Sponsored

Who Tunes your 5.0? And Why?

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
The PP2 and PP3 are definitely good setups. The biggest downside is upgrade ability (none). Otherwise they make a compelling case for themselves.
Exactly right, the biggest downside is upgrade path. You get what you get. But what you get is very well put together. There's the thing, your NOT going to make a whole lot more meaningful power over these tunes on pump gas with similar hardware. So no one would want to upgrade from a Power Pack 2 to an after market 93 tune and CAI. The change is meaningless. In fact some of the after market pump gas tunes make less average power even if they make a bit more peak power based on dynos I've seen. The hardware in the Power Packs 2 and 3 buys them some extra flow over the rev range that doesn't require as aggressive of timing.

And I don't think any of them got the GT350 throttle body to work correctly because of how involved the calibration changes are, at least not without having substantial drive ability impacts that most won't tolerate.

So if you step up to E85 from a Power Pack 2 or Power Pack 3, if your tuner could get the GT350 throttle body figured out, you would just need higher flow injectors and a tuning tool. So you could re-use the entire intake system. Even more so with Power Pack 3, you could make some big top end power on E85 with the whole GT350 intake setup revving it out to 7500 or really pushing it, 7800 rpm. I think some of the transfer ability issues are centered more around the lack of ability of tuners to use the GT350 hardware effectively, but it is possible if they have enough experience to re-use much of the hardware in the Power Packs. But for pump gas, it's hard to beat them as an overall package, including power output.
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
What if you have a problem with your power pack 2 such as this guy?
View attachment 356690
Will Ford accept datalogs and work with you to figure out the problem? If there's something you don't like about the tune can/will they change it? That to me is a big -1 for the Ford tunes.
20190416_112425.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The question is IS it a tune problem? there is no mention of any troubleshooting in that post, he could have a vacume leak someplace.

Also if it was installed by ford its on ford to diagnose/fix it. He just has to go to a dealer.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
VMP. Great reputation, not far from me in Jacksonville (even though got mail order tunes). I am going with Tony @ Tuners Inc soon to get it dialed in via the dyno.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The question is IS it a tune problem? there is no mention of any troubleshooting in that post, he could have a vacume leak someplace.

Also if it was installed by ford its on ford to diagnose/fix it. He just has to go to a dealer.
Troubleshooting at Ford, is that a joke?

You danced around the main question...

Will Ford accept datalogs and work with you to figure out the problem? If there's something you don't like about the tune can/will they change it? What If you want your shift points changed? What if torque management is killing power, redline raised, ect. Can / will they do any of this?

I'm guessing by your response the answer is NO to all of the above. Which sucks since that's not the case with any of the other tuning options out there.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Troubleshooting at Ford, is that a joke?

You danced around the main question...

Will Ford accept datalogs and work with you to figure out the problem? If there's something you don't like about the tune can/will they change it? What If you want your shift points changed? What if torque management is killing power, redline raised, ect. Can / will they do any of this?

I'm guessing by your response the answer is NO to all of the above. Which sucks since that's not the case with any of the other tuning options out there.
I mean by the owner. But based on your quesiton I can already tell you were not bright enough to pick up on that point.

So you asked 3 and I assumed that #3 was a no shit answer. Why would Ford care about where you want your car to shift? They have a powertrain warranty to worry about, your tuner does not. If you wanan shift 8400 all day that is up to you and your tuner is less likely to pay for what breaks on your car than Ford will if youre running Ford tunes. It's a difference of do you want a warranty or not?

Ford Performance isnt a "tuning option". They are NOT an aftermarket. They are IN HOUSE. Name any IN HOUSE performance group that will do custom tunes on their cars. Heck, most dont offer ANYthing other than intakes, catbacks and some struts/springs. Ford already offers much more than other companies while letting you keep your warranty. How many other companies let you buy a blower from them and be covered still?

Ford surely accept logs.. from their mechanics.. when you take your Ford Tuned car to Ford to get it fixed. Why would FOrd work with YOU when they can work with their rep who works with them, and is trained, and not some idiot owner.

The questions you're asking are just stupid. Ford is NOT your peronal aftermarket tuner. There is a big difference. One lets you break your car, the ohter gives you a safe performance bump.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I mean by the owner. But based on your quesiton I can already tell you were not bright enough to pick up on that point.

So you asked 3 and I assumed that #3 was a no shit answer. Why would Ford care about where you want your car to shift? They have a powertrain warranty to worry about, your tuner does not. If you wanan shift 8400 all day that is up to you and your tuner is less likely to pay for what breaks on your car than Ford will if youre running Ford tunes. It's a difference of do you want a warranty or not?

Ford Performance isnt a "tuning option". They are NOT an aftermarket. They are IN HOUSE. Name any IN HOUSE performance group that will do custom tunes on their cars. Heck, most dont offer ANYthing other than intakes, catbacks and some struts/springs. Ford already offers much more than other companies while letting you keep your warranty. How many other companies let you buy a blower from them and be covered still?

Ford surely accept logs.. from their mechanics.. when you take your Ford Tuned car to Ford to get it fixed. Why would FOrd work with YOU when they can work with their rep who works with them, and is trained, and not some idiot owner.

The questions you're asking are just stupid. Ford is NOT your peronal aftermarket tuner. There is a big difference. One lets you break your car, the ohter gives you a safe performance bump.
Most of the big name tuners will not tune outside of safe margins period unless you specifically ask for it and accept full risk. The Ford tunes are a little too conservative for my taste. AED, PBD, Lund tunes all outperform them easily while still remaining very reliable and within safe parameters.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Most of the big name tuners will not tune outside of safe margins period unless you specifically ask for it and accept full risk. The Ford tunes are a little too conservative for my taste. AED, PBD, Lund tunes all outperform them easily while still remaining very reliable and within safe parameters.
Thats my point, you can ask for it, but they also arent gonan cover it if it breaks. Ford will have to cover that car still, and know that raising the limiter will increase odds of breaking things they will have to cover.
Independant tuners also are not worrying about EPA standards, MPG, and durability for how ever long their extended warranty covers, or having the same exact tune work on every car. If a canned tune from Ford doesnt work you don't have as much oppertunity to get it tweaked, so they need a larger buffer to give larger room for error.

If I just wanted the best power I'd go to Lund, but If I want my car to be covered under warranty while I have one I'd get the Ford tune, and be happy that I even have that option.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Thats my point, you can ask for it, but they also arent gonan cover it if it breaks. Ford will have to cover that car still, and know that raising the limiter will increase odds of breaking things they will have to cover.
Independant tuners also are not worrying about EPA standards, MPG, and durability for how ever long their extended warranty covers, or having the same exact tune work on every car. If a canned tune from Ford doesnt work you don't have as much oppertunity to get it tweaked, so they need a larger buffer to give larger room for error.

If I just wanted the best power I'd go to Lund, but If I want my car to be covered under warranty while I have one I'd get the Ford tune, and be happy that I even have that option.
Understood. I see it from both sides. This is why the datalog portion of tuning is crucial.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

Insulting someone's intelligence you don't even know. Lol. Good one.

2 cars with the exact same mods could each need slightly different tunes. You won't know until you've datalogged and sent that off to your tuner, which isn't an option with the Ford tune.

The Ford tune is the best it can be for ANY car the tune is made for, which leaves room for improvement. Room for improvement. It doesn't mean your car is going to blow up like you're crying about because your not running a Ford tune.

The aftermarket tunes are the best for YOUR car.

Who are you tuned with? The wording you used sounds like your neither Lund or Ford. Just a dreamer?

Don't be scared just because you have a "light typewriter tick"

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Insulting someone's intelligence you don't even know. Lol. Good one.

2 cars with the exact same mods could each need slightly different tunes. You won't know until you've datalogged and sent that off to your tuner, which isn't an option with the Ford tune.

The Ford tune is the best it can be for ANY car the tune is made for, which leaves room for improvement. Room for improvement. It doesn't mean your car is going to blow up like you're crying about because your not running a Ford tune.

The aftermarket tunes are the best for YOUR car.

Who are you tuned with BTW? The wording you used sounds like your neither Lund or Ford. Just a dreamer?
Actually I did Ford Zetecs from 1999-2006 using SCT, Lund tuned my 2003 Mach1, and after break-in and I figure out my mod path Lund will also be doing my BULLITT. I can garantee I know more about tuning and how tunes work, and what goes on inside the ECU than you do.

I insult your inteleligence because your questions are either rhetorical or just dumb. I know how cars react to tunes, and I very well know the difference between a FOrd tune, email canned tune and custom tune.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
VMP. Great reputation, not far from me in Jacksonville (even though got mail order tunes). I am going with Tony @ Tuners Inc soon to get it dialed in via the dyno.
I went with VMP as well. They sell the PMAS CAI kitted with a tune already so I figured it was a well-vetted setup. Seems to be... I haven't had any running issues. The only thing is, a few monitors won't reset so it isn't emissions friendly. If I decide to take the tune off, I can still still use my CAI by simply going back to using the PMAS MAF sensor that came with the intake. Both setups work flawlessly.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I am tuned with one of the big 3 on here and as far as I can tell they did something to the KR sensors, I get vertically no KR when WOT (or any other time). But when I asked for an emissions tune it sees KR values as high as 6-7. When I was first tuning we could not get rid of knock and then voila it was gone after a revision. So I drove on that for a year after re assurances that they didn’t desensitize the sensors. But the second I get another tune for my emissions the can of worms is open again.
Sponsored