Sponsored

Whipple tuning options

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a stage 1 kit now, I know down the road I plan on upgrading. Instead of going with the stage 2 upgrade that just retains the flare tool and downloaded tune, I wanted to go with a custom tune.
My big question is what I’ll need to have to actually tune it. My understanding is that the flare tool only works for their whipple tune. I want to go PBD tune, so would I need an ngauge or some other tuner device?
Plans are stage 2 throttle body, 1050x injectors, 3.6 pulley.
Sponsored

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You'd need a Ngauge for PBD and a new IAT harness. Any of the vendors here can hook you up like Beefcakeracing, Lethal Performance, etc

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You'd need a Ngauge for PBD and a new IAT harness. Any of the vendors here can hook you up like Beefcakeracing, Lethal Performance, etc
Oh fun!!! so you gotta go behind their and mess with the harness again. Lol thanks

Sponsored

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
Yes I know.I had to do it with the roush also.
I thought it was a fair deal at $999 to get the Ngauge,the iat harness and the tune.
They will log and revise with you till it is good.They hit mine first shot,no revisions.
You can download the log from the ngauge and read in excel.They looked fine to me.
Timing was right,fuel was right,let it ride.
The only drawback was come emissions time.Monitors would not set.Rob gave me another file to try and still NG.
So I wound up reloading the ford racing tune back in,they set very fast,got my sticker,the loaded the PBD again.
More likely you will be doing the same thing

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Lund if its an auto. PBD, Lund, AED. or VMP if its a stick shift. I have personally run VMp, PBD and currently Lund on my FI setup. Lethal and VMP Performance have an IAT swap kit. Its required for custom tuning. IAT2 is not used for custom tuning on 15+ cars. They replace the current IAT sensor with one that matches the slope of the IAT sensor in the MAF unit and then tie it into the IAT sensor with an adapter harness. The IAT sensor in the MAF is no longer used. No longer needed for that matter either.

You can use the SCT X4 with PBD or VMP. Lund was supporting it also the last time I was on their website. That said, I would never use anything but an Ngauge device for an S550 platform again. I just udpated my Lund tune and it took 3 minutes. A similar update when I was with PBD on an SCTX4 took me an afternoon to get loaded. Just too much hassle. With Ngauge bam! and its done. No forced firmware and/or software updates, no crank trigger relearns or other erroneous DCT's to deal with. Previous S197 platform cars were a dream to tune with SCT devices regardless of the tuner. I'd only use an Ngauge device on S550 for remote tuning.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
PS - You can also use SCT's livelink II and view the datalogs from the Ngauge also. Livelink will open and plot out any .CSV file. Free download from SCT. Much easier than trying to scroll through excel.

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If I was you, I would get it tuned with the stage 1 kit and then again once you upgrade to the stage 2 kit. I have a Lund tune on my whipple kit and it's fantastic. Nguage is an awesome device to have, able to customize and see everything that is going on with your car. Highly recommend you getting it tuned by Lund of PBR as soon as you can.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I know.I had to do it with the roush also.
I thought it was a fair deal at $999 to get the Ngauge,the iat harness and the tune.
They will log and revise with you till it is good.They hit mine first shot,no revisions.
You can download the log from the ngauge and read in excel.They looked fine to me.
Timing was right,fuel was right,let it ride.
The only drawback was come emissions time.Monitors would not set.Rob gave me another file to try and still NG.
So I wound up reloading the ford racing tune back in,they set very fast,got my sticker,the loaded the PBD again.
More likely you will be doing the same thing
Good to know man thanks, I will have to do that for emissions

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If I was you, I would get it tuned with the stage 1 kit and then again once you upgrade to the stage 2 kit. I have a Lund tune on my whipple kit and it's fantastic. Nguage is an awesome device to have, able to customize and see everything that is going on with your car. Highly recommend you getting it tuned by Lund of PBR as soon as you can.
Thanks for all the info man. Seems like ngauge is the way to go

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Did you retain your original Whipple Tune on your new Ngauge Lund Tune?

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
I personally cant say enough positive about my Jon Lund/Ngauge experience. He has been with me over this last year from the stock 460hp to now over 850rwhp Whipple combo. He has been responsive, kept the tunes safe yet performing extremely well and also helps me get down the track. I highly recommend!
Sam

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I personally cant say enough positive about my Jon Lund/Ngauge experience. He has been with me over this last year from the stock 460hp to now over 850rwhp Whipple combo. He has been responsive, kept the tunes safe yet performing extremely well and also helps me get down the track. I highly recommend!
Sam
Did you ever use the Whipple Tune?

HRSEPLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
A Bunch
I did not, I went straight with Jon and the Ngauge right away.
Sponsored