Sponsored

Wheel bearing? Troubleshooting help please.

ToxicOverwatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado- extremely stock
Hey guys,

Please forgive me in advance, I’m pretty new to all of this. Unfortunately, I never really had much of a father to show me my way around these things so I’m teaching myself as I go.

I have a strange vibration that I’m having a hard time diagnosing. I recently picked up a 19 GT PP1 with 12k miles and I did notice the vibration during the test drive. At that time I felt like it was a Tire that was slightly out of balance. Specifically, I notice this vibration starting around 15mph, the worst is about 18-20 mph, then it seems to slightly reduce as speed increases. This vibration seems to me to be coming from the front end and it feels and sounds exactly like I’m driving on a course road even when I’m on a very smooth road. I do feel like there’s more road noise than there should be but it also could just be noisy tires too?

I took it to my local reputable tire shop today and have them take a quick look. They also seemed a little perplexed by it, but they did say they didn’t feel like it was a wheel or tire problem. They guy was in a hurry and said it may be a bearing growl.

It seems that S550’s have a common wheel bearing and/or hub problem after doing some reading here? Would you guys mind helping me diagnose/confirm this problem? Whatever problem it ends up being I hope to fix it the correct way. I have plans to build this to be a 700+ hp street car in a year or two.

Thank you very much for your time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like wheel bearing to me.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

Please forgive me in advance, I’m pretty new to all of this. Unfortunately, I never really had much of a father to show me my way around these things so I’m teaching myself as I go.

I have a strange vibration that I’m having a hard time diagnosing. I recently picked up a 19 GT PP1 with 12k miles and I did notice the vibration during the test drive. At that time I felt like it was a Tire that was slightly out of balance. Specifically, I notice this vibration starting around 15mph, the worst is about 18-20 mph, then it seems to slightly reduce as speed increases. This vibration seems to me to be coming from the front end and it feels and sounds exactly like I’m driving on a course road even when I’m on a very smooth road. I do feel like there’s more road noise than there should be but it also could just be noisy tires too?

I took it to my local reputable tire shop today and have them take a quick look. They also seemed a little perplexed by it, but they did say they didn’t feel like it was a wheel or tire problem. They guy was in a hurry and said it may be a bearing growl.

It seems that S550’s have a common wheel bearing and/or hub problem after doing some reading here? Would you guys mind helping me diagnose/confirm this problem? Whatever problem it ends up being I hope to fix it the correct way. I have plans to build this to be a 700+ hp street car in a year or two.

Thank you very much for your time.