Sponsored

When did Ford change the recommended engine oil for the GT?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So...who is going to be the first to do an F150 oil pump swap into a Mustang 5.0?
Jackshaft ? Ya pass.
Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
My '18 GT Gen 3 (Aus) had a cap that said 5W20, but the manual stated 5W-30.
I ordered a 5W30 cap and now I'm happy.
Totally slack of Ford to have mismatching details on the manual vs cap.
Ha well my Canadian gen 3 Coyote redlines at only 6500 lol... atleast thats what my tach says. Yeah they screw up lots of stuff :)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Doubting, internal clearances have changed . I personally like the idea of 5W-30, and going in that direction. Oil life at 30%, this was perfect timing.

Also jumping over to Castol having a long history with the product.

A few questions ............ is the oil cap, 2020-2021 interchangeable, will you upgrade same. Steeda or OEM ......

LMAO

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I mean, they did chance from a viscous harmonic balancer to a solid type for some unknown reason. Little changes happen all the time. I know they wont bring cylinder deactivation to the Mustang since they have been trying for years not to, but other than that any other change is fair game, especially if it solves a design issue or reduces fixed costs.

This may answer a qustion or two.

Viscous harmonic balancer & The Fluid Damper are the same technology.

I run the Fluid damper on a stroker motor, superior over the Solid damper. The Solid Damper really is the Elastomer Damper.

Means that it has a rubber band sandwiched between the hub & outer ring. In time the rubber breaks down and the outer ring will move. This will cause it to loose its dampening capabilities.

Viscous dampers aren’t tuned for a specific narrow band frequency. Because the inertia ring can freely rotate through the housing, it isn’t limited by the elasticity of the rubber.

So why would Ford go back to the Elastomer Damper. Unfortunately it is more cost effective.

Production of any mass produced item usually comes down to trade off’s. One of the biggest tradeoffs is cost vs. quality.

When durability matters more, then you spend more. Such cases are often found in industrial applications. Many OEM’s for heavy duty diesel engine use viscous dampers because these machines power our economy and are subjected to very harsh conditions .

OP
OP

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Well I mean, they did chance from a viscous harmonic balancer to a solid type for some unknown reason. Little changes happen all the time. I know they wont bring cylinder deactivation to the Mustang since they have been trying for years not to, but other than that any other change is fair game, especially if it solves a design issue or reduces fixed costs.
I agree that - between major redesigns and refreshes - Ford does make modest changes to its models between model years (and even within a given model year).

My point was that implementing cylinder deactivation would be a significant, expensive change to the engine that would probably impact performance/fuel economy.

I don’t think this is a satisfactory explanation for Ford’s change from 5W-20 to 5W-30.

I am very interested to hear more about Ford’s changes to the ‘21 Mustang GT engine! Do you have links to more information on this?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Walt Kowalski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DonaldTrumpFan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FB. 6M. Twister O. 2020 Conv GT 10A - MagnaRide, Twister O.
Cylinder deactivation?
Bloody Greta

Walt Kowalski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DonaldTrumpFan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FB. 6M. Twister O. 2020 Conv GT 10A - MagnaRide, Twister O.
I get my 21 next week
ill check.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cylinder deactivation?
Bloody Greta
Yes that eats it, would not be a owner. Hell I walked on the Jeep truck . Because the stupid engin shuts down when stopped in traffic. And I told the salesmen it was the reason. Tells me WELL they are all going that direction, said fine and have a nice day.

How many folks get honked at, cause the driver behind thinks they are sleeping at the wheel. When the poor bastard is waiting for the damn car to restart.

:champagne: like your first name :champagne:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Yes that eats it, would not be a owner. Hell I walked on the Jeep truck . Because the stupid engin shuts down when stopped in traffic. And I told the salesmen it was the reason. Tells me WELL they are all going that direction, said fine and have a nice day.

How many folks get honked at, cause the driver behind thinks they are sleeping at the wheel. When the poor bastard is waiting for the damn car to restart.

:champagne: like your first name :champagne:
Hello; I looked at a new Ford F-150 with that feature. It could be turned off I think.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I looked at a new Ford F-150 with that feature. It could be turned off I think.
Don't know, but will say most likely if true. The owner will need to reset that feature every frigging time he gets in to drive.

Rented a car about 2 years ago, some shit box foreign job.

It was the most annoying thing ever encountered, the shit box also had the dial a gear knob.
Sponsored