to shift past maximum horsepower where the RPM drop from the next gear gives you the largest area for that gear. It's like this for every single gear, rinse and repeat.

I agree though, huge gear spacing is typically bad as it's going to drop the RPM out of the vehicles power-band. This is precisely why the 10 speed made the new mustang an absolute best where the old 6 speed was lethargic.

Why do you think this big block is going to be 1000 lbs?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the dragstrip, it's entirely area under the curve. You do not want to shift at maximum horsepower, you want to shift past maximum horsepower where the RPM drop from the next gear gives you the largest area for that gear. It's like this for every single gear, rinse and repeat.

I agree though, huge gear spacing is typically bad as it's going to drop the RPM out of the vehicles power-band. This is precisely why the 10 speed made the new mustang an absolute best where the old 6 speed was lethargic.
Yep, when I said "as close to the max HP point on the curve as possible" it means shifting a hair over the peak and the next gear will come in just under the peak. The smaller that shifting RPM range between gears giving a smaller +/- from the peak HP the better ... hence the reason for the A10 with close gear ratios. We're basically saying the same thing.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yep, when I said "as close to the max HP point on the curve as possible" it means shifting a hair over the peak and the next gear will come in just under the peak. The smaller that shifting RPM range between gears giving a +/- from the peak HP the better ... hence the reason for the A10 with close gear ratios. We're basically saying the same thing.
:thumbsup:

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)

Why do you think this big block is going to be 1000 lbs?
I was being a bit facetious, however the average iron 454 weighs about 700 pounds. So fully dressed it wouldn't surprise me if it gets close to 800lbs. The Coyote is about 440lbs in comparison. Pushrod motors do save a bit of
weight in the cylinder heads vs. their OHC counterparts, but still, that iron pig is gonna be porky.
Sponsored