Sponsored

Who still has the C-Pillar rattle/buzz?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
At this point, I need to find out how to try and initiate a buyback.
I don’t know where or why anyone would attempt to fix any type of squeak or creak with Loctite... why not Elmer’s Glue or just plain old duct tape for that matter.... LMAO.

The proper fix is if there is separation between the 2 pieces of metal and that IS the confirmed source of the noise, then it needs to be clamped and welded.

Another option would be to stuff 3M Body Sealant between the 2 pieces of metal with hopes that once it dries, there would not be any such noise. No guarantees with this method.

—-
As for the Buy Back statement:

Go to your Attorney General or DMV .gov website; read and understand your Home State’s Lemon Laws. Ford adheres to the State Lemon Laws.

In order to do a Buy Back claim, you must meet the criteria of your Home State’s Lemon Law provisions, otherwise the claim just gets denied.

If you’re needing to know more about the Ford Buy Back process - just search the following terms on this site and you’ll get all the info you need:

Ford RAV Buy Back
RAV
RAV Worksheet
Lemon Law
Ford Refund
Buy Back
Lemon
Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
A small discovery that may help someone.
I put some weight in the back of the trunk for traction in winter.
The 80# on the passenger side immediately caused a loud squeak on bumps, sounding like it's coming from the c pillar. Fortunately, it was an easy find. The ballast is causing the foam insulation to rub on the wheelhouse. I can replicate the squeak just by pushing on the trunk lining.

IMG_7083.jpg

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
In the process of trying to fix the creaking, this dealership found that the transmission vent tube was installed incorrectly by the other dealership (since my 10r80 was replaced at 3500 miles) and after it was replaced, it was leaking transmission fluid onto the exhaust and shield carriage. They thought somehow this was the cause of the creaking which made no sense, but I went back to test drive and pick it up and as expected, it didn’t do anything to fix the problem.

The dealership is keeping it and it’s reportedly going to another body shop to check the welds on the panels on the right side of the car then to check the rear glass.

Last edited:

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Real progress.

The dealership sent the car to a different body shop and they report the problem is as follows in the right rear “C-pillar” region:

The roof pillar reinforcement is contacting the inner wheel house and quarter panel approximately in a 4 inch section. They hammered that section apart to create separation as it should have and they placed caulking to prevent contact.

After I test drive it, I’ll update here.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Fingers crossed for you, brother. I hope they (or you) have photos of the solution.

FWIW, I had a much worse buzz the other day, but my kid said it was coming from the plastic interior piece near the quarter window. He pushed on it and something snapped back in place, fixing that rattle. Not the original buzz, but the new one was horrible.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks for the update John. Good to see they're making a genuine attempt to fix it. Sounds like a good dealership noting they also fixed the tube on the 10R80 instead of walking past it.

What a dealership should actually be like!

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I picked up the car this morning.

The problem has been solved for real this time!!!! They should send me a pic of the area repaired. The description they gave of where the issue was from a few posts up is that The roof pillar reinforcement is contacting the inner wheel house and quarter panel approximately in a 4 inch section.

I saw the pic of the area in the service tech’s computer and it looked like the area below where the seatbelt goes into the body. It’s a square area surrounded by metal.

the repair was done from inside the cabin.

now, no more creaking every time I take off from a stop and no creaking over bumpy roads.
Edit: creaking still there over bumpy roads,

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A photo would be nice, to know exactly where the issue might be. Thank you in advance for posting that :).

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
The dealership didn’t send the picture. I sensed they were apprehensive about doing so. The creaking from takeoff has been solved. The leaf-rustling noise over uneven roads has not been solved. This noise is still there:

I’ll take the progress I have made and live with it for another year and a half or so. At this point I’ll be way too upside down on what is owed to jump ship and sell/trade it in for something else.

I definitely won’t be buying another Ford. The materials, manufacturing processes and QC are atrocious.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
The dealership didn’t send the picture. I sensed they were apprehensive about doing so. The creaking from takeoff has been solved. The leaf-rustling noise over uneven roads has not been solved. This noise is still there:

I’ll take the progress I have made and live with it for another year and a half or so. At this point I’ll be way too upside down on what is owed to jump ship and sell/trade it in for something else.

I definitely won’t be buying another Ford. The materials, manufacturing processes and QC are atrocious.
Sorry to hear it is still not 100% gone. I am in the same boat, I have used felt material at the C-pillar, filled the entire area with expanding liquid foam. Most of the noise is gone but I still have the same sound you are experiencing. I think I will have to take a look at the rear shelf now because the C pillar noise is not there (atleast it seems that way) but this slight creaking sound is constantly there.

Agreed, not buying another Ford. The QC is really bad (same with my Honda Civic) that thing is a rattle box too.

Sponsored

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Sorry to hear it is still not 100% gone. I am in the same boat, I have used felt material at the C-pillar, filled the entire area with expanding liquid foam. Most of the noise is gone but I still have the same sound you are experiencing. I think I will have to take a look at the rear shelf now because the C pillar noise is not there (atleast it seems that way) but this slight creaking sound is constantly there.

Agreed, not buying another Ford. The QC is really bad (same with my Honda Civic) that thing is a rattle box too.
I’m also sorry to hear that you’re dealing with this. It’s such a hassle to deal with these things and are left with the choices of either being constantly dissatisfied with the car because the dealership can’t/won’t fix it, having to pay out of pocket to have a third party try and fix it or sell it and lose a lot.

I really wanted to love the car. The example I happened to get is so horrific, I never would have imagined it was possible in 2020 buy a new car with this many issues.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The leaf-rustling noise over uneven roads has not been solved. This noise is still there
Hey, just a heads up on that noise. I literally just heard that exact noise on another thread, and it was the TED device behind the front passenger seat. You can quiet it completely by pressing just above the map pocket (in the middle of it), so give it a try. If that's your issue, the easiest fix was to place a book, or something that can press over that area. Otherwise, the seatback has to be stripped to fix the rattling TED device. Hope this helps.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I’m also sorry to hear that you’re dealing with this. It’s such a hassle to deal with these things and are left with the choices of either being constantly dissatisfied with the car because the dealership can’t/won’t fix it, having to pay out of pocket to have a third party try and fix it or sell it and lose a lot.

I really wanted to love the car. The example I happened to get is so horrific, I never would have imagined it was possible in 2020 buy a new car with this many issues.
Hey, just a heads up on that noise. I literally just heard that exact noise on another thread, and it was the TED device behind the front passenger seat. You can quiet it completely by pressing just above the map pocket (in the middle of it), so give it a try. If that's your issue, the easiest fix was to place a book, or something that can press over that area. Otherwise, the seatback has to be stripped to fix the rattling TED device. Hope this helps.
thanks! Now don’t laugh....what’s a TED device?

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
My car is back at the dealership for a nail in the tire and a wrench light that came on.

they told me that in the process of also trying to solve the rear right creaking sound, they found that my flywheel is damaged and needs to be replaced.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️. This is a 2020 I bought new. It now has just over 12,000 miles on it, is completely stock and has never been to a drag strip or track.
Sponsored