Who has cut the cord (cable)?

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
Can't cut the cable if I want internet. Went back to charter a couple of years ago and dropped the landline. TV and internet roughly $145 mo. With landline, dsl and dish network it was $100 higher roughly. We use amazon prime video and some netflix. Thinking about dropping netflix though.
Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Just know. Sooner then later, then number of people using hulu and netflix will force a shift in how you get tv.

Networks have to get their revenue. If large numbers of people stop paying for traditional tv (cable / satalite) networks like espn and discovery ect ect will be forced to charge hulu and netflix more for their shows to be on those services / stand alone apps.

Your cost of internet will increase as companies have to bulk up capacity to cover the extra bandwidth.

Way too many details to get into here. But cord cutters are saving money now. But soon it will all equal out again.

Networks and providers will get paid. No way around it.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
I dont see how plex is a blessing to be honest... I love what is has as its offerings, but I dont really get hoe paying per viewing is any better than cable in the first place.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I dont see how plex is a blessing to be honest... I love what is has as its offerings, but I dont really get hoe paying per viewing is any better than cable in the first place.

Is Plex charging now? They must had shed all of them xbmc code in order to do that then.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Can't cut the cable if I want internet. Went back to charter a couple of years ago and dropped the landline. TV and internet roughly $145 mo. With landline, dsl and dish network it was $100 higher roughly. We use amazon prime video and some netflix. Thinking about dropping netflix though.
I kept the "one movie out at a time" netflix... think it is $8. Fine for what I do... just enough to see the "best movies" from months ago. :D

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Just know. Sooner then later, then number of people using hulu and netflix will force a shift in how you get tv.

Networks have to get their revenue. If large numbers of people stop paying for traditional tv (cable / satalite) networks like espn and discovery ect ect will be forced to charge hulu and netflix more for their shows to be on those services / stand alone apps.

Your cost of internet will increase as companies have to bulk up capacity to cover the extra bandwidth.

Way too many details to get into here. But cord cutters are saving money now. But soon it will all equal out again.

Networks and providers will get paid. No way around it.
I believe the "cable" companies will have to change business models... much like Blackberry or IBM or Xerox.

I wonder how many people will keep paying "xxx.xx" amount simply because they like the number of channels? I think the cable companies are good for a while.

I'm not sure people who pay xx.xx now will all of a sudden have to pay xxx.xx.... I think those people (like me) will have other options in the future, if we are willing to make sacrifices. And I believe companies will cater to us instead of trying to force money from our pockets. My theory anyway...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Cut after 12+ years with DirecTV (originally for Sunday Ticket)

- OTA for all locals in beautiful HD
- Netflix
- Amazon Prime
- AppleTVs (FireSticks, PS3/4) for sub based services like HBO, Showtime, FX combined with a few show specific purchases

Simpler, cheaper and no more half-assed, janky equipment. :D

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
^^^ This is what I was looking at doing until I found out I would need an aerial the size of a house to get OTA signals here in the sticks :(

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Yep. They are actually just releasing v17 and for the fist time since 2009 have a new default skin. No more Confluence. (Though I've been partial to Neon since that was my creation. ;) )

Plex has shifted more towards streaming; though I haven't checked it out in a couple years.
Nice, I don't remember that skin but I loved XBMC.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
I kept the "one movie out at a time" netflix... think it is $8. Fine for what I do... just enough to see the "best movies" from months ago. :D
That was my thought originally but I find that Amazon Prime has a better selection to me. And I buy enough junk on Amazon to almost justify paying for Prime:lol:

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
^^^ This is what I was looking at doing until I found out I would need an aerial the size of a house to get OTA signals here in the sticks :(
To be honest, we could almost skip network/locals, there's a couple of Fox shows we get via the Fox ATV app the day after they air. Maybe a few NFL games, but most of what we watch is on cable, premiums or streaming services:

Better Call Saul
House of Cards
GOT
Walking Dead
House of Lies
Silicon Valley
Penny Dreadful
Fargo
Adventure Time
Bob's Burgers
Mr. Robot
Rick and Morty

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
MY wife watches a lot of these cop/fire house/hospital shows (Castle, Chicago SVU etc.), hard to get them without OTA and a DVR to avoid the endless commercials that come with them.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I believe the "cable" companies will have to change business models... much like Blackberry or IBM or Xerox.
I work for the 2nd largest cable company. The entire industry is getting stood on its head.

The content providers, HBO, ESPN, Discovery, ect ect are actually the ones getting hit the hardest.

Every "cord cutter" is lost revenue for them They need revenue to produce the content everyone sees as reruns on the netflix / hulu / primes.
Sponsored