Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
What a post! Clearly, you adore the Falcon, D and it's quite clear why. Both look totally amazing, even better than when they came off the line. Obessiveness does have its advantages as you well know <smile> and it most definitely shows. Reading about your Falcon reminded me of an incident that occurred back around 1969 or so.

Back in the late '60's here in the US, the Falcon was just an inexpensive, compact for hauling the kids and groceries around and I can't remember ever seeing a single "souped up" version.

But, my best friend's grandfather had two of these '62's both in cream white and he babied those vehicles. Then, when my best friend got his driver's license, his grandfather gave him one of the Falcons and it looked very much like this one.

1962-falcon.jpg

We went everywhere in that car and loved the darn thing even though it was drastically underpowered. But, it had three on the tree which was way kewel to us. <grin>

One day however, my bud and his mother had a knock down, drag out fight over something while I was at the house, (mom was divorced and that always created tension between them.) Both were extremely hot-tempered and Paul stormed out of the kitchen headed to the garage. As he was leaving, he said that he needed to get the hell out of there and to follow him so, I did.

We saddled up the Falcon, he threw her in reverse, and punched it. The driveway was gravel and the tires threw up a cloud of stones not to mention the noise of them hitting the fender wells. <smile>

Then, he took off down his road and headed for our little town's one "traffic circle," at least that's what we called them in Oh High Yo. <smile>

As we entered the circle, a '69 Grand Prix very similar to this one was approaching with a constant bearing and, decreasing range. <grin>

1716647650479-jl.png

NORMALLY, the idea was to slow down or even stop at the circle entrance to gauge the approaching traffic and "blend in" as you enter. Not Paul, he was way too pissed off and he hit the circle at about 40kts, tires screaching as he started to ease to the right to negotiate the circle.

Here's an image showing how things went down.

1716648129354-qm.png

I braced myself and then WHAM, we plowed into the right front quarter of the Pontiac. Fortunately, no one was hurt in either vehicle but both cars were totaled.

That was probably pretty darn boring for some of you but it is a very vivid memory. <smile>

As you were..
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Finally got around to trying out the bead maker and i cant believe how well it works. This was my first wash after using bead maker and the water beads up so much it looks freshly waxed.

One thing i noticed was on the front of my car it had ALOT of bugs and after doing my best to remove them i noticed when up close in the right light you could still see the bug "splatters", like ghosting? Id guess they would polish out but will a new coat of wax prevent this? I still haven't put a coat of wax on yet since getting the car out after winter but after the first wash it still had a nice bead to it from last year still.

What is the best/safest way to remove bugs from the front? Or is marring not avoidable?

Shower thought, can using bead maker replace waxing?

436724327_949718816937951_961147067862491832_n.jpg
441948864_2126905327708656_7829041629877476223_n.jpg
436766677_984068836437578_7423620409833482588_n.jpg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
What is the best/safest way to remove bugs from the front?
A Bug & Tar remover and a damp microfiber towel will do the trick. Do it in the shade/garage, let the B&T dwell for a few minutes (do NOT let it dry on the paint) and then give it wipe with the microfiber towel. Rinse the remaining B&T and you should be good to go. Depending on what you used for a wax/sealant, the B&T might remove that as well. At the very least it will diminish it

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use collinite 845 for wax. Is there a particular brand of B&T to use?

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Take your pick. I use Griot’s. Meguiars, Stoner, 3D, Turtle Wax, McKee’s, Adams, Carpro all make one. You may need to reapply wax in the area that you use the B&T.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I just use Mother's R3 or Griot's Track Spray. Stoner's Tarminator is very good too.

Mother's will absolutely eat ceramic coating or wax away. It seems to survive the Griot's.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I use either CARPRO Bug Out or P&S Bug Off. Both work great. But yes, they are high alkaline and will strip waxes. You can use some rinseless wash to neutralize it afterward if you don't want to use a full on soap wash.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What a post! Clearly, you adore the Falcon, D and it's quite clear why. Both look totally amazing, even better than when they came off the line. Obessiveness does have its advantages as you well know <smile> and it most definitely shows. Reading about your Falcon reminded me of an incident that occurred back around 1969 or so.

Back in the late '60's here in the US, the Falcon was just an inexpensive, compact for hauling the kids and groceries around and I can't remember ever seeing a single "souped up" version.

But, my best friend's grandfather had two of these '62's both in cream white and he babied those vehicles. Then, when my best friend got his driver's license, his grandfather gave him one of the Falcons and it looked very much like this one.

1962-falcon.jpg

We went everywhere in that car and loved the darn thing even though it was drastically underpowered. But, it had three on the tree which was way kewel to us. <grin>

I braced myself and then WHAM, we plowed into the right front quarter of the Pontiac. Fortunately, no one was hurt in either vehicle but both cars were totaled.

That was probably pretty darn boring for some of you but it is a very vivid memory. <smile>

As you were..
Glad no one was injured, no question as to why it would be a vivid memory.

When you think of the "people's cars" of the world, Germany had the VW Bettle, the UK had the Mini, the US the Model T, in Australia that car was the Holden 48-215, which arrived in 1948 and later evolved into a larger and more powerful vehicles that carried Kingswood, Premier, Monaro, Stateman, Commodore nameplates.

Ford's response to the Holden 48-215 took 12 years to arrive, the Falcon went into production in brand new factory in 1960. Those early Falcon's were largely similar to the US Falcon's, and compared to the equivalent Holden's, the Falcon was vastly more modern looking. Initial sales were strong, but the Ford Australia did not beef up the suspension for the then harsh Australian roads, the result was a lot of costly suspension and steering failures that tarnished the Falcon brand for many years. Later models had more Australian input and therefore much more robust underpinnings. And this is where the US Falcon and AUS Falcon started to diverge.

xk101.jpg

Shannons0415XKFalcontruckjunglecom6_zps8z9ww6t0.jpg

The second-generation XR through XY Falcon was again very influenced by the US model, this time without the Coupe. We did however get the sedan, wagon, Ute and panel Van formats, along with a long wheel base model called the Fairlane. During the is era, Ford heavily leaned on the Mustang connection, from the design to the high-performance GT and GT-HO models. It's also here that the whole Aussie Muscle Car scene started, and continued right up until the end of production with Ford and Holden in 2016 and 2017 respectively.

xrgt100.jpg

XY_FALCON_GT__SEDAN_2.jpg

I love this period TV Commercial..............................

More, More MUSTANG in the new Falcon.......................

From here, this where Falcon became its own model for the Australian market, it was discontinued in US but we got a third generation. This model was called the XA Falcon and used carry over platform with completely new body styling.

XA_GT_SEDAN.jpg

1978_XC_COBRA_HARDTOP_2.jpg

The same happened again in 1979 with the XD model, a carry over mechanical package with a new body style. These XD, XE and XF Falcon's sported the most mechanical change during its years on sale compared to what went before, think new rear suspension, new cylinder heads for unleaded fuel, and the first plastic fuel tank in the world.

The EA Falcon that arrived in 1988 was a flop in terms of quality control, many swore off Falcons after buying those cars. In fairness to Ford, Holden was suffering similar quality issues during this era, especially next to Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan competitors that were also making cars in this country. The EA was a pretty big change for the Falcon though, an all new front suspension system, the first since it went on sale in 1960, the whole "engine box" body pressings continued right through until the very last model in 2016. The inline 6 was re-designed with a new SOHC cylinder head, the block could still trace roots back to the 1960 original.

11351375_876906345696250_8090058647025984361_n.jpg

eb1.jpg

EL_FALCON_XR8_185.jpg

The EA would be refreshed twice before the AU model arrived in 1998. This model was newer than many gave credit for. The Jaguar S-Type / Lincoln LS DEW platform provided a starting point for a new front suspension design, along with a double wishbone rear suspension that is very similar to the one used in the DEW platform, and the Mustang Cobra. To this day, these Falcon's with the IRS and new double wishbone front suspension were the best of Falcon's to drive.

AU_III_FALCON_SR_SEDAN_&_WAGON.jpg

AU_II_FALCON_XR8_SEDAN_IN_LIQUID_SILVER.jpg

T1_TS50_IN_ALASKAN_FROST_2.jpg

But..........................people hated the styling. I'm one of those weirdo's who actually liked it, but most despised the droopy rear end, the domed roof and the overall petite look. Ford lost a lot of ground during this era and a rushed $500 million facelift arrived in 2002. The BA Falcon straightened out the curves, redesigned the rear suspension to be cheaper to manufacture (this is Ford remember), plus a completely refreshed engine lineup. The old 5.0 Windsor was finally laid to rest, the 5.4 3V and 5.4 4V V8 took its place. The 4.0 inline 6 got a DOHC cylinder head for significantly smoother running. The big news was the new turbo version of the 4.0, which has gone on to be known for its extreme durability and massive power potential.

xr6t.jpg

BF_FPV_RANGE_2.jpg

The BA was updated 3 times before the final generation FG Falcon arrived in 2008. This was basically a top hat refresh, although the front suspension was new, this time using aluminum for the control arms and spindle. This generation was updated in 2012, then a final refresh for 2014 to carry it through until the very last example rolled down the line in September 2016.

The FG Falcon arrived as Australians were flocking to SUV's and more economical options, large sedans were suddenly old hat. Ford's saving grace was the Territory SUV, which was based on the Falcon platform and became very popular. If the Territory didn't fire, there would have been no FG Falcon.

2008_FG_FALCON_RANGE.jpg

sprint100.jpg

So, long story short, the Falcon evolved over a 56-year period. It started as a basic family sedan/wagon/ute, but morphed into a performance muscle car, luxury car, and finally, a family SUV. I think when many US readers hear "Falcon", they think of a basic economy car from the 60's. And to some extent, even to the end, it was still a fleet car/taxi/police car first, luxury/performance car second. But it was also something many people aspired to having in their garage, if you had a Fairlane, Fairmont Ghia or Falcon GT in the garage, you had made it! Now? Well, it's a German luxury car that takes that role.

To me, Falcon's have been such an important part of my life, when they announced the factory closures in 2013, I was devastated. I remember where, when and what I was doing that day. Just think if Ford decided to discontinue the Mustang in the US, a model with such a long history and a huge following, that's what it felt like. The very first car I drove was a 1992 EB Falcon Wagon, I learnt to drive and got my license in a Falcon, my first car was a Falcon. My first brand new car was a Falcon. I earned a living driving a Falcon. My first V8 was a Falcon. They all had their pro's and con's, all have burnt themselves in my brain.

My first car, 2002 AU Series III Fairmont sedan, Barossa Red, 4.0 inline 6. Supremely comfortable, excellent steering response and feel, could pull a mean single-peg smoke show!

AU-29.jpg

AU-49.jpg

AU-19.jpg

I drove this 2006 BF MK II Falcon Ute for 4 years running my business. This was my Dad's company vehicle, which I used twice a week to do my gardening runs, he would swap with my Fairmont or XR6. This one had the 4.0 Barra and 4-speed auto.

apr913.jpg

I bought my first brand new car in 2008, a factory ordered FG XR6, I was one of the very first to own the new model. Again, the 4.0 inline 6, but mine had the optional 6-speed auto, bigger wheels, the blue interior trim, premium sound and curtain airbags. I still own this car, I just can't sell it.

IMG-E4938.jpg

IMG-0378.jpg

jjj.jpg

By 2012, I was pining for another AU, so I went straight to the top of the range and found a low mile TS50. This was the highest performance Falcon to that point and was one of my "poster cars". This had stroked 5.6 Windsor V8, it was hilariously thirsty for fuel but sounded amazing. It was easily the best driving Falcon ever. I kept this car until I sold it to make way for the final Falcon in 2014.

JAN-2012-22.jpg

JAN_2012_2.33jpg.jpg

JAN_2012_533.jpg

On top of all those, I have driven or ridden in countless Falcon's. So yes, I was a Falcon man first, Ford man second.

52126733_2110505309003008_2348576795642560512_n.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
One thing i noticed was on the front of my car it had ALOT of bugs and after doing my best to remove them i noticed when up close in the right light you could still see the bug "splatters", like ghosting? Id guess they would polish out but will a new coat of wax prevent this? I still haven't put a coat of wax on yet since getting the car out after winter but after the first wash it still had a nice bead to it from last year still.

What is the best/safest way to remove bugs from the front? Or is marring not avoidable?

Shower thought, can using bead maker replace waxing?
First of all, you have your Mustang looking great!! :like:

Collinite 845 is one of the stronger waxes on the market, but it can still take a hit from a high alkaline bug remover. I wouldn't stress over it though, anything you remove will be replaced by the Bead Maker as a drying aid.

I've tried a few bug removers, they are mostly the same thing. I would however recommend picking a dedicated bug remover instead of a combined bug and tar remover, I've found those less effective. Carpro Bug Out gets my vote, but P&S Bug Off is good too. I would also get a Jersey Bug Scrubber for more stubborn deposits.

CARPRO Bug-Out Intensive Bug Remover | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
P&S Detail Products - Bug Off Insect Remover | The Rag Company

The Rag Company - Bug Scrubber | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
Jersey Bug Scrubber Pad | The Rag Company

But, if you can still see residue after they have been removed, then this means the acidic bug deposits have etched into the clear coat. This normally happens if the bugs haven't been removed quick enough. You would still use an alkaline bug remover to neutralize the acidity, but you may need to progress to polishing.

As for Bead Maker being a standalone wax "replacement", then the answer is yes, with a touch of no. Bead Maker is a polymer sealant, so in theory it can be used on its own. Longevity and chemical resistance are not strong suits, especially if you have not applied it heavy as P&S recommend for standalone protection. After the first heavy application, you can then use it as a "mist and wipe" from then onwards.

So yes, it can be an alternative to wax, just be realistic on how long you expect it to last. Considering most use it as a drying aid after each wash, I don't think the short durability is a problem that many complain about.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Yet another very interesting and fact filled post, D! I LOVED the "story factor" but it was blatantly obvious that Falcon is in your DNA. <smile>

..and the first plastic fuel tank in the world.
I had no idea that any OEM ever used plastic tanks! Were there any issues with it and, did they continue with that tank with future models?

To me, Falcon's have been such an important part of my life, when they announced the factory closures in 2013, I was devastated.
Just think if Ford decided to discontinue the Mustang in the US, a model with such a long history and a huge following, that's what it felt like.
Yep, I can easily see how that news ruined your day.

The very first car I drove was a 1992 EB Falcon Wagon, I learnt to drive and got my license in a Falcon, my first car was a Falcon. My first brand new car was a Falcon. I earned a living driving a Falcon. My first V8 was a Falcon. They all had their pro's and con's, all have burnt themselves in my brain.
That history certainly shows just how much you ate, slept, and breathed "Falcon!" WOW.

..could pull a mean single-peg smoke show!
I got a big ol' smile reading that, amigo. Brought back memories of doing the same thing with my dad's Skylark. <chuckling>

I still own this car, I just can't sell it.
And that statement clearly indicates how much you love that car and FTR, the TS50 is IMHO, the best of the bunch and I can see why it's special to ya. FWIW, here's a 10"x8" printable version of your beloved 2012.

dfbs-ts50.jpg

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Hey D I’m wondering what your opinion is on the Holden Monaro? I believe it’s more or less the same car as the last gen Pontiac GTO was here in the US.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the go to polish? Anyone try the Uno Protect?

Last edited:

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
What is the go to polish? Anyone try the Uno Protect?
Rupes polishes are top notch for sure. The Uno Protect has "Protection" in it as implied. It is a carnuba based protection as I understand. They also make an advanced version, that is more Si02 based. I have the advanced version and love it, have used on one car so far for a family member that needed some minor correction but didn't want full on ceramic. Nice one step polish. If you want a strict polish, the Uno Pure is only abrasive and doesn't leave behind protection.
Sponsored