2015 GT Whipple 3.0 Belt Install…please help

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Man, I’m a pretty mechanical person. This is my second SC install by myself and the third I’ve been a part of and this one is the worst…the manual on this one sucks. Every time I do some thing I have to undo because there is something that isn’t in the manual or that just isn’t clear…so stupid.

Ok rant over…now I’m trying to get this belt on. It’s so f’ing tight that I can not get it on.

Im starting at the tensioner and working my way around the bottom and back up the the SC pulley and trying to finish it by sliding it over the smooth idler right below the SC pulley. Me and my son have spent over an over messing with this and there is no way. I can’t get enough slack to slide it over this pulley. What am I doing wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I need to get this done already. If I have to contact Whipple I’ll loose the who.e weekend. Thanks
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Man, I’m a pretty mechanical person. This is my second SC install by myself and the third I’ve been a part of and this one is the worst…the manual on this one sucks. Every time I do some thing I have to undo because there is something that isn’t in the manual or that just isn’t clear…so stupid.

Ok rant over…now I’m trying to get this belt on. It’s so f’ing tight that I can not get it on.

Im starting at the tensioner and working my way around the bottom and back up the the SC pulley and trying to finish it by sliding it over the smooth idler right below the SC pulley. Me and my son have spent over an over messing with this and there is no way. I can’t get enough slack to slide it over this pulley. What am I doing wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I need to get this done already. If I have to contact Whipple I’ll loose the who.e weekend. Thanks
Your like the second person on newest post having issues with the pully/belt. When you figure this out please update. I will be installing my stage 2 within a couple of weeks. Good luck

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Visual for you on the pulley orientation.

20231202_210357.jpg

20231202_210410.jpg

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Is your sliding idler set to the loosest part of the range of motion? The sliding idler “nut” also has an eccentric in it. Even if it’s slid all the way to the loose end, there still could be another ~1/4” you can move the idler if you flip the nut 180°. When I first did my 2019 I had the nut flipped wrong and couldn’t get the belt on. Hopefully it’s as simple as that.

Here are some screenshots from the 2015 manual. You can see that the bolt hole is offset to one side giving a little more movement. That’s the first thing I’d check.

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What size pulley is on the blower and what belt are you using? If using the 3.875 pulley the complete kits come with, it should also include the Gates K060824 belt.

If everything is correct, it should go on without much fuss with exactly how you’re doing it. Sliding the belt over the smooth idler pulley directly below the blower pulley is the easiest way. The Whipple tensioner has a pretty strong spring in it, so it does take quite a bit to compress it fully. A long breaker bar is helpful. I’ve been able to put the belt on even with the sliding idler (mentioned in the post above) set all the way to it’s tightest position.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What size pulley is on the blower and what belt are you using? If using the 3.875 pulley the complete kits come with, it should also include the Gates K060824 belt.

If everything is correct, it should go on without much fuss with exactly how you’re doing it. Sliding the belt over the smooth idler pulley directly below the blower pulley is the easiest way. The Whipple tensioner has a pretty strong spring in it, so it does take quite a bit to compress it fully. A long breaker bar is helpful. I’ve been able to put the belt on even with the sliding idler (mentioned in the post above) set all the way to it’s tightest position.
im using whatever the kit came with. I have a very long breaker bar and I’m definitely compressing it all the way.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Is your sliding idler set to the loosest part of the range of motion? The sliding idler “nut” also has an eccentric in it. Even if it’s slid all the way to the loose end, there still could be another ~1/4” you can move the idler if you flip the nut 180°. When I first did my 2019 I had the nut flipped wrong and couldn’t get the belt on. Hopefully it’s as simple as that.

Here are some screenshots from the 2015 manual. You can see that the bolt hole is offset to one side giving a little more movement. That’s the first thing I’d check.

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg
Ok I’m not sure, I will check this first thing. Thank you for this.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg
Visual for you on the pulley orientation.

20231202_210357.jpg

20231202_210410.jpg
So it’s a little hard to tell but maybe you can clarify. There are 2 pullies with orange bearings and 2 with black bearings. I have the orange one in the center below the SC pullies…

IMG_0378.jpeg

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
The sliding idler is on the driver’s side of the crankshaft.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Adjust the slider to the lowest/inward setting. Take a piece of string and measure the entire routing length (with the tensioner at rest). This should give you an idea of whether the belt length is an issue.

If you have someone to help you, you can actually move the tensioner to it's fully compressed position. With the slider in it's lowest/tightest position and the tensioner fully compressed, this would be the absolute MINIMUM belt length just to fit (but not operate in proper spec).

If the belt length isn't at least slightly larger than that measurement, you'll never get it on because it's not long enough.

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
im using whatever the kit came with. I have a very long breaker bar and I’m definitely compressing it all the way.
Did you confirm the belt is the correct one? Maybe it’s something as simple as the wrong belt (shorter) was supplied with the kit.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You guys are awesome. It was the T nut. I flipped it around and the belt went on first try…thanks for the help everyone. I never in a million years would have thought of this. Whipple really needs to update their manual, it sucks!