Whipple please help!!!!!

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
So are you guys referring to the spring loaded tensioner on passenger side of engine or the slide tensioner on the lower driver side near the alternator? I imagine you mean the spring loaded tensioner but I just want to confirm.

I had the dreaded squeak but after I installed the updated pulley bracket feet it went away.

Yes, top notch customer service by everyone at Whipple :)

Jaime
Hi Jaime, I'm pretty sure it was the spring loaded one on the passenger side. Sounds like yours was installed correctly. The early instructions didn't have any pictures or mention which way to install it so it was a 50/50 chance of it being installed backwards. Sounds like they have updated the instructions to eliminate this issue going forward.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
I was able to get to the pulley today. Yes it was the spring loaded pulley, but I found it was installed correctly; however, I needed an impact to have the pulley removed from the bracket. I would bet installer didn’t worry for much about torque values. All of the pulleys for the 10 Rib were torqued down crazy tight. Two I was able to use a breaker bar, but the spring one of the idler pulleys were ridiculously tight. I went through them all and loosened and then tightened them down to the torque values provided from Whipple.

I had a hack of a times getting the belt back on, but I eventually got it on. The squeak is gone for now, which makes me really happy. We will see if it comes back.

Again thanks to Will and Whipple, thanks for all the help.

Rich

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Might want to retorque everything then. I know on the 6 rib, the torque specs are only 18lbs/ft, IIRC. That's not a lot

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
two days no squeak, I know im tempting fait, but ive never been one to walk away from a challenge... lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Snap ring faces the engine, this is on all idler pulleys. If snap ring is forward, that is the problem.
it was installed correctly, however, i needed and impact to get them off. the installer had them on so tight i needed breaker bars and impact wrenches to get them off. once i tighten them down to the torque values the noise went away.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
it was installed correctly, however, i needed and impact to get them off. the installer had them on so tight i needed breaker bars and impact wrenches to get them off. once i tighten them down to the torque values the noise went away.
They were afraid they were going to get spun off from the monster 2.9 lol.

Glad you got it figured out.

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
maybe... lol im just glad its squeaky free.....

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Well story of my life. I guess I spoke too soon. damn squeak is back.... guess ill be pulling the belt off again and trying to figure out the issue...

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Bummer man! I had a belt noise and was able to get rid of it by turning the belt around (old trick). No Noise now for a bout 5 weeks and 1.5K miles, finger still crossed it doesn't return.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Very possible the over tightened pulleys damaged the belt so definitely just try flipping it around. If it keep squeeking a lot of guys have had good success getting an AutoZone replacement belt.

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Would Auto Zone carry the 10 Rib Belt?

ive already turned the belt around once

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Would Auto Zone carry the 10 Rib Belt?

ive already turned the belt around once
No that is a custom belt made for us. You can take some emery cloth and sand the rough edges on the belt. You will sometimes find burs or edges on the belt if something was off when everything was over torqued. The noise is the edge of the belt touching a guard, usually the water pump. This is normally a damaged section of the belt. So remove belt and run fingers around edges and see if you feel any wire or Kevlar on the edges. If not we can get you another belt Monday.

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Thank you
Sponsored