Sponsored

Who uses CTEK MXS 5.0 for their winter trickle charger/tender?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
c tek or battery tender jr, you can't go wrong either way. but I must say ive had my battery tender jr 4 bank charger set up for 8 years, haven't unplugged it once, only times its lost power was from a power outage to house.

not a single fault yet.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Guys, while weā€™re on this battery tender thing a quick question. When hooking the tender direct to the battery terminals is there a way to remove your carā€™s battery cables without losing all the stuff the computers have learned? Maybe a time window of some kind? Kind of a PITA teaching the A10 how I want to roll.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I never used one, but I believe there's some kind of little battery charger (like a mini battery device) you plug into your cig lighter that keeps everything alive while people swap batteries. does it work on this? no idea. but I know ive heard of members talking about them here.

https://www.amazon.com/battery-memory-saver/s?k=battery+memory+saver

JƤrn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, Ruby Red, A10, B&O, AE
Went to start the Mustang on Saturday and take it for a quick run around the block as I hadn't even started it in 2 weeks and it hasn't been driven in at least a month, maybe a month in a half.

Battery didn't have the power to crank it over. Had to jump start it from my winter beater (whoever makes jumper cables so short needs to be shot).

Now that this is an issue I'm looking at one of these. Anyone have any reviews on them and their Mustang?
Are there any sage words on how to connect to the terminals? How long to run the tickle charger for? Anything words of wisdom for a noob?

Figure I would get the deal before spending friggen $129.00 CDN lol

1707140094786.png
I have the CTEK MSX 5.0. This is the 4th winter with it maintaining the original battery. It works great. I have also used it to repair/charge other car batteries that were unable to start a car. The 8-stage process does everything I need it to do. I also use this when doing Ford Sync software upgrades.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I also use this when doing Ford Sync software upgrades.
You just leave the car on in Standby mode with this plugged in?

Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Not sure why anyone would be hooking up a battery tender to directly to the battery anymore. There's a great write up on how to hook it to the fuse block for quick and clean installation.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why anyone would be hooking up a battery tender to directly to the battery anymore. There's a great write up on how to hook it to the fuse block for quick and clean installation.
Where?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
post 4. Skye linked the threads with the installs. Incredibly easy and you'd never know it's there when it's not charging.
Thank you!

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Costco has Battery Tender for roughly half the cost of the model from first post available in stores. Just FYI.

Tank.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'18 F150, '22 Bronco 2dr, '23 Mustang
I use a battery tender, it hasn't let me down yet. Below are references for how I hooked it up.

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I was surprised that EVERY car, all 500 or so, at the Melbourne FL Muscle Car Museum had a CTEK maintaining every car battery. I've known large car collectors that take the batteries out, and others that follow a maintenance schedule for hooking up/charging batteries periodically, but that was a first for me. Pondering the different options taken, the muscle car museum had a better solution of the museums I'm familiar with for battery health. But there was definitely quite an investment in maintainers for those 500 or so cars.
If one has 500 cars, that cost is a drop in the bucket.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I use a battery tender, it hasn't let me down yet. Below are references for how I hooked it up.

IMG_0287.jpg
Pretty much the way I do it, but park the charger on the top of the tire.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've used one for years, works great. I found that connecting directly to the terminals works better for some reason. If you do it the way you're supposed to and connect the negative to a ground before the current sensor, I found that over a long enough time the car would get confused and charge at an unnecessary high rate the first few drives after you'd disconnect it. Something to do with the deep sleep mode I guess.
Sponsored