Sponsored

Wheel bearing failure?

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
I posted this message in another thread but thought I'd ask in our local. Premature failure of the bearings is apparently common.
I've had my rear LH wheel bearing replace twice already, once at 31000km and once at 41000km. I actually think I'm about to do a third one, LHR again, at 53000km. The first 2 I caught it after jacking the car up to check something and the wheel was wobbly, this time I can hear a clear and constant grinding sound. The wheel isn't wobbly but I still think its on the way out, and grinding can be an indicator of failing. Has anyone had a grinding sound happen and it been diagnosed as bearing failure. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet and wished it was just wobbly so its obvious. There is definitely something going on and I need it sorted.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they can grind, sound ruff, wobbly comes after the grinding. Any wheel spaces in use ?

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Yeah all settings good, only had wheel alignments etc done when I put the new Mags on a couple of weeks ago. No spaces on the car either. Looks like its back to the dealership.... again ☹. They have been good to me and although I'm out of warranty it should be done under warranty given the replacement of the replacement failed.....

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah all settings good, only had wheel alignments etc done when I put the new Mags on a couple of weeks ago. No spaces on the car either. Looks like its back to the dealership.... again ☹. They have been good to me and although I'm out of warranty it should be done under warranty given the replacement of the replacement failed.....
FYI, not sure how Ford repair part warranty works. But the standard warranty for repair parts is 90 days .

Sponsored

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
FYI, not sure how Ford repair part warranty works. But the standard warranty for repair parts is 90 days .
Yeah good point, I can only go by the second one I had done out of warranty where it was accepted with no questions asked as under warranty. I've got a good relationship with the dealer and purchased and serviced my current cars there so hopefully it's covered. Regardless it unacceptable that a wheel bearing only lasts 15,000km at a time.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Yeah good point, I can only go by the second one I had done out of warranty where it was accepted with no questions asked as under warranty. I've got a good relationship with the dealer and purchased and serviced my current cars there so hopefully it's covered. Regardless it unacceptable that a wheel bearing only lasts 15,000km at a time.
Replacement OEM Ford parts carry a 20,000 km / 12 month warranty in Australia -

https://www.ford.com.au/owners/service/genuine-parts/

"As Ford has the highest confidence in the quality and performance of its products, Genuine Ford Parts purchased from an authorised Ford Dealer are covered under warranty* for a period of 12 months or 20,000kms, whichever occurs first."

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would have thought that a replacement bearing going within 2 or 3 years would be actionable under the ACL, regardless of the written warranty. Depending on mileage and terrain, of course.

I had a bearing go in my f type, it made the grinding sound first. I think it was damaged when I had driven the car around for a few weeks with the wheel nuts only on finger tight after it had been serviced, and one came off and another was well on its way.

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Did some more investigation today and its definitely a LHR bearing. I jacked the car up and while on stands I ran the car in drive and I could clearly hear grinding from the bearing area. While there is currently no wobble, when I took the wheel off and tried to shake it from the wheel shaft area the good old clunk from the bearing area was there for all to see. Just to make sure I did the exact thing to the drivers side rear it its solid as a rock. So I will be ringing the dealership tomorrow to book it in. ☹☹☹☹☹. I know this probably sounds crazy but I also put the old mags back on because I don't trust the dealership to totally look after my new ones. I miss the new ones already 😥😥😥😥

20211114_160114.jpg
20211114_152710.jpg
20211114_151331.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Car booked in for the 8th December to get fixed. I said this needs to be covered by warranty given its failed less than 15,000km and a year later. They agreed but said they needed to negotiate with Ford as they said Ford don't usually do warranty on warranty. My response was that's their issue and perhaps they shouldn't have shit parts that fail easily. The dealership looks after me so hopefully it turns out.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
My response was that's their issue and perhaps they shouldn't have shit parts that fail easily.
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Good luck, well done for having a good relationship with the dealer it's more than half the battle.

I would have thought that a replacement bearing going within 2 or 3 years would be actionable under the ACL, regardless of the written warranty. Depending on mileage and terrain, of course.
Indeed. Hard part could be finding a cost effective authoritative reference - ie not involving paying an engineer - that defines an acceptable service life so the Registrar at the tribunal isn't left scratching their head as often happens. Although intuitively being on the side of the plaintiff in many cases they have nothing concrete on which to base a ruling in their favour and can't even rely on 'community expectation' as they might with a major component. Not sure if an organisation such as the RAA might be able to help, you'd think that after all of the cases brought to tribunals such a guide on service life would exist but there's probably nothing out there.

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
As a side note, having put the heavy original mags back on i definitely notice the difference in front end steering feel. Its much better and more responsive on the project 6gr wheels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Well dropped the car off today for the dealership to look at the wheel bearing. Just got a call from them saying they think the bearing is ok and they think potentially the diff. They are apparently getting their top mechanic to do some testing now and they will take it for a drive with mics etc to do some more diagnostics. I never know how much they've done to test or how good their mechanics are, so never fully trust them. I'm no mechanic but I told them what I did including putting car on stands and clearly hearing grinding, to grabing the wheel shaft area and shaking it and getting a clunk clunk sound (and not getting this on the drivers side). I will look up what the signs are of diff issues but either way its not good if the diff is gone (I still don't think that's it) as I've only done 55000km and NEVER Spun the wheels and they should last longer than that. To put it into perspective my 1978 XC has 230000km, and have had wheels spun and its still got the original diff.....Anyway I should know more tomorrow

Reactions: PKs
OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Has anyone had any problems with their diff (from normal driving ) and what were the symptoms and fix

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Update on the car. Firstly I love this car and its lucky otherwise it would be gone as I have never had to get so many things repaired on a brand new car before. So latest update after additional diagnosis they have found that it is a bearing but in the diff, now apparently they believe they need to replace the lot........now hope everyone is sitting down....cost $3900 part and labour WTF🤬🤬🤬. I just can't believe how fragile this car is, anyway I expressed my thoughts on all this with the dealership, especially given its only done 55000km of normal daily driving. As I've said previously, I have a good relationship with the dealer and they do try to look after me, so they are now putting the information together and putting a claim through to Ford... let's see how Ford responds, but my view is they need to come to the party and repair because this is just BS.
Sponsored