Sponsored

Whippled Mach 1 vs GT500

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
My current weekend cruiser is a Mach 1 with a manual transmission and a stage 1 Whipple supercharger. While I don't take it to the track, it's an absolute blast to drive around town and looks amazing. I'm kinda shocked at how many compliments I get from random people.

For years, I've wanted a Shelby GT350 or GT500. With my 50th birthday approaching this summer, I've been contemplating trading in my Mach 1 for a Performance Blue GT500 with or without the CFTP. However, I can't help but wonder if the GT500 would feel significantly different from what I already have with the Mach 1, or if it would essentially be a dual-clutch version of the same car.

Maybe I should get a C7Z instead, but that seems more suitable for my 60th birthday....

Mach-Whip.jpg
I can't imagine the ride would be much different on the street or the track, but honestly have no idea. The gt500 will have more appeal.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'm surprised you're considering a GT500 and even a C7Z, but you're not [apparently] considering a Camaro ZL1. I would probably actually take the ZL1 over any of those cars, despite my love for Mustangs and some obvious drawbacks to the Camaro. If you want that much power and performance, and are willing to put up with questionable street manners, the ZL1 seems unbeatable... And it's not much more expensive than those other two options, either, is it?

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'd keep the manual mach 1 with the Tremec and Whipple.

Hell of a combo that you can turn up and run with just about ANY gt500 you come across.

OP
OP
seeyalater

seeyalater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Mach 1
I'd keep the manual mach 1 with the Tremec and Whipple.

Hell of a combo that you can turn up and run with just about ANY gt500 you come across.

I drove the Mach to work yesterday and now I'm not sure if I could trade it for a DCT/Automatic version. Between manually changing gears and the insane amount of power that's trying to kill you with every shift, it's pretty exhilarating.

I'm going to keep looking at Performance Blue GT500s in case a good deal shows up locally, but I'm also looking at 991 GT3s and possibly a Carrera T.

OP
OP
seeyalater

seeyalater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Mach 1
I'm surprised you're considering a GT500 and even a C7Z, but you're not [apparently] considering a Camaro ZL1. I would probably actually take the ZL1 over any of those cars, despite my love for Mustangs and some obvious drawbacks to the Camaro. If you want that much power and performance, and are willing to put up with questionable street manners, the ZL1 seems unbeatable... And it's not much more expensive than those other two options, either, is it?
I know the ZL1 1LE is a very capable car and looks pretty wild too, but for some reason I just can't get excited about it.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I drove the Mach to work yesterday and now I'm not sure if I could trade it for a DCT/Automatic version. Between manually changing gears and the insane amount of power that's trying to kill you with every shift, it's pretty exhilarating.

I'm going to keep looking at Performance Blue GT500s in case a good deal shows up locally, but I'm also looking at 991 GT3s and possibly a Carrera T.
Please stop it. The Big itch for a SC is killing me. LOL

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Camaro? Come on why would he want a GM vehicle LOL. Its not all about performance to a a vehicle. Its about the whole package, the Mustang been selling all these years for a reason. The Mach 1 wins in the looks alone. If we talk about performance only then I would be driving a BMW M2, but then I would get stuck with a ugly vehicle with terrible exhaust.

Edit: I got no hate towards the C7 even though its a GM vehicle

Last edited:

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Camaro? Come on why would he want a GM vehicle LOL. Its not all about performance to a a vehicle. Its about the whole package, the Mustang been selling all these years for a reason. The Mach 1 wins in the looks alone. If we talk about performance only then I would be driving a BMW M2, but then I would get stuck with a ugly vehicle with terrible exhaust.

Take cover, friendly fire incoming: ZL1 is a great looking car. As far as looks, > Mach 1 (Im not a Mustang homer.)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

M2 is not a good looking car, I agree with you. Saw one last weekend (M240 so not THE M2 but close enough). Hard pass on looks alone for me

IMG_3039.jpeg

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Take cover, friendly fire incoming: ZL1 is a great looking car. As far as looks, > Mach 1 (Im not a Mustang homer.)
Let’s agree to disagree.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For what its worth, I would rather have a GT500 than a supercharged Mach 1 w/ HP. I'd also rather have a C7 Z06 than a supercharged Mach 1. Tough call on C7Z vs GT500. Depends if you need back seats. I think the GT500s are similar priced if you compare 2019 Z06 to 2020 GT500. I wouldn't want a 2020 GT500 that was built during Covid so I'd have to buy a '21 or 22, which are more expensive than a Z06. I recall a lot of grumbling from folks on here about their early Covid built GT500s.

Z06 is 600 lbs lighter than a GT500 so any added hp goes further. They are both capable of similar 1/4 mile times at a drag strip bone stock (10s). Z06 probably a little quicker on the street at low speeds due to better front/rear weight distribution (50/50 vs 56/44) and lighter weight.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/1...rranty-coverage-over-on-track-heating-issues/

I hear there are fixes now for the overheating issues. But that would keep me away. Well, plus I just don't fit in a Corvette with a helmet on. Ugggh, and the removable top on a track car doesn't seem like the best idea in the world to me. I want to like Corvettes, but they just miss the mark for me.

I love my Camaro. Yes, it's ugly - arguably uglier than the M2 - but as a driver's car they are great. I don't really like supercharged vehicles that much, but I bet the ZL1 would be fun. Around town even the naturally aspirated version of the 6.2 is a blast. It has a ton more midrange than the Coyote.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/1...rranty-coverage-over-on-track-heating-issues/

I hear there are fixes now for the overheating issues. But that would keep me away. Well, plus I just don't fit in a Corvette with a helmet on. Ugggh, and the removable top on a track car doesn't seem like the best idea in the world to me. I want to like Corvettes, but they just miss the mark for me.

I love my Camaro. Yes, it's ugly - arguably uglier than the M2 - but as a driver's car they are great. I don't really like supercharged vehicles that much, but I bet the ZL1 would be fun. Around town even the naturally aspirated version of the 6.2 is a blast. It has a ton more midrange than the Coyote.
No way I think the Camaro is for sure better looking than the M2. I was just expressing my personal taste, good thing we all have different taste. :like:Camaro just doesn’t do it for me but glad you are enjoying yours. I am sure it’s an awesome drivers car and who doesn’t like a 6 speed v8 in anything really

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
ZL1 is a good looking car, looks mean. In general, the Alpha chassis and the suspension in the Camaro is better than the Mustang right off the shelf. But, the Mustang is the better looking car and has a far larger aftermarket than the Camaro (at least from what I can tell).

At least to me, visibility is a major issue with the Camaro and one that has prevented me from buying one twice now. Others say it’s not a huge deal but every time I drive one it bothers me. The 1LE makes a lot of cars look bad on a track though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
ZL1 is a good looking car, looks mean. In general, the Alpha chassis and the suspension in the Camaro is better than the Mustang right off the shelf. But, the Mustang is the better looking car and has a far larger aftermarket than the Camaro (at least from what I can tell).

At least to me, visibility is a major issue with the Camaro and one that has prevented me from buying one twice now. Others say it’s not a huge deal but every time I drive one it bothers me. The 1LE makes a lot of cars look bad on a track though.
Yes the visibility isn't that great. I still have to be really careful when I try to change lanes. I don't think the Alpha chassis is better than the Mustang chassis, either - so I don't see the "magic chassis" as a reason to buy one. I think the two cars are roughly comparable - the Camaro does feel slightly more rigid. The Camaro is slightly lighter and comes with stiffer suspension. If you put stiffer springs/shocks on a Mustang, they handle pretty similarly.

One thing I don't like about the Alpha chassis is that all the subframe members in the car are very fragile. Jacking the car up can be a real pain.
Sponsored