Sponsored

Whippled Mach 1 vs GT500

seeyalater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Mach 1
My current weekend cruiser is a Mach 1 with a manual transmission and a stage 1 Whipple supercharger. While I don't take it to the track, it's an absolute blast to drive around town and looks amazing. I'm kinda shocked at how many compliments I get from random people.

For years, I've wanted a Shelby GT350 or GT500. With my 50th birthday approaching this summer, I've been contemplating trading in my Mach 1 for a Performance Blue GT500 with or without the CFTP. However, I can't help but wonder if the GT500 would feel significantly different from what I already have with the Mach 1, or if it would essentially be a dual-clutch version of the same car.

Maybe I should get a C7Z instead, but that seems more suitable for my 60th birthday....

Mach-Whip.jpg
Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
My two cents:

First off, beautiful Mach. Is it a handling pack car? If so, driving on the street shouldn't be that measurably different, I'd imagine. I think the Mach shares a lot of the Shelby parts, although I think the 500 has different Mag ride tuning. The 500 has bigger and better brakes, but driving on the street, this doesn't matter.

Your car is likely faster than a stock 500 I'd assume. What the 500 has is the DCT, which is incredible for putting power down and overall control of the car, and the bulletproof Forged 5.2. The Predator has more room for bigger power, and will do it without breaking a sweat and be bulletproof while doing it. I also like that it doesn't have direct injection, and is old school speed density, so you can do stuff like intakes and headers and shit without tuning it.

I get a LOT of attention in my car, which I assume you do as well, so you'll be used to that. The Shelby will hold value better than the Mach. Maintenance is gonna be more expensive on the 500. I just paid $600 for my 20k mile DCT filter and fluid change, and oil changes are $250.

Lastly, I've driven manuals my whole life. Some days I miss it a little bit, but the 500 is the most fun car I've ever driven, and the DCT is incredible and just objectively better in every way. This car would be a completely different car without it, and wouldn't put power down nearly as well as it does.

PS: Your Mach is cooler than a C7Z, and I've shit on a couple of those already :sunglasses: 😀

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
The biggest difference in the driving experience will probably be the DCT. Which, while being amazing, it doesn't make the car sit different or handle worlds different which is what you would get going to a completely different platform.

Also, If that 800, is 800 to the wheels, your car is probably a little faster. You would need to mod the 500 to a small degree to match or best the performance you are already used to.

I toyed with the idea of getting in a C7 z06, when I got into my GT500.

What swayed me to the 500 was the c7 was already outdated and it would be much easier to get performance out of the 500 in the aftermarket.

In 2024, the only corvette I would actually OWN is a c8 z06. However, the aftermarket support at this point is basically non-existent. So your modded Mach and a stock GT5000 are both faster at speed, which is going to translate to being overall faster on the street.

However, there a certain things the s550 can't replicate from the c8 driving experience. Being mid engine, lower to the ground, an overall smaller package ... you just can't replicate that by adding more power or upgrading the suspension. It feels refreshingly different even when the car is parked and you sit in the drivers seat. It also comes with the same DCT, in 8 speed form however.

OP
OP
seeyalater

seeyalater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Mach 1
@DopamineQuest yes, it has the Track Pack, or whatever they call it, so it has a similar stance to the GT500, minus the aggressive hood.

@JayAction I think the Stage 1 Whipple claims 750 to the engine, so maybe 600WHP which honestly with TC off and manual transmission is plenty of power. I can spin the tires all thru 3rd gear to 90mph.

I'm not really feeling the vette too much. The only other car I'd consider would be a 991.1 GT3 but they're still going for $150K for a 8 year old car with potential engine issues and the engine warranty about to run out. I owned a out of warranty Cayman S years ago which had the IMS bearing issue, and every time I got on it hard I would worry about blowing a $30K motor. So it kept me from really enjoying it.

The GT500 is a fairly simple car to wrench on and most parts are reasonably priced. So there isn't too much to worry about.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
I think the Stage 1 Whipple claims 750 to the engine, so maybe 600WHP which honestly with TC off and manual transmission is plenty of power. I can spin the tires all thru 3rd gear to 90mph.
Ah I see. GT500's are anywhere from 660-700 whp stock, I can punch mine at 70 mph and it won't spin unless its cold outside. The trick is trying to get 2nd to hook at 60 mph, but when it does, it's amazing.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
My current weekend cruiser is a Mach 1 with a manual transmission and a stage 1 Whipple supercharger. While I don't take it to the track, it's an absolute blast to drive around town and looks amazing. I'm kinda shocked at how many compliments I get from random people.

For years, I've wanted a Shelby GT350 or GT500. With my 50th birthday approaching this summer, I've been contemplating trading in my Mach 1 for a Performance Blue GT500 with or without the CFTP. However, I can't help but wonder if the GT500 would feel significantly different from what I already have with the Mach 1, or if it would essentially be a dual-clutch version of the same car.

Maybe I should get a C7Z instead, but that seems more suitable for my 60th birthday....

Mach-Whip.jpg
Looks like you are missing the front wheel arch extensions (unless you intentionally took them off) Your dealership should have provided and installed them. When I bought my car, I had to go back to the dealership to get them, as they had not installed them and I just did it myself.

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Ahh, if you are only making about 750 crank, the stock 500 will probably be just a tad faster due to the DCT. So a stock 500 still really won't be much of an upgrade or a drastically different experience.

FYI

On 93 octane, the Whipple 3.8L on the biggest pulley, is rated at 900 to the wheels, 1030 crank on the 5.2L predator. With injectors, tune, install, looking at maybe around $13,000.

A consideration, that may sway things in favor of the GT500.

If you are just tired of the experience of a Mustang though, that extra power means nothing.

Mach Daddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
My two cents:

First off, beautiful Mach. Is it a handling pack car? If so, driving on the street shouldn't be that measurably different, I'd imagine. I think the Mach shares a lot of the Shelby parts, although I think the 500 has different Mag ride tuning. The 500 has bigger and better brakes, but driving on the street, this doesn't matter.

Your car is likely faster than a stock 500 I'd assume. What the 500 has is the DCT, which is incredible for putting power down and overall control of the car, and the bulletproof Forged 5.2. The Predator has more room for bigger power, and will do it without breaking a sweat and be bulletproof while doing it. I also like that it doesn't have direct injection, and is old school speed density, so you can do stuff like intakes and headers and shit without tuning it.

I get a LOT of attention in my car, which I assume you do as well, so you'll be used to that. The Shelby will hold value better than the Mach. Maintenance is gonna be more expensive on the 500. I just paid $600 for my 20k mile DCT filter and fluid change, and oil changes are $250.

Lastly, I've driven manuals my whole life. Some days I miss it a little bit, but the 500 is the most fun car I've ever driven, and the DCT is incredible and just objectively better in every way. This car would be a completely different car without it, and wouldn't put power down nearly as well as it does.

PS: Your Mach is cooler than a C7Z, and I've shit on a couple of those already :sunglasses: 😀
You pay $250 for an oil change?????? Wtf, my mach with 10 quarts of full syn and a filter is like $60 including the motorcraft filter. What a rip off.

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
You pay $250 for an oil change?????? Wtf, my mavh with 10 quarts of full syn and a filter like $60 including the motorcraft filter. What a rip off.
GT500s take 12 qts.

But are you sure they are giving you full syn, or actually giving you the full 10 qts lol?

$60 would be less than the cost of the oil alone

Mach Daddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
GT500s take 12 qts.

But are you sure they are giving you full syn, or actually giving you the full 10 qts lol?

$60 would be less than the cost of the oil alone
That is buying it myself. It's $25 for a 5 gallon jug of Mobil 1 or Pennszoil, and it cost me $8 for the filter. Bought them last weekend. My mechanic charges me $25 to do it.

Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
That is buying it myself. It's $25 for a 5 gallon jug of Mobil 1 or Pennszoil, and it cost me $8 for the filter. Bought them last weekend. My mechanic charges me $25 to do it.
Ford GTs and GT500s call for Motorcraft 5w50 Full Synthetic. It's $150 on amazon for the oil alone, 5w50 a lot more expensive than 5w20 or 30.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Beautiful ride OP. I am looking forward to when I supercharge mine!

I think you will be happy with either option. Its up to you if you want a fast manual transmission car vs a fast shifting DCT GT500. I personally want to have both. But the GT500 of course is built to take the beating and has much more room for power if you are looking to increase it even more.

BTW no one cares about how much you paid for your oil and what oil you are using. We have a million of those threads already.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Ford GTs and GT500s call for Motorcraft 5w50 Full Synthetic. It's $150 on amazon for the oil alone, 5w50 a lot more expensive than 5w20 or 30.
For sure on the bold. I recently helped a buddy change oil on both his '16 GT/CS and '12 Boss 302 LS, and all I heard the entire time was the crying about the price of the oil for the Boss.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
For sure on the bold. I recently helped a buddy change oil on both his '16 GT/CS and '12 Boss 302 LS, and all I heard the entire time was the crying about the price of the oil for the Boss.
Yea it's brutal, I miss my 50 dollar coyote oil changes lol
Sponsored