Sponsored

Wheel locks - what's everyone using for GT350?

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
If Raceseng would ever stock any products other than basic shift knobs, I'd order a set of their titanium lugnuts.

Since they apparently have no interest in doing so, I'm running the factory locks and minimizing the amount of time my car spends outside of my garage when not being driven.
Yeah, I made an attempt to purchase their Black titanium lugs but they were out. They said they would produce another batch soon and its been months now.....they are sexy AF.
Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
1) they aren't locks, just basic lugs
2) I don't like the company and their business practices
Out of curiosity, why don't you like the company and what kind of bad practices have you noticed? You can PM me if you want to talk behind the scenes.

OP
OP
UXXR

UXXR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Have to agree with @Hack

On my 16R, I installed the factory locks and torqued them to 150 pounds torque. That went well the first time.

When I removed the wheels the first time I felt some squish in the turn of the wrench on the way off and I knew then I had a problem. The squish was the rotation of the socket in the head of the lug while turning at high torque and it mangled the head of the lug. I was able to remove 3, 2 of which mangled and as luck would have it, the 4th lug engagement sheared off in the lug. I had to then consult YouTube which had a video that showed how to remove locking lugs in less than 30 seconds, and yes, the lug they removed in 30 seconds was the McGard-style lugs. Needless to say, since the head was sheared off, it took more than 30 secs, but I did get it off.

I did purchase a set of Gorillas and problem was solved.

I recommend against the McGard’s in this high-torque application. Besides, on R wheels they are ugly as hell.

So, you have the splined style black Gorilla lugs, and have been happy with it? Are they this one https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-96643BDX-Factory-20-Pack/dp/B01N4VSVYG or do you know any other model?

I see everyone's point that wheel locks are not 100%, and maybe a pain on high torque applications. That's why I started the thread, to learn more. I'd feel much more comfortable having some kind of security measure. I don't usually park outside for longer periods, but sometimes it happens on not so safe parts of town.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
So, you have the splined style black Gorilla lugs, and have been happy with it? Are they this one https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-96643BDX-Factory-20-Pack/dp/B01N4VSVYG or do you know any other model?

I see everyone's point that wheel locks are not 100%, and maybe a pain on high torque applications. That's why I started the thread, to learn more. I'd feel much more comfortable having some kind of security measure. I don't usually park outside for longer periods, but sometimes it happens on not so safe parts of town.
I had the chrome Gorillas and I couldn’t tell you which ones they were as they came with my Forgestar wheels.
Sponsored