Sponsored

When you first get your Mustang - Break-in?

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
That's funny, cuz if you read it. It clearly states it's for any engine. But either way I'm sure those who wrote it have used it in engines other than motorcycles. A dyno break in would be the best way to break in a motor. How do you think racing teams break in a motor? It sure as hell isn't babying it for 1000 miles. And they are for sure in the business of getting the most power and durability out of their engine. They design them to last a certain number of races and they want get the most out them.
I've never understood why manufacturers/dealerships dont offer a service for $300-400 for dyno break in. Its almost pure profit in their pocket and in my personal opinion its much better on the car..If Ford offered me a $300 option to dyno break it in with an oil change I would do it in a heart beat. I bet they could easily tack on $300 on 50 to 60% of cars sold if they trained the sales staff to educate new buyers about the benefits. They do it for motorcycles at almost every dealership I've been too.
Sponsored

domingos35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Currently drive 2005 F-150 STX
Break in Period

Now that production has started and cars will start to show up at dealers lots
What are the DO'S and DON'T S as far as giving the engine the proper break in?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
DO drive it like it's stolen.
DON'T drive it like Grandma headed to church.

Seriously. My 11 GT had a few issues. The V8 was absolutely rock solid.

oj5OH

Threads
Reaction score
I'd like to know as well :D

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'll hit redline or just below several times on the way home from the dealer. Vary your RPMs, vary your gears, and vary your speed for the first 100 miles or so. Then you're good. I dyno'ed at about 375rwhp stock with that break-in and had no motor issues for 4 years and a lot of miles.

oj5OH

Threads
Reaction score
I'll hit redline or just below several times on the way home from the dealer. Vary your RPMs, vary your gears, and vary your speed for the first 100 miles or so. Then you're good. I dyno'ed at about 375rwhp stock with that break-in and had no motor issues for 4 years and a lot of miles.
When you say vary speed and RPM's, how often should I change it up?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Doesn't have to be every 5 seconds. I've been told (so totally hearsay) that you just want to avoid strolling down the highway at 2000rpm for 50 miles, not giving the motor any variation. So hit the highway, take some off ramps and on ramps, find your favorite back road, go visit some friends to show her off, whatever. Bonus is that you get to know your new car at the same time - quality bonding.