BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
After 6 sessions at VIR, some extra aggressive driving with a top instructor in my final session - I had a complete clutch failure..

There are so many contradictory threads about the S550 clutch and bleeding, I could be here all night reading. Any ideas welcomed about the bleeding and future prevention.
Try replacing the stupid stock plastic clutch line with a stainless steel one. The stock one likes to swell, especially when hot. I felt mine do this, and wouldn't let clutch fully disengage. No probs after ss line went in. Brake fluid is shared with the clutch system, so high temp fluid is what you need anyway for both.
Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
After 6 sessions at VIR, some extra aggressive driving with a top instructor in my final session - I had a complete clutch failure..

Had to be dragged off the track as I hadn’t fitted a Tow hook before today’s HPDE. I only spoke to gtorpedo earlier at VIR about his setup.
I have had to leave the car at the track, ready to trailer back home tomorrow.

Most likely cause could be boiling the fluid, a few track dayers tried to offer assistance, but without a dedicated vacuum pump and fitting, our efforts were in vain. Many thanks DocWalt for heading over to lend a hand.

There are so many contradictory threads about the S550 clutch and bleeding, I could be here all night reading. Any ideas welcomed about the bleeding and future prevention.
I assume you made it home safely and picked the car up today?

Bad luck and such a silly problem to have on track :( Hopefully it's nothing more serious than boiled fluid in the clutch slave.

Nice to meet you, I had been watching you wheel it in the rain on Saturday, you were pushing hard!

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I assume you made it home safely and picked the car up today?

Bad luck and such a silly problem to have on track :( Hopefully it's nothing more serious than boiled fluid in the clutch slave.

Nice to meet you, I had been watching you wheel it in the rain on Saturday, you were pushing hard!
Made it back home ok.. had to hand winch it onto the trailer.. then lots of huffing to get it off again.
A bit more than fluid or air issue unfortunately. Sounds more like Slave failure, apparently a common fault, even though it’s the Exedy one.. as OEM

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Made it back home ok.. had to hand winch it onto the trailer.. then lots of huffing to get it off again.
A bit more than fluid or air issue unfortunately. Sounds more like Slave failure, apparently a common fault, even though it’s the Exedy one.. as OEM
You have a stock clutch or aftermarket clutch? The stock clutch comes apart at high rpm, and the pedal goes soft and to the floor.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Boo :( Glad you at least made it home safely!

I hope it gets covered under warranty (if you're still under warranty that is) but it shouldn't be too pricey otherwise at least if not. Still annoying, but the silver lining is that it happened at the end of the weekend!

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Boo :( Glad you at least made it home safely!

I hope it gets covered under warranty (if you're still under warranty that is) but it shouldn't be too pricey otherwise at least if not. Still annoying, but the silver lining is that it happened at the end of the weekend!
Not sure about trying to sort this under warranty, mine is still valid as I extended as part of the deal when purchased new..! Although mods I have made should not effect the warranty - Taking the car on track / HPDE will surely invalidate a wear and tear part - pushed to within an inch of its life..

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not sure about trying to sort this under warranty, mine is still valid as I extended as part of the deal when purchased new..! Although mods I have made should not effect the warranty - Taking the car on track / HPDE will surely invalidate a wear and tear part - pushed to within an inch of its life..
Depends if it's the clutch disk failure as mentioned above, or the TOB, I guess. :shrug:

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
April 14 NHMS with BMWCCA

April 21 NHMS with PCA NCR

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I can't track my car this weekend but a buddy is going with Proautosports at the Bob Bondurant West track for the weekend, 4/7 - 4/8.

Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I can't track my car this weekend but a buddy is going with Proautosports at the Bob Bondurant West track for the weekend, 4/7 - 4/8.
I'm trying to get my 95 ready for this event but it is not looking good. Are you going to the Nasa Event on the 21/22nd.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I’ll be out at WHP West track with ProAuto this Saturday.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to get my 95 ready for this event but it is not looking good. Are you going to the Nasa Event on the 21/22nd.
I wish I could. I’ll be there this weekend to record my buddy in the morning then I have to run. I hope you get your 95 ready. I’m considering an SN95 for strictly track use. Inspire me.

[MENTION=24801]AlbertD[/MENTION] I’ll come over and introduce myself.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
[MENTION=31917]Vato[/MENTION] sounds good, see you there.

AZFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 401a GT/PP
I’ll be out at WHP West track with ProAuto this Saturday.
Same here. I'll be in the Red group as this is my second HPDE. I got booted from AMP last month for noise even though I had done my introductory course there in Feb.
Sponsored