Sponsored

What to do with my mustang ecoboost. Young driver needs help.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
would it be fine if I put an exhaust on it? I can’t decide on an axle back or cat back.
I put a Borla ATAK on my EcoBoost several years back at the Ford Nationals and I'm very satisfied with it.

Just make sure that you deal with a vendor who will let you listen to the one in which you're interested; that is, before you make your decision, listen to one which he has installed on another car, as website sound postings are worthless.

Also, after you made your decision, you want to deal with a vendor who will not charge you to install it, take it off at no charge if you're not satisfied, and who will install a model to your liking. That was the type of vendor with whom I did business at the Ford Nationals.

Of course, all of this moot if you elect to buy one online and install it yourself. In this option, as my granddaddy would say, "Good luck."

RJ
Sponsored

OP
OP
imnewhere

imnewhere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2015 base mustang ecoboost
I put a Borla ATAK on my EcoBoost several years back at the Ford Nationals and I'm very satisfied with it.

Just make sure that you deal with a vendor who will let you listen to the one in which you're interested; that is, before you make your decision, listen to one which he has installed on another car, as website sound postings are worthless.

Also, after you made your decision, you want to deal with a vendor who will not charge you to install it, take it off at no charge if you're not satisfied, and who will install a model to your liking. That was the type of vendor with whom I did business at the Ford Nationals.

Of course, all of this moot if you elect to buy one online and install it yourself. In this option, as my granddaddy would say, "Good luck."

RJ
thanks for the info. Im not exactly sure where to find an exhaust shop that will do that for me so all i have to go off are the sounds that i hear online. I really want to get an exhaust installed for Christmas. Do you know of any certain brand of exhaust shop you like that may be in georgia.

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
As a former 17 yr old, keep the car stock. There's already enough power and performance for anything you need to do. Plus, you need to develop some experience and judgement and survive the next couple of years. (I totaled a '69 442 at age 17, so I speak from experience.)

Also, try to do some of this maintenance yourself. Between youtube and this forum, you can probably figure out to do a lot of it yourself without too many special tools. The knowledge, experience and confidence you gain will stay with you the rest of your life.

Most of all be safe and have fun.

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the FordPass app on your phone, you can go into the service section and see all the maintenance that was performed on the car prior to you buying it (assuming that the previous owners either went to a Ford service center or logged their own maintenance). I can go back in mine and see services that were done all the way back from when the car was delivered.

Changing fluids yourself is pretty easy and actually a rewarding experience. I changed both the diff and the transmission fluids using BG Ultra Guard LS and BG Synchro Shift II respectively. OP Mustang sells a combo kit which makes the process pretty easy.

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p7/...mission_and_Rear_Axle_Fluid_(In_Stock).html#/

I haven't heard of a dealership not recommending changing fluids before but I have a GT and never owned an EcoBoost. Hope this helps!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I usually replaced turbos around 75k miles, depending on a number of variables; how they have been driven, cooling provisions, turbo size, impeller design, etc. There usually isn't anything wrong with them, they just gradually lose power over time as they get looser and looser. I remember the turbo (TD05?) on my son's Mitsubishi was pushing about as much air as a hair dryer at 90k miles. My 2009 BMW 335i needed new turbos at 65k miles, as they were losing some power and had a little rattle. They could have gone another 20 - 30k , but I don't like to take a chance with turbos that rattle.

I would definitely replace the turbo on a 150k Ecoboost, but keep it close to stock. You don't want more boost on a worn open deck engine. Until you get a replacement, listen for rattle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
imnewhere

imnewhere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I usually replaced turbos around 75k miles, depending on a number of variables; how they have been driven, cooling provisions, turbo size, impeller design, etc. There usually isn't anything wrong with them, they just gradually lose power over time as they get looser and looser. I remember the turbo (TD05?) on my son's Mitsubishi was pushing about as much air as a hair dryer at 90k miles. My 2009 BMW 335i needed new turbos at 65k miles, as they were losing some power and had a little rattle. They could have gone another 20 - 30k , but I don't like to take a chance with turbos that rattle.

I would definitely replace the turbo on a 150k Ecoboost, but keep it close to stock. You don't want more boost on a worn open deck engine. Until you get a replacement, listen for rattle.
Ok will do. Is there any ways for me to tell that they are too old? Do they lose psi? And how much did it cost to get yours replaced?

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
Do an intercooler before a tune, preventive maintenance there

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What I have found on high mileage auto trannies. If you change the oil and filter change it again anywhere from 500 to 1000 miles later. The new fluid cleans the trans and plugs the filter.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Ok will do. Is there any ways for me to tell that they are too old? Do they lose psi? And how much did it cost to get yours replaced?
A good boost gauge will tell you if it's time to replace. Somebody mentioned an intercooler, also a very good investment. Those are two things I miss on my current BMW and can't realistically add.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
What I have found on high mileage auto trannies. If you change the oil and filter change it again anywhere from 500 to 1000 miles later. The new fluid cleans the trans and plugs the filter.
FWIW, per the owners manual, Ford's recommended transmission fluid change interval is 150k miles.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The manual may say that and it may be fine.

Over the years I have seen many high mileage trans blow up after a fluid change. The root cause was always a plugged filter.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Not arguing or disagreeing. I can't say I've ever experienced a failure after a high mileage fluid exchange but I can see your point.
I just found it kinda odd that Ford thinks 150k is right for a first fluid exchange as that seems high to me. It also appears to be contradictory to what the dealer told the OP.

OP
OP
imnewhere

imnewhere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Not arguing or disagreeing. I can't say I've ever experienced a failure after a high mileage fluid exchange but I can see your point.
I just found it kinda odd that Ford thinks 150k is right for a first fluid exchange as that seems high to me. It also appears to be contradictory to what the dealer told the OP.
Yeah Ill see what I can find out if I go to a transmission shop or a dealership
Sponsored