Whats "reasonably priced" for GT500s

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
So I've been tossing around the idea of either supercharging my GT or getting a used GT500. I know at the end of the day if I do the first, its still just a GT with a supercharger, while a GT500 is much much more. My problem is...WTF with dealers lol. I've seen dealers selling them for 5, 10, 20k over sticker even USED. Cheapest I've seen within 200mi of me was for 79k and it had almost 40k miles on it. Not even going to mention current interest rates. Found one going for 84k and the damn thing was on a rebuilt title...completely ridiculous. Several used ones for over 100k and they didn't even have the CFTP. Like, I can afford one, but it just feels foolish to pay that much for a used one.

I've read posts online of people paying sticker for new and I'm just clueless how they pulled that off.

I get its a Shelby, they hold their value better than a GT, its in that realm of enthusiast and collector car, but just seems nuts for used to be so high.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well the easy answer is "reasonable" is whatever you are willing to pay. Also reasonable and GT500 should not be in the same sentence.

Anyway I looked at Cars.com. The are 175 GT500's available. They start at $83,800 and top out at $149,900. If you cannot find anything reasonable here maybe a GT500 isn't in your future. Good luck!

https://www.cars.com/shopping/resul...00-base&year_max=2022&year_min=2020&zip=29579

OP
OP
vaeevictiss

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Well the easy answer is "reasonable" is whatever you are willing to pay. Also reasonable and GT500 should not be in the same sentence.

Anyway I looked at Cars.com. The are 175 GT500's available. They start at $83,800 and top out at $149,900. If you cannot find anything reasonable here maybe a GT500 isn't in your future. Good luck!

https://www.cars.com/shopping/results/?clean_title=true&dealer_id=&keyword=&list_price_max=&list_price_min=&makes[]=ford&maximum_distance=all&mileage_max=&models[]=ford-shelby_gt500&monthly_payment=&no_accidents=true&page_size=100&personal_use=true&sort=list_price&stock_type=used&trims[]=ford-shelby_gt500-base&year_max=2022&year_min=2020&zip=29579
haha. no i just meant "reasonable for a GT500" ie "not getting raped by a dealer".

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
haha. no i just meant "reasonable for a GT500" ie "not getting raped by a dealer".
You cannot put the words reasonable, GT500, and dealer in the same sentence. Seriously, do your homework. There are cars for sale by owners and dealers. Once you find your "perfect" Shelby sharpen your negotiating skills and get after it.

OP
OP
vaeevictiss

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough. The sub 85k ones are what id consider reasonable. Just want to make sure its not stupid to pay that for a used one. But thats doable.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, with a niche vehicle like the GT500, you have to go outside the box and cannot stay "local", not even 100mi within "local"...

Hit up CarGurus.com or similar online vehicle listing sites as previously mentioned and set your Location or Distance criteria to "Nationwide". You will find MANY listings where pricing is fair (or in some instances also outlandish). Even in some cases you could find a vehicle for less even including transport fees if it was beyond State lines.

If you're willing to go outside the box so to speak, there's a world of deals to be had - and negotiating (within reason) still works.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough. The sub 85k ones are what id consider reasonable. Just want to make sure its not stupid to pay that for a used one. But thats doable.
it's stupid to pay more than the standard depreciation schedule: MSRP x 0.88 x (0.93^YR-1)
:) :) :)

If you pay more you either toss valuation out the window and just pat yourself on the back for having one, or you're hoping you'll find a greater fool in N years' time. The ship for the latter has long since sailed.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
it's stupid to pay more than the standard depreciation schedule: MSRP x 0.88 x (0.93^YR-1)

If you pay more you either toss valuation out the window and just pat yourself on the back for having one, or you're hoping you'll find a greater fool in N years' time. The ship for the latter has long since sailed.
A GT500 wont follow normal depreciation, it will be much slower.

Sponsored

DR_Mach1Yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC 2500, 2022 GT500, 2023 Corvette Z06 !!!

good luck with that valuation. As I said look at the MMR and that will tell you what you should pay, if you don't know what Mannheim is, politely learn it it will help you save money when buying cars as almost all dealers look at this,

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
good luck with that valuation. As I said look at the MMR and that will tell you what you should pay, if you don't know what Mannheim is, politely learn it it will help you save money when buying cars as almost all dealers look at this,
Well Dan, you could have politely posted the website address. :giggle:

https://www.manheim.com/

Honestly you learn something new everyday. Never heard of these folks. Thanks for mentioning it.:like:

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
He's a known troll on this board. Just ignore him.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I absolutely do know about MMR. But the same conglomerate runs the auctions and also "tells" the dealers how much they should buy their own listings for. Talk about conflict of interest by SPADES! And like KBB et. al. is GROSSLY overinflated. MMR is also a lagging indicator.

Eventually MMR will come back to reality but it's not there yet. You have banks running their cars thru the auction houses again and again and again hoping for Stupid to buy them so they don't have to recognize the loss. Tax refund season is basically over so the elevator ride down is about to start.

GT500 pricing may violate reality for a while yet, but just like Meta/FB/Testla stock prices which "only go up", they're all gonna crash hard back to fundamentals.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Yes I absolutely do know about MMR. But the same conglomerate runs the auctions and also "tells" the dealers how much they should buy their own listings for. Talk about conflict of interest by SPADES! And like KBB et. al. is GROSSLY overinflated.

Eventually MMR will come back to reality but it's not there yet. You have banks running their cars thru the auction houses again and again and again hoping for Stupid to buy them so they don't have to recognize the loss. Tax refund season is basically over so the elevator ride down is about to start.

GT500 pricing may violate reality for a while yet, but just like Meta/FB/Testla stock prices which "only go up", they're all gonna crash hard back to fundamentals.
You've been calling for this "crash" for years dude. Get a grip.
Sponsored