Sponsored

When you first get your Mustang - Break-in?

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
Are you supposed to drive it gently for the first 500km or drive it hard?
I've heard from different people, driving it gently when the car is brand new because the engine still has not been broken in, while others say drive it hard if you want it to be fast.
Do whatever the owner's manual suggests...
Sponsored

HrsePwr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE #735
The new engines and transmissions do NOT require you to baby the engine to break it in.
Drive it like you normally do. Doesnt mean beat the crap out of it, just drive it like you are gonna drive it the next 50000 miles and you will be just fine. Do NOT take the vehicle on a long cruise and setting the cruise at a certain speed. Flactuate the speed.
The only thing you should watch is not driving too fast the first 300 miles to give the TIRES a nice break in period.

---------------------Mustang Owner's Manual -------------------
BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles
(480 kilometers). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unique
driving characteristics. Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles
(1600 kilometers). Vary your speed frequently and change up through
the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first

1000 miles (1600 kilometers).
:shocked:I'm not going to be able to tow with my new LE for 1k miles? That's crap,

/jk :lol:

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
New motors don't need the break in like the older cars. Vary the Rpm and let it heat cycle a couple times. Then drive it like you want.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I don't think the main worry of the manufacturer or enthusiasts is of the engine. Probably more to do with breaking in the rest of the drivetrain; Tranny, and rearend. You do want to properly break those components in. I will be breaking mine in hard, but not abusive. In the first 20-50 miles I'll give it a lot of load in 2nd to 3rd gear to load the engine then engine break for a little bit. Do that a couple times then vary my rpms and not abuse it the rest of the time until 500-1000miles. Which I will try to do in a bout a week.

apexclipper

Threads
Reaction score
New motors don't need the break in like the older cars. Vary the Rpm and let it heat cycle a couple times. Then drive it like you want.
Follow the owner's manual.

Is your suggestion better than the owner's manual?

Nope. :headbonk:

Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Exactly

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4

Reds is the guy you will probably be seeing on the back of a protow truck...That our limping to the nearest dealership.... I can't believe people can't even follow instructions...like they know better... hard part is being able to go through all the gears... at least for a little bit. Can't deny recommendations from an engineer as far as break ins... something like that can definitely voids a warranty

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
I'm putting in fresh synthetic blinker fluid right off the bat, putting in metric Canadian air in the tires for higher tolerance and maybe getting a turbo encabulator.
Getting one of those "tornados" for the air intake cause everyone knows swirly air makes more power and if there's money left over, I'm gonna get a "Shamwow"
Other than those things, I'm driving it like I respect it and acknowledge that I've paid allot of money for it.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
manufacturers only care about longevity of your vehicle, not getting the most out of your engine and longevity. They also care about not having any lawsuits filed against them or stupid people being too careless to break-in their engine properly by abusing it, therefore they can avoid unnecessary warranty claims. As long as your smart about it and don't abuse the motor, I am firm believer in this method of break-in.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reds is the guy you will probably be seeing on the back of a protow truck...That our limping to the nearest dealership.... I can't believe people can't even follow instructions...like they know better... hard part is being able to go through all the gears... at least for a little bit. Can't deny recommendations from an engineer as far as break ins... something like that can definitely voids a warranty
Wrong! Never been on a towtruck. I've had two coyotes. Supercharged them with less than 50 miles on the clock and ran ten second passes in mile high altitude. Experience is much more than Internet talk shows. Pay attention you will learn some things. This car was torn down at 6000 miles to be built and the internals were spotless. Have you owned a 5.0???

[ame] 100% stock motor with Roush TVS!!

Sponsored

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Have you owned a 5.0.??? NOPE!! See above!!

GarRtr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gar
Vehicle(s)
Total babe
Can the PP or Recaros be added on after you get your car ?

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I'm putting in fresh synthetic blinker fluid right off the bat, putting in metric Canadian air in the tires for higher tolerance and maybe getting a turbo encabulator.
Getting one of those "tornados" for the air intake cause everyone knows swirly air makes more power and if there's money left over, I'm gonna get a "Shamwow"
Other than those things, I'm driving it like I respect it and acknowledge that I've paid allot of money for it.
Canadian air is subject to 13% tax, and is 25% more expensive than in the US. I will happily ship discount Canadian air to your door for a small fee.

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Can the PP or Recaros be added on after you get your car ?
I like everything about the PP except the staggered wheels, and the wheel design. Recaros are a no-brainer for me, don't even think about it - just get them.
Sponsored