Sponsored

When you first get your Mustang - Break-in?

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Not by the factory, no. But you can add somewhat equivalent parts to it by yourself, through the dealer (sometimes) or via a 3rd party. Yes, you can buy Recaro's and add them later, for instance, but they will be MUCH more expensive to get similar quality Recaro seats.
Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Wrong! Never been on a towtruck. I've had two coyotes. Supercharged them with less than 50 miles on the clock and ran ten second passes in mile high altitude. Experience is much more than Internet talk shows. Pay attention you will learn some things. This car was torn down at 6000 miles to be built and the internals were spotless. Have you owned a 5.0???

100% stock motor with Roush TVS!!
Nope never owned a mustang...I've liked them at one point but always hated the handling and rear axle.. driven them a long time ago as well as a 2004 convertible for 3 months in socal. Drove the 2014 GT track pack... was pretty impressed comparing it to my Audi TT though I never got to get on the highway or get to play on winding roads. I am converting over from Audi mainly because of price but the key things of mustang finally getting IRS and the MFT and what appears to be an awesome, allround upgraded interior. For what I can get with the cost is on par with the Audi .

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Wrong! Never been on a towtruck. I've had two coyotes. Supercharged them with less than 50 miles on the clock and ran ten second passes in mile high altitude. Experience is much more than Internet talk shows. Pay attention you will learn some things. This car was torn down at 6000 miles to be built and the internals were spotless. Have you owned a 5.0???

100% stock motor with Roush TVS!!
And that Sir is the proper way to break in a vehicle :thumbsup:

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
At first I thought wow someone resurrected this old thread, then realized no, its a new one...that makes me sad.

I can't believe people still believe in this Witchcraft. What exactly do you think your "breaking in"? I'll just point out some obvious facts that you can do with what you want.

1. Approx. 6 people drove your car before it arrived at the dealership - Do they care?
2. Nothing is a good as it is when it's new.
3. "It's broken in after 1000 miles" - No it's used, and what now you're going to drive it hard? Awesome, what do you think that accomplished?
4. Failures typically occur with in the first 20 minutes after a start up - Reciprocating engines.
5. I've seen more damage due to storage than use. Like those '14's still sitting on the lots that were produced in October '13. Metal is sensitive to temperature delta, rust and piston rings are not friends.

In closing when I bring my car home and do not violate several traffic laws I will be very disappointed in myself. For those of you that are still living in the past and feel some emotional connection to a material object, enjoy babying your car. I will be enjoying my car, I paid a lot for it, it's new and is perfect, those are moments that only happen once, it's only new once.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
At first I thought wow someone resurrected this old thread, then realized no, its a new one...that makes me sad.

I can't believe people still believe in this Witchcraft. What exactly do you think your "breaking in"? I'll just point out some obvious facts that you can do with what you want.

1. Approx. 6 people drove your car before it arrived at the dealership - Do they care?
3. "It's broken in after 1000 miles" - No it's used, and what now you're going to drive it hard? Awesome, what do you think that accomplished?
4. Failures typically occur with in the first 20 minutes after a start up - Reciprocating engines.
5. I've seen more damage due to storage than use. Like those '14's still sitting on the lots that were produced in October '13. Metal is sensitive to temperature delta, rust and piston rings are not friends.

In closing when I bring my car home and do not violate several traffic laws I will be very disappointed in myself. For those of you that are still living in the past and feel some emotional connection to a material object, enjoy babying your car. I will be enjoying my car, I paid a lot for it, it's new and is perfect, those are moments that only happen once, it's only new once.
THIS. In other news, I think we just became best friends. :p

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The new engines and transmissions do NOT require you to baby the engine to break it in.
Drive it like you normally do. Doesnt mean beat the crap out of it...
New motors don't need the break in like the older cars. Vary the Rpm and let it heat cycle a couple times. Then drive it like you want.
Exactly correct.

Reds is the guy you will probably be seeing on the back of a protow truck...That our limping to the nearest dealership.... I can't believe people can't even follow instructions...like they know better... hard part is being able to go through all the gears... at least for a little bit. Can't deny recommendations from an engineer as far as break ins... something like that can definitely voids a warranty

The people babying their brand new cars are the ones who will be at the dealership complaining about burning oil and ticking noises at idle. I've seen it countless times across all the forums, people starting threads worrying about break-in then five months later they start threads like "Is this the infamous tick?????" or "I'm adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles HELP!!!!!!".

I broke-in my Coyote HARD. Not abusive, but I enjoyed my 400+hp from day 1 and never burned oil, never had ticks or knocks, or any other issues associated with improper break-in. Bottom line is, if you worry about it too much you are more likely to do something wrong.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Experience is much more than Internet talk shows.
100% :thumbsup:

Common sence versus old-wives tales(old-wrench tales?:lol:).

In closing when I bring my car home and do not violate several traffic laws I will be very disappointed in myself.

Yeah this never happes. I've never done that. :lie::ninja:

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Not by the factory, no. But you can add somewhat equivalent parts to it by yourself, through the dealer (sometimes) or via a 3rd party. Yes, you can buy Recaro's and add them later, for instance, but they will be MUCH more expensive to get similar quality Recaro seats.
anything can be done if you are willing to waste money.. similar seats are 2500 without brackets from ford racing parts..

the pp would be over 5k for parts and labor..

so i am going to stick with NO.

beers

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
anything can be done if you are willing to waste money.. similar seats are 2500 without brackets from ford racing parts..

the pp would be over 5k for parts and labor..

so i am going to stick with NO.

beers
The question was "can you" not "should you".

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
The question was "can you" not "should you".
Semantics.

it was a simple question, i gave a simple common sense answer.

you are more than welcome to quote his question and give a very long answer with part #s and such.

that would be more helpful than correcting the known answer.

would you install the pp or recaros after the purchase?

sorry if you are a lawyer! :) btw, this is very tongue in cheek.

beers

Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Haha, no, I'm definitely not a lawyer. The problem is that he asked 2 questions in one; can you add PP and can you add Recaros. The latter is easily doable, the former, not so much. You can add similar stuff via aftermarket as a lot of Mustang owners do to personalize their car.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Exactly correct.

The people babying their brand new cars are the ones who will be at the dealership complaining about burning oil and ticking noises at idle. I've seen it countless times across all the forums, people starting threads worrying about break-in then five months later they start threads like "Is this the infamous tick?????" or "I'm adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles HELP!!!!!!".

I broke-in my Coyote HARD. Not abusive, but I enjoyed my 400+hp from day 1 and never burned oil, never had ticks or knocks, or any other issues associated with improper break-in. Bottom line is, if you worry about it too much you are more likely to do something wrong.
You know I did not say drive like a grandma... lol. Drive it like you normally drive it but within reason... I am not saying drive slow or extremely fast... gotta take it through all its paces.. going to get that alot in traffic anyways but definitely not constant engine speeds...

subtle

Smart Like Truck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NB
manufacturers only care about longevity of your vehicle, not getting the most out of your engine and longevity. They also care about not having any lawsuits filed against them or stupid people being too careless to break-in their engine properly by abusing it, therefore they can avoid unnecessary warranty claims. As long as your smart about it and don't abuse the motor, I am firm believer in this method of break-in.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
You can always count on every motor "break-in" thread, in every automotive forum across the entire internet, to include this tired played-out link written in regards to high-revving motorcycle engines. EVERY single one.

The logic used to google "break-in", find this link, and then post it assuming it applies to every combustion engine ever made is astounding.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
You can always count on every motor "break-in" thread, in every automotive forum across the entire internet, to include this tired played-out link written in regards to high-revving motorcycle engines. EVERY single one.

The logic used to google "break-in", find this link, and then post it assuming it applies to every combustion engine ever made is astounding.
That's funny, cuz if you read it. It clearly states it's for any engine. But either way I'm sure those who wrote it have used it in engines other than motorcycles. A dyno break in would be the best way to break in a motor. How do you think racing teams break in a motor? It sure as hell isn't babying it for 1000 miles. And they are for sure in the business of getting the most power and durability out of their engine. They design them to last a certain number of races and they want get the most out them.
Sponsored