Where did this grease come from?!

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
2018 mustang with factory drive shaft. I had the car on the lift and noticed the grease but everything on the drive shaft is bone dry.
I can’t figure out where it came from

0ED2200D-A251-41DB-B266-0758976E7EC2.jpeg
Sponsored

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
That is grease escaping from your driveshaft's CV joint. You can tell by the way it's being slung 360 degrees as the driveshaft spins.

I'm not familiar with the S550 but some cars have a paper gasket in there, others just seal simply by being tight.

If you loose too much grease, the ball bearings can overheat and bind (creating some very unpleasant vibrations). You might want to disconnect the shaft, clean everything, repack with fresh grease and torque those bolts (you might be able to get away with doing just the latter).

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
Shouldn’t it have burned off? Sure it isn’t body seam sealer?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Shouldn’t it have burned off? Sure it isn’t body seam sealer?
Given that's not the factory exhaust, not particularly likely. Seam sealer is a one time thing, once it hardens it's not going anywhere.

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Given that's not the factory exhaust, not particularly likely. Seam sealer is a one time thing, once it hardens it's not going anywhere.
Yeah it’s definitely not seam sealer, I was able to wipe it off the exhaust after I took the picture.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah it’s definitely not seam sealer, I was able to wipe it off the exhaust after I took the picture.
If you're under warranty they will probably give you a new driveshaft. If not, now is a great time to upgrade to a 1 piece aluminum or carbon unit imo.

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I am technically within my warranty but the Ford dealer didn't love the blower on my car the last time I got them to replace me trans under warranty :). Come to think about it, maybe this is something from them. I just checked and the drive shaft is legit dry/nothing on it. Maybe they packed some grease in there (the grease looks like it's been there for a while). Here is another picture of the driveshaft, you can see it's all dry.

DS..png

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Time to bring the car in for warranty. Looks like your driveshaft CV is slinging grease.
Did you look at the picture though? The drive shaft has nothing on it. No noises or vibrations either... It makes no sense.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Did you look at the picture though? The drive shaft has nothing on it. No noises or vibrations either... It makes no sense.
The first picture you posted of the grease on the frame. Is the exhaust smudge from you accidentally touching the exhaust with a towel?

Sponsored
OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
The first picture you posted of the grease on the frame. Is the exhaust smudge from you accidentally touching the exhaust with a towel?
Nope, put it on the lift and noticed it and took the picture right away. I wiped it off after the picture.

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
no idea what it is but I've seen a lot of grease or oil slung from seals-pinion or trans and the pattern is wrong. the way it's on the bottom of the pipe and trails lengthwise, there is no way that came from that squeaky clean cv joint ??? Jim

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Looks like it was coming out of here, which doesn't make sense because I don't think the flange itself should be greased? But I've never had one apart so I don't know.
DS..png

OP
OP
t14mhall

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Looks like it was coming out of here, which doesn't make sense because I don't think the flange itself should be greased? But I've never had one apart so I don't know.
DS..png
I don't know a ton about driveshafts, but that is the first place I looked (the picture is before I wiped anything off. You would think there would be some grease on that spot. I know It's spinning fast and throwing grease but still, why is there zero grease on this spot lol. wtf

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't know a ton about driveshafts, but that is the first place I looked (the picture is before I wiped anything off. You would think there would be some grease on that spot. I know It's spinning fast and throwing grease but still, why is there zero grease on this spot lol. wtf
Actually nevermind, I think I see it. You see how that one tiny spot on the flange isn't rusty and how there's the tiniest bit of what looks like grease wicking on the other side?
DS..png
Sponsored