Whipple oversized H/E vs regular one

racer85304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I’m going to be ordering a whipple gen 5 stage 1 for a 2015 mustang. Initially I was going to order the oversized heat exchanger but after reading some info on department of boost site, I’m not sure if I should get the regular one or oversized.

DOB site says the oversized heat exchanger is actually too thick causing restriction and flows less air through it due to its dense core. I can see their point to an extent but now I’m sure what one to order. Whipple suggest going with the oversized unit for better cooling.

anyone have any info on the oversized unit vs the standard one?
Sponsored

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I’m going to be ordering a whipple gen 5 stage 1 for a 2015 mustang. Initially I was going to order the oversized heat exchanger but after reading some info on department of boost site, I’m not sure if I should get the regular one or oversized.

DOB site says the oversized heat exchanger is actually too thick causing restriction and flows less air through it due to its dense core. I can see their point to an extent but now I’m sure what one to order. Whipple suggest going with the oversized unit for better cooling.

I dont have a comparison. But I have the Oversized and it works very well.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I have the standard one and lots of log data but no comparison. I do have some data that seems to indicate the fans can’t help.

OP
OP

racer85304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have the standard one and lots of log data but no comparison. I do have some data that seems to indicate the fans can’t help.
thanks. I was hoping for how long it’s been out, someone by chance has done some sort of testing.

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
thought the consensus was the phenolic spacers were the best with diminished returns on the cooling system side.
no personal experience but the posts on here all seam to end at the spacers. or killer chiller but not my cup of tea

if the blowers not on, see about a machine shop decking the runners to match the spacer height. my plan at least..

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
The size difference between the two is very apparent. Here in Utah it dropped my temps and allowed for better cooling while daily driving and “spirited” driving. Worth it IMO from personal use on my 17 with s stage 2 Whipple making 820hp. ☠

6BD57C68-9B0D-4F48-9093-092E32A875DB.jpeg

ALJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I can't say much about performance, but I ended up with the oversized unit AND fans. You can't run with oversized LTR and fans without going to a race bumper or something. When talking with them (Whipple) about sending which option back based on my needs in the Miami heat, they said keep the oversized unit and return the fans. So that's what I did... They said the oversized unit is their best option.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

I highly recommend going with the oversized heat exchanger is you are street or road racing. If this is a car you'll be at the drag strip with a lot id opt for the smaller one with the fans. We sell everything you need here at www.lethalperformance.com. Please feel free to give us a call if you have anymore questions. 1.877.253.8425

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the oversized on my stage 2 and the iat’s have been very good and timing holds even when it was 90’s and high humidity.

if a larger unit was worse then whipple would not sell it.

OP
OP

racer85304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It looks like most suggest the oversized heat exchanger. After doing more research it looks like the Whipple oversized one is the same thickeness of the 13/14 gt 500 heat exchanger and the difference is the whipple is a dual pass and a little taller.

thanks for everyone help.
Sponsored