Sponsored

Who still has the C-Pillar rattle/buzz?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@Thegipper good to see you found someone who would get after the problem. Fingers crossed. It might be worth applying some/lots of Dynamat back there while it's apart, as you can see there's almost zero sound deadening. When I got into mine I banged my hand on the sheet metal the resonance and boominess was appalling.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@Thegipper good to see you found someone who would get after the problem. Fingers crossed. It might be worth applying some/lots of Dynamat back there while it's apart, when I took mine apart I found there was almost zero sound deadening and when I banged my hand on the sheet metal the resonance and boominess was appalling.
Hi. The circled area is the area being flexed in the video. It’s right above the module.

D9D99A54-E396-4E96-B1F1-6B764123FD23.jpeg

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks John, when I first looked at your post with the vid for some reason I didn't see the photo. :like:

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
It’s crazy that the sheetmetal is the issue (at least for me). The QC and manufacturing methods at Ford are shameful. It’s no wonder they are getting beaten on their home turf by foreign manufactures in terms of car sales.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@Thegipper good to see you found someone who would get after the problem. Fingers crossed. It might be worth applying some/lots of Dynamat back there while it's apart, as you can see there's almost zero sound deadening. When I got into mine I banged my hand on the sheet metal the resonance and boominess was appalling.
Thanks for the suggestion on the dynamat. I’ll see what “sound deadening” the body shop uses and if it’s not enough, I’ll consider it.
I swear this has become an ordeal. Lol.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have the same 'C-pillar rattle' on the video above. And it's pretty clear it's sheet metal creaking. I thought it was behind the C-pillar panel, but the OP might found the answer... and it's much easier to get to, it seems. Please let us know if that was the culprit or not. I'd lodge a hard piece of rubber behind, and give it a test drive, to see if that was it. Hope so. Thx.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I have the same 'C-pillar rattle' on the video above. And it's pretty clear it's sheet metal creaking. I thought it was behind the C-pillar panel, but the OP might found the answer... and it's much easier to get to, it seems. Please let us know if that was the culprit or not. I'd lodge a hard piece of rubber behind, and give it a test drive, to see if that was it. Hope so. Thx.
The body shop put what seems to be red loctite along the seam in the photo and it has helped around 80%. I’m contemplating having them do the same to the seam where it attaches the metal above it near the rear glass too. They didn’t use any sound deadening either. Overall it’s a good sign it can be managed pretty easily.

I think an easy reversible test is to put masking tape along the length of the metal sheet and another horizontally to make a cross and see if it helps.

Last edited:

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Another Update. The “fix” did nothing🤦🏻‍♂️. I was pretty fed up because when the car came back to the dealership, nobody checked the car and even the subwoofer and trunk liner were not reinstalled. It was so lazy.
I called Ford North America and asked for help. They called the dealership and I dropped it off again today and replicated the creaking with my service adviser.
I’ll keep you posted. My guess at this point is it may be the rear glass that’s creaking.

mustang6t9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang Fastback, 2015 Mustang V6 coupe
Another Update. The “fix” did nothing🤦🏻‍♂️. I was pretty fed up because when the car came back to the dealership, nobody checked the car and even the subwoofer and trunk liner were not reinstalled. It was so lazy.
I called Ford North America and asked for help. They called the dealership and I dropped it off again today and replicated the creaking with my service adviser.
I’ll keep you posted. My guess at this point is it may be the rear glass that’s creaking.
I had some creeking coming from the rear on mine. Turned out to be right side sway bar bushing was dry. Removed the clamp and used a silicone grease on the bushing. No more creek.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I had some creeking coming from the rear on mine. Turned out to be right side sway bar bushing was dry. Removed the clamp and used a silicone grease on the bushing. No more creek.
Did your dealer find the problem and fix it or did you?

Sponsored

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Another update:

about a week at the dealership and they still can’t find the source of the creaking.
What is funny is they said the new transmission that was replaced in May after 4 months of ownership is leaking transmission fluid. Hahaha. The fun never ends with this car.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
If the body shop 'fix' made it 80% better a least for a while did you show the dealer what the body shop did?

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
If the body shop 'fix' made it 80% better a least for a while did you show the dealer what the body shop did?
That’s the funny thing too. What I thought was the area with the loctite, is just a weld area and nobody actually knows where they put it. The body shop didn’t specify and nobody seems To know at the dealership.