Who still has the C-Pillar rattle/buzz?

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Just pull straight out starting at the top and work your way down. There are 3 clips. It takes a little force but you shouldn’t break anything. Be mindful of the metal clips on the c-pillar cover fastening tabs. They should stay put, but if not keep an eye out for them and slide them back into place before reinstalling.
Sorry for making this harder than it needs to be, but from Top to Down do you mean grabbing the uppermost part and pulling or going along the rear window.

Again, sorry haha
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sorry for making this harder than it needs to be, but from Top to Down do you mean grabbing the uppermost part and pulling or going along the rear window.

Again, sorry haha

I’m pretty sure he’s referring to removing it as starting at the top where the plastic meets the rear window and where it intersects with the headliner - start carefully pulling it towards you (in a downward fashion) and the panel will “pop” as the clips are being pulled from their sockets away from the body.

Ontheedge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019 K6383
Hey guys, new member here. Proud owner of a 2019 GT, Velocity blue. I had the C-Pillar rattle shortly after delivery of my vehicle. I did not want to bring my car back to the dealership just yet (and lose a day or two of driving) so being *somewhat* handy, I did some sleuthing, found the source of the rattle, and fixed it. Posting here in case this helps anyone else. This is super easy, like 1 out of 5 wrenches. ;)

Short video here: youtu.be/XmqcKfnoUBs

Screenshot 2019-07-29 11.54.40.png
I have a 2019 bullitt and it had a ratteling sound from the c pillar. I found this post and I thought i give it a try.
It worked, no more anoing ratteling.
Thanks for sharing this.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I have the rattle on my 19 and it's super annoying. Definitely going to do this as soon as possible...

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Update- applied the spray foam and felt discs inside driver's side pillar this past weekend and it seems like it's fixed. Now just need to do passenger side, which isn't as bad, but still needs work.

Sponsored

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hi all. I’ve got a 2020 GT and I’ve got the buzz from the passenger C-pillar panel...at least it seems like it’s coming from there. The passenger side has a huge gap from the rear glass above it, while the drivers side C-pillar panel is seated higher and and has much less play.

I’ll post pics of both sides later today.

Are your C-pillar panels perfectly seated and touching the rear window above it or is there a gap?

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Mine were seated properly but still rattled inside.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
I just spent the last hour trying to resolve the buzz ive had since day one. Followed the video by emdavis197, put the 'oreos' behind the igniter, wrapped the retainer wire, put electrical tape on and behind the clips... everything... and the buzz was still there!

I found that driving with the cover off, the buzz was gone.. but as soon as i put it back on.. instantly came back. I tapped lightly on the panel and as soon as i got towards the back clip i could hear a loose rattle. I ended up taking some electrical tape folded over about 6 times and wedged it between the window and the pillar trim in two places towards the back.. and the buzz is gone!

While i wish i could say im happy that it is gone, it is a very crude fix for a very frustrating problem. I may try to find a better solution, even though you can barely see the tape (only i would know it is there). But there is so much cheap plastic all over the back half of the car and it's a wonder more doesn't rattle.

Anyway, just wanted to post this in case someone else ran through all the steps and still could not resolve the rattle.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I just spent the last hour trying to resolve the buzz ive had since day one. Followed the video by emdavis197, put the 'oreos' behind the igniter, wrapped the retainer wire, put electrical tape on and behind the clips... everything... and the buzz was still there!

I found that driving with the cover off, the buzz was gone.. but as soon as i put it back on.. instantly came back. I tapped lightly on the panel and as soon as i got towards the back clip i could hear a loose rattle. I ended up taking some electrical tape folded over about 6 times and wedged it between the window and the pillar trim in two places towards the back.. and the buzz is gone!

While i wish i could say im happy that it is gone, but it is a very crude fix for a very frustrating problem. I may try to find a better solution, even though you can barely see the tape (only i would know it is there). But there is so much cheap plastic all over the back half of the car and it's a wonder more doesn't rattle.

Anyway, just wanted to post this in case someone else ran through all the steps and still could not resolve the rattle.
I took mine in last week and they removed the cover and put felt all around. I believe they padded the airbag canisters and it fixed the problem.

Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I took mine in last week and they removed the cover and put felt all around. I believe their padded the airbag canisters and it fixed the problem.
I may actually take it in for this just so they can fix it properly and document it since it is under warranty. It's good to know what your fix was.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I may actually take it in for this just so they can fix it properly and document it since it is under warranty. It's good to know what your fix was.
no problem. I had to take the foreman on a ride over rough roads to replicate it and he still didn’t seem convinced as to what it was. I suggested he pad the canisters on both sides.

I think it was tapping on the inside of the c-pillar so they have to put the felt on the “inside” as well.

I’m confident it’ll take care of things.

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium

While i wish i could say im happy that it is gone, it is a very crude fix for a very frustrating problem. I may try to find a better solution, even though you can barely see the tape (only i would know it is there). But there is so much cheap plastic all over the back half of the car and it's a wonder more doesn't rattle.

What area did just put the tape on and is it still holding up? I tried emdavis197's fix but I still had the rattle when I put the cover back on, I haven't put spray foam everywhere behind the cover yet, so I thought I should maybe try this easier apporach first. Thank you.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
What area did just put the tape on and is it still holding up? I tried emdavis197's fix but I still had the rattle when I put the cover back on, I haven't put spray foam everywhere behind the cover yet, so I thought I should maybe try this easier apporach first. Thank you.
The buzz is back again!!
It seems to be in the panel under it. I can push it and it goes away. I gave up with it for now. It is only noticeable on rough roads with the windows up and radio off.

I’ll dig into it more later. But for now, it’s just something I rarely hear and I can deal with it.

stangdriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I have a 2019 bullitt and it had a ratteling sound from the c pillar. I found this post and I thought i give it a try.
It worked, no more anoing ratteling.
Thanks for sharing this.
I just did this on my 2019 GT. It was driving me nuts.

I did not have to take the panel completely off to get the pads behind the cylinder.

Took it around the block and so far so good.

Big test will be tomorrow on the interstate.
Sponsored