Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Guys, let’s just agree to disagree until the specifications come in. This isn’t an election issue or something important like that. It’s the weight of a new engine. That will be coming out very shortly.

There are more critical questions such as whether a crate motor will be available.

Also: to answer the question of whether the motor exists. Well Ford claims the new Super Duty has already seen 20 million miles of testing. Take it a good portion of that was with the new motors. More miles than the previous 2017 model Super Duty’s 12 million. So it’s safe to say this motor is probably reliable.

Source: https://www.automoblog.net/2019/03/14/2020-ford-super-duty/

And one more note: I did a tally of who sourced their statements with sources for engineermike and it was me by a country mile. Just saying...

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It shouldn't be much heavier than the current A10 transmission in the mustang. Again, just because it's in a truck does not mean it's heavy...or not suited for mustang use. With an adequate rear end gear, it would likely do just fine.
The F250/350 is my current project, and those transmissions are most certainly heavy. They are built to handle long term loading, unlike the Mustang transmission. The current 6R140 weighs 325lbs dry, while the Mustang 10R80 is just 230lbs. So you would gain almost 100lbs right there, as there is no expectation for the 10R140 to weigh less than the 6A. You would want to source a Mustang trans for sure.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Has to be Ford big block so all Ford like the old cars. Diesel too heavy and all the problems with diesels.
There are very few problems with the Lion diesel, and the Scorpion is one of the most reliable engines available for mid-sized trucks.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The F250/350 is my current project, and those transmissions are most certainly heavy. They are built to handle long term loading, unlike the Mustang transmission. The current 6R140 weighs 325lbs dry, while the Mustang 10R80 is just 230lbs. So you would gain almost 100lbs right there, as there is no expectation for the 10R140 to weigh less than the 6A. You would want to source a Mustang trans for sure.

It’s a whopping 3.5 pounds more assuming the TorqShift is the A10 transmission:

“A new 10-speed TorqShift automatic is available across the lineup for 2020. Key features include power takeoff for industrial applications and selectable drive modes. Despite the additional gears (the current TorqShift is a six-speed), the new transmission fits in the same space and weighs only 3.5 lbs. more.”

Since you work in the industry. Is there select shift and how long can I hold a gear?

Source:

https://www.automoblog.net/2019/03/14/2020-ford-super-duty/

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Guys, let’s just agree to disagree until the specifications come in. This isn’t an election issue or something important like that. It’s the weight of a new engine. That will be coming out very shortly.

There are more critical questions such as whether a crate motor will be available.

Also: to answer the question of whether the motor exists. Well Ford claims the new Super Duty has already seen 20 million miles of testing. Take it a good portion of that was with the new motors. More miles than the previous 2017 model Super Duty’s 12 million. So it’s safe to say this motor is probably reliable.

Source: https://www.automoblog.net/2019/03/14/2020-ford-super-duty/

Much of that is for the diesel (my project), which is their bread and butter for the application. Not that they won't thoroughly test the gasoline engine, but the diesels are expected to last a lot longer and pull a lot more stuff.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It’s a whopping 3.5 pounds more assuming the TorqShift is the A10 transmission:

“A new 10-speed TorqShift automatic is available across the lineup for 2020. Key features include power takeoff for industrial applications and selectable drive modes. Despite the additional gears (the current TorqShift is a six-speed), the new transmission fits in the same space and weighs only 3.5 lbs. more.”

Since you work in the industry. Is there select shift and how long can I hold a gear?

Source:

https://www.automoblog.net/2019/03/14/2020-ford-super-duty/
3.5lbs more than the 6R140, which is already almost 100lbs heavier than the Mustang 10R80. Assuming the 7.3 is 100lbs more than the Coyote, after adding the truck 10R140 you will be over 200lbs heavier than a 5.0L S550. That's substantial.
I don't know how long you will be able to hold the gear in the new 10spd, as I haven't been able to drive the MY20. I mostly deal with the engine side of things until launch. All the test vehicles are in Michigan.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Much of that is for the diesel (my project), which is their bread and butter for the application. Not that they won't thoroughly test the gasoline engine, but the diesels are expected to last a lot longer and pull a lot more stuff.

The diesels also get retired faster when problems occur later on In life. Just lost a favourite fast truck of mine. So some guy complained of fumes. Went to the International Truck Center, got a tag and towed back to scrap out. Repairs too costly. BTW: The reason we went to Volvo is the cost and transmission. Backing up with the Volvo auto is a breeze, and the Internationals just couldn’t match that transmission.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
3.5lbs more than the 6R140, which is already almost 100lbs heavier than the Mustang 10R80. Assuming the 7.3 is 100lbs more than the Coyote, after adding the truck 10R140 you will be over 200lbs heavier than a 5.0L S550. That's substantial.
I don't know how long you will be able to hold the gear in the new 10spd, as I haven't been able to drive the MY20. I mostly deal with the engine side of things until launch. All the test vehicles are in Michigan.

It’s the same as going to the Coyote from the V6 - but nobody ever talked about weight then...

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

So all this time you could have called out the claim that the motor didn’t exist? :cwl:

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It’s the same as going to the Coyote from the V6 - but nobody ever talked about weight then...
You gain 160hp and 140lb-ft when comparing a V6 to a gen 3 V8. You will likely see -20hp and +60 lb-ft with the +200lbs you get going from a 5.0L to a 7.3L. In your car, the weight gain would be over 400lbs.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You gain 160hp and 140lb-ft when comparing a V6 to a gen 3 V8. You will likely see -20hp and +60 lb-ft with the +200lbs you get going from a 5.0L to a 7.3L. In your car, the weight gain would be over 400lbs.

As the V6 cars are stripped from the get go the total weight may be on par with a loaded GT. So upgrading the suspension could be cheap and a shoe in. Parts overnighted from members here... :like:

Actually I find this stuff fun and maybe even a film to boot. I would keep the heavier tranny. That power-mode from a stop is impressive - probably more impressive in the Mustang. That is the stuff people are curious to see!

But now I have to go and apply to the Toronto International Film Festival. This is one of the big three and normally I would say we don’t stand a chance. But we were there till the second to final cut at Sundance and we are Canadian applying to the Canadian Feature (ours is two hours forty minutes) Documentary segment (which is smaller and less competitive than international) so we may have the slightest sliver of a chance. When I tell my gang that, all I hear are crickets. But we also are submitting a short where they had editorial control - this they go wild about - and they have a lottery chance of getting. Go figure...

Later...

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
As the V6 cars are stripped from the get go the total weight may be on par with a loaded GT. So upgrading the suspension could be cheap and a shoe in. Parts overnighted from members here... :like:
Total weight would be more like 50-100lbs heavier than a GT convertible once everything is said and done.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The motor will weigh in around just over 500lbs.
Remember, only a 4.6 inch bore spacing.
Alloy heads.
Composite ABS intake.
Modern light weighted thin wall block.
A production bbc does not have any of those features.....thanks for the laugh.
He won't understand any of that. Remember, the 7.3L godzilla is a truck engine with an iron block, therefore it's a heavy pig that has not progressed sense the big blocks of the 1960's.

You're actually spot on, what was I thinking. That 10R140 is rated for over 1000lb-ft of torque...it's going to be a porker out of sheer necessity.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
You're actually spot on, what was I thinking. That 10R140 is rated for over 1000lb-ft of torque...it's going to be a porker out of sheer necessity.
Maybe a good thing for people who want to push north of 1000lb-ft. I wouldn't want it in an N/A swap. Looking for a crashed 10A stang would be better.
Sponsored