Whipple CHT’s

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
hey folks,
So I recently finished my stage 1 complete whipple kit install. Everything seems to run great, IC pump is flowing, belts have no sounds and coolant is where it should be/heat is working perfect.
My question is around temps. As I drive around (20-30 min drives) I notice in traffic and generally the CHT’s rise fast and are higher then NA (as to be expected). I’m seeing around 205-215 sitting in traffic and it’s 40 degrees outside. Is that normal temps? I’ve read that the R. 170 thermostat can help as the one that comes with the kit is shit. Just want to make sure these are normal and what temps are considered dangerous. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
When idling/stopped in traffic your CHTs are going to be noticeable higher than when you have a rush of air triggering your thermostat, at least that is my understanding.

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
My CHT's dropped about 10 degrees on average with the Reische thermostat. 205-215 is no big deal. I was trying to prevent temps around 235 that I was seeing in the summer. With the default Whipple tune, the fan settings are the same as a stock engine, so the fans try to maintain a temp of 212. Modifying the tune to try to maintain a lower temp helps in traffic. The fans are based on ECT, which is about 10 degrees cooler than CHT. This means your fans are shooting for about 222 CHT, which is a little too hot in my opinion.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My CHT's dropped about 10 degrees on average with the Reische thermostat. 205-215 is no big deal. I was trying to prevent temps around 235 that I was seeing in the summer. With the default Whipple tune, the fan settings are the same as a stock engine, so the fans try to maintain a temp of 212. Modifying the tune to try to maintain a lower temp helps in traffic. The fans are based on ECT, which is about 10 degrees cooler than CHT. This means your fans are shooting for about 222 CHT, which is a little too hot in my opinion.
Thanks man, I think I’ll swap the Tstat to the 170 to start.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
how does the 170 T stat help vs the 180? if your temps are already 190+?
I think the Reische thermostat opens more fully and flows better than the one that comes with the Whipple kit. Perhaps the 160 starts opening sooner, but if it doesn't flow as well when fully open, then it won't help as much as the thermostat that flows better.

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
how does the 170 T stat help vs the 180? if your temps are already 190+?
Yea from all the research on the forum apparently it’s more about the quality of the Reische Tstat vs the one that comes with it.

Sponsored

iTzAdren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competition Orange S550
Mine sits in the same range as Ops with the stage 1 kit with the stock whipple tune reg H/E and no fans. I haven't melted anything yet

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Lmao! A t stat that “flows better.” That’s a new one.

A sucker is born every day and I’m in the wrong line of work.

OP... who cares what cylinder head temp says.

What is your coolant temp?

Stanglx718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GS350, Lexus GX460
I spoke to a Whipple dealer and they highly recommend an upgraded HE. I’m up in New England and the last thing I thought we would need to worry about would be the heat. I’m assuming even in traffic during a hot Texas day your Whipple has been fine?

Mine sits in the same range as Ops with the stage 1 kit with the stock whipple tune reg H/E and no fans. I haven't melted anything yet

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Lmao! A t stat that “flows better.” That’s a new one.

A sucker is born every day and I’m in the wrong line of work.

OP... who cares what cylinder head temp says.

What is your coolant temp?
Ok, well it clearly made a difference in my highway temps where opening temp shouldn't matter. I drive 70 miles round trip every day, so it was easy to see the before/after. I was drawing the flow comparison from this: https://reischeperformance.com/tstatinfo.html

Edit: Actually these aren't the pictures I thought they were. Somewhere I thought I saw a comparison of the Reische vs the Whipple supplied 160 and the Reische was clearly open more fully at a temp where they should both be fully open. Also the design of the Reische was like the stock thermostat and the Whipple one (Motorad?) was differently designed.

I suppose you could argue that it's just marketing, but if the thermostat is the bottleneck to flow, then it makes sense that more flow through the return path to the radiator would help cool the cylinder head more efficiently.

Also, who cares what the coolant temp is? It's just an extrapolation based on the CHT sensor. There is no coolant temp sensor in these cars.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Ok, well it clearly made a difference in my highway temps where opening temp shouldn't matter. I drive 70 miles round trip every day, so it was easy to see the before/after. I was drawing the flow comparison from this: https://reischeperformance.com/tstatinfo.html

Edit: Actually these aren't the pictures I thought they were. Somewhere I thought I saw a comparison of the Reische vs the Whipple supplied 160 and the Reische was clearly open more fully at a temp where they should both be fully open. Also the design of the Reische was like the stock thermostat and the Whipple one (Motorad?) was differently designed.

I suppose you could argue that it's just marketing, but if the thermostat is the bottleneck to flow, then it makes sense that more flow through the return path to the radiator would help cool the cylinder head more efficiently.

Also, who cares what the coolant temp is? It's just an extrapolation based on the CHT sensor. There is no coolant temp sensor in these cars.
Glad you answered yourself basically the same way i would for the first 3/4 of your post lol. Not trying to be a dick. LIke you said, the Tstat is designed to be a bottleneck to limit flow to the radiator during warm up and cold temps. Once it's fully open, it's open.
Sponsored