OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Despite the boiling heat approaching, I had a lovely day pottering around the garage.

Sometimes the cards all go your way, because as soon as I had finished attending to a couple of little things, the delivery truck that I was expecting to arrive today turned up at just the right time......................

IMG-1008.jpg

NEW MOWER DAY!! :party: :champagne:

IMG-1015.jpg

IMG-1019.jpg

IMG-1028.jpg

Nearly four years of procrastination, I finally jumped in the deep end to see what these machines are like. This makes it mower number eleven in the fleet, the hope is for it to take the place of the mighty Rover ProCut, easily the best contractor mower ever created.

Assembled, oiled and fueled, I decided to use up some left-over ceramic coating on the thing. I mean, why not? :like:

IMG-1072.jpg

IMG-1076.jpg

IMG-1133.jpg

IMG-1129.jpg

I'm currently waiting for the coating to cure, the first mow will have to wait.

After getting the new ready for action, I turned attention to the old.

As discovered when I replaced the drive cogs on the Rover, the wheel backing plates were damaged and letting too much debris to enter the drive systems rotating assembly. After scouring the internet proved fruitless, I sent emails to a couple of mower shops pleading my case. All but one couldn't help, but and I now have two replacement wheel backing plates.

IMG-1005.jpg

So, it was off with the wheel and drive cogs, a now familiar process.

IMG-1138.jpg

The backing plate is secured by a single pop rivet, which I drilled out.

IMG-1140.jpg

IMG-1141.jpg

The new parts didn't have the hole for the rivet, so I put the new cover on the machine, offered up the old one and used it as the guide. After trying to secure the new cover with bolts I had in stock, I gave up and had to go out and get some replacement rivets.

IMG-1144.jpg

IMG-1147.jpg

With the new backing plates fitted, I applied grease to the axle and drive shaft, re-installed the drive cogs and pawls, followed by the wheels and a slug of graphite powder added to lubricate the cogs.

A quick test run to verify the repair, and its driving both wheels and seems to be producing less noise as the old plates were scraping against something.

So, one repaired mower, and one brand new mower. :)
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Dude you built a spray booth on the quiet?! Sneaky, got plans? Was it hella exxy?

These are incredibly strong and long-lasting engines, the block and cylinder made from cast-iron, but they need all the ducks lined up to run correctly. They also drink lots of fuel and make a lot of noise. But nothing will stop them when the going gets tough.
This mower has a...351 Windsor? Respect.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Dude you built a spray booth on the quiet?! Sneaky, got plans? Was it hella exxy?

This mower has a...351 Windsor? Respect.
Yep, high tech spray booth, well worth the cost! :wink:

Great analogy with the Windsor. I had a T3 TS50 with the hand built Tickford stroker 5.6 Windsor. That thing drank fuel in the most hilarious way, you could actually see the fuel needle dropping as you drove. Think 23 liters per 100! Sounded great though, just like a screaming Victa 2-stroke!

T3_WINDSOR_5.6L_V8.jpg

JAN_2012_26.jpg

JAN_2012_22.jpg

JAN_2012_2.33jpg.jpg

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Had the Jaguar serviced yesterday. Of particular concern was a lack of AC performance, which is something that has occurred before. Last time, the system was inspected and found to be low on gas, but no leaks could be detected. This time, a leak was found, and a replacement pipe needed. This is a common problem on early build XE's, so I'm not surprised or concerned. The replacement part and fitment are a relatively cheap fix.

What's not a cheap fix, and something I politely declined, was the quote of $250 to replace the wiper blades. :shock:

Yeah, no thanks. Parts already ordered and I'll do that myself.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Got a new toy today :) can't wait to try it out. I have a really old Torq polisher with an 8 MM throw, I wanted to upgrade to a newer model with a little more power. Got this Rupes LHR 15, it's the first gen ES model. I figure since I am a weekend warrior, I didn't need the latest and greatest model. I put a 3 inch backing plate on my old Torq, it still works really well so I will use it for smaller more sensitive jobs with its shorter throw. Hoping to get a LHR 75 and maybe even an IBRID mini long neck some day :)
IMG_0365.jpeg

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Got a new toy today :) can't wait to try it out. I have a really old Torq polisher with an 8 MM throw, I wanted to upgrade to a newer model with a little more power. Got this Rupes LHR 15, it's the first gen ES model. I figure since I am a weekend warrior, I didn't need the latest and greatest model. I put a 3 inch backing plate on my old Torq, it still works really well so I will use it for smaller more sensitive jobs with its shorter throw. Hoping to get a LHR 75 and maybe even an IBRID mini long neck some day :)
IMG_0365.jpeg
Yay for new toys!

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
IMG_0365.jpeg
Bloody brilliant!

Yay for new toys!
Who said money doesn't buy happiness!

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Cashing in a couple of gift vouchers for a Milwaukee M18 Surge Impact Driver..............a belated Christmas present.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/114272-milwaukee-m18-fuel-surge-1-4-impact-driver-bare-m18fqid-0

IMG-1165.jpg

IMG-1169.jpg

With most of the Milwaukee M18 impact range being out of stock for over a month now, I had to place an order for it two weeks ago. This particular model has a hydraulic powertrain to reduce metal on metal contact, which allows for quieter and smoother operation. It also allows four speed and torque settings. In both cases, I'm told these elements deliver a smoother and more finessed action, rather than smashing the guts out of whatever you are working on.

I have also added some additional garage lighting above the sink. There is nothing special about these, other than they are ultra slim and easily expanded.

https://www.altronics.com.au/led-lighting/rigid-led-strip-lighting/
https://www.altronics.com.au/p/x3271-natural-white-linkable-led-strip-light/

I mounted the lights to wall using adhesive velco, so no mess or holes to drill. Each light comes with a male/male daisy chain cord, which I only used to bridge from the cabinet to the wall. The three wall mounted units are joined using a male/male joiner piece. You then connect a 12V power adapter. They also offer a dimming switch and motion sensor if so desired.

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/x3273-led-strip-joiner-for-x3271/
https://www.altronics.com.au/p/m8936d-powertran-12v-dc-2a-fixed-2.1mm-tip-appliance-plugpack/

IMG-1176.jpg

IMG-1170.jpg

Despite how the images present, the light output is actually quite good, helping make this somewhat dark spot in the garage so much better.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
What's not a cheap fix, and something I politely declined, was the quote of $250 to replace the wiper blades. :shock:
Uhm…what! $250 for wiper blades? What are they made out of, duck lips? And here I thought spending $60 on a pair of Bosch blades was ridiculous.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Uhm…what! $250 for wiper blades? What are they made out of, duck lips? And here I thought spending $60 on a pair of Bosch blades was ridiculous.
Luxury car, luxury priced servicing! I have to say though, we've been shielded by that with this car as it came with a pre-paid servicing plan.

We got a screaming deal on that car. Firstly, I wanted Firenze Red (much brighter and more modern) with the Light Oyster interior. But they had this particular car in Odyssey Red with the same Light Oyster interior already in stock. Now, Odyssey Red is probably best described as "old-man-burgundy", so it was likely a hard sell for most, but I fell in love with the color. The car was 12-months old when we took delivery and was also heavily optioned with a sliding panoramic sunroof, head-up display, 19-inch wheels, Active Safety Pack (adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring and forward collision alert), heated seats and powered trunk. This extensively optioned XE was effectively on the road for the standard list price, and from memory, they threw in the service plan as well.

IMG-6905.jpg

jex.jpg

IMG-7434.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

While I initially wanted Firenze, Odyssey is so majestic. Deep and dark in the shade, vibrant and alive in the sun.

IMG_9993.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_9997.jpg

I just wish the car had an engine to match the excellent chassis. In fact, I wish my Mustang drove as well this here Jag. Light on its feet, direct and alive steering, exceptional body control without the stilted ride quality.

Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Nice colour on the Jag DFB. Had similar ZJ V8 Fairlane back in the 80s. Grey leather with 5 genuine Jaguar chrome spoke wheels. Including spare.
$408 each. Then.
I’ll find a pic.

I’m still overseas, North Luzon, but return few weeks early March.

I’m looking at Waxit specials. My Bowdens is low.

NV Snow will replace Nanolicious.

iuse the Boost V2 same way as I currently use Boss Gloss, right?
Few sprays into drying towel and wipe off as drying aid.
They have this kit - mitt would be handy and the FN will need its own towel.

Tried navigating back through thread - trying to ID your current favourite drying towels. What do you recommend?

Appreciate for your advice. Surely there is a way you can earn extra income with an online presence. Thanks again.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/waxit-wash-kit?_pos=1&_sid=9a64f695a&_ss=r&variant=34685414993

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Nice colour on the Jag DFB. Had similar ZJ V8 Fairlane back in the 80s. Grey leather with 5 genuine Jaguar chrome spoke wheels. Including spare.
$408 each. Then.
I’ll find a pic.

I’m still overseas, North Luzon, but return few weeks early March.

I’m looking at Waxit specials. My Bowdens is low.

NV Snow will replace Nanolicious.

iuse the Boost V2 same way as I currently use Boss Gloss, right?
Few sprays into drying towel and wipe off as drying aid.
They have this kit - mitt would be handy and the FN will need its own towel.

Tried navigating back through thread - trying to ID your current favourite drying towels. What do you recommend?

Appreciate for your advice. Surely there is a way you can earn extra income with an online presence. Thanks again.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/waxit-wash-kit?_pos=1&_sid=9a64f695a&_ss=r&variant=34685414993
NV Snow would be a superb replacement for Nanolicious. Snow is a stronger cleaner than most, the scent is subtle, but the slickness and foaming ability are brilliant.

Boost v2 is a substantial spray sealant, whereas Boss Gloss is a quick detailer with minimal to no protection. I only say that to provide context, because you can use both as drying aids. The good thing with quick detailer is that you can pretty much use them as often as you like. Something as substantial as Boost v2 could build up over time, but considering your application method, I wouldn't worry about that.

The closest to Boss Gloss in the Waxit store would be Shine Supply Wise Guy.

Get Shine Supply Throttle Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

You could also look at Boost v1. This is actually a bit different in that it doesn't mask your coating but provides a short-term barrier that is removed at the next wash using Snow, taking contaminants with it. I actually use v1 on my ceramic coated wheels for that reason.

"Boost will break down after a PH Neutral wash taking surface contamination off with it, reducing the chances that minerals will etch into the coated surface."

I will say, Boost v1 doesn't have the same slickness of v2, but is not far behind. I think most people will prefer v2 as its slicker, glossier, lasts longer and somewhat easier to apply.

Get Nv BOOST | Nova QD | Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
Get Nv BOOST V2 Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

IMG-4308.jpg

IMG-5483.jpg

I'm EXTREMELY picky with drying towels!

For a start, I don't care for twist loop towels, which are the flavor of the month because they are the most absorbent, I find them too grabby. That includes most of Waxit's offerings. The Tempest Jr. would be my pick from Waxit, they are ultra plush but do feel bulky and similar to Bowden's Big Green Sucker.

Get TEMPEST Hi-Tech Drying Towel Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care

My favorite drying towels at the moment are -

TRC Gauntlet - if you are using a blower first, then the medium 38x60cm is all you need. These are a hybrid twist loop, meaning they absorb but don't feel rough or grabby.
The Rag Company Gauntlet Drying Towel 38x60cm (autobuff.com.au)
The Rag Company The Gauntlet Microfibre Drying Towel – The Detail Store
Shop TRC - GAUNTLET KOREAN PREMIUM 70/30 BLEND HYBRID MICROFIBER DRYING TOWEL Online - CarCareCo

Microfiber Madness Chipmunk - these are basically a TRC Gauntlet, but in a smaller 40x40cm size ideal for drying aid usage. These are what I'm grabbing most at the moment.
Microfiber Madness Chipmunk Jr. Drying Towel (40cm x 40cm) – Prime Finish Car Care

TRC Platinum Pluffle - these are much lighter and thinner than the other two and are basically a plush waffle weave. If you like a less bulky towel, these are well worth the look and come in different sizes to suit (mine are all the 40x40cm size).
Shop TRC PLATINUM PLUFFLE HYBRID WEAVE MICROFIBER TOWELS Online - CarCareCo
The Rag Company Platinum Pluffle Premium Drying Microfibre – The Detail Store

If you are happy to buy towels the above suppliers, I would also look at the following drying aids too -

P&S Paint Gloss - this is my favorite quick detailer and would be a direct competitor to Boss Gloss.
P&S Paint Gloss Spray Shine 473ml (autobuff.com.au)
P&S Paint Gloss Showroom Spray & Shine Quick Detailer – The Detail Store
Shop P&S PAINT GLOSS Online - CarCareCo

Obsessed Garage Drying Aid - expensive, but a little goes a long way. Ultra glossy, ultra slick, easy to use.
Obsessed Garage Drying Aid - 946ml – The Detail Store
Obsessed Garage Drying Aid (autobuff.com.au)

P&S Bead Maker - I challenge anyone to not fall in love with the gloss and slickness this stuff creates. It's not perfect, but the results speak for themselves.
P&S Bead Maker Paint Protectant Ceramic Sealant Gloss Agent – The Detail Store
P&S Bead Maker 473ml (autobuff.com.au)
P & S Bead Maker - Extreme Gloss Paint Sealant & Protectant - Car Care Co

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Well, SHIT! I have been seeing the highlighted "What's in DFB's Cabinet" every day for months BUT, I THOUGHT it was just your thread for previously-used products, I didn't know that you were continually POSTING!

Went looking for a product reference and I saw what I've been missing..BIG duh but now I know. :-)

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
TRC Platinum Pluffle - these are much lighter and thinner than the other two and are basically a plush waffle weave. If you like a less bulky towel, these are well worth the look and come in different sizes to suit (mine are all the 40x40cm size).
Shop TRC PLATINUM PLUFFLE HYBRID WEAVE MICROFIBER TOWELS Online - CarCareCo
The Rag Company Platinum Pluffle Premium Drying Microfibre – The Detail Store
This and the Dry Me A River are my favorite towels, but I love waffle weaves. I feel like they make it 10x easier to not leave streaks.

Also looking forward to what this year's special towel release will be from TRC in early April.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
For anyone who's a fan of Larry Koscilla and his YouTube channel, his AMMO brand of car care products has just launched in Australia.

STASH Premium Automotive Storage STASH - Sydney's largest purpose built car storage facility.
AMMONYC AU

STASH is a purpose built high end vehicle storage and detailing company, which have partnered with Larry to sell his range of AMMO products in Australia. Previously, these products have been available to Australian's willing to pay the substantial shipping costs.

IMG-0949.jpg

IMG-1664.jpg

IMG-1670.jpg

IMG-1377.jpg

For those that want to try something a little different, the AMMO products are well worth a look. Hydrate drying aid is very different to everything else on the market in that its more of a lotion than spray, which does take a bit to get used to. Brute Wheel Soap is also quite rare in that its a specific higher pH soap for wheels. And his foaming rinse-less wash is again quite unique. And if you like a slightly glossier tyre dressing, MUD is very nice to use.

Now.................which products am I going to sample next, this time without the triple digit shipping cost. :wink:
Sponsored