Sponsored

What makes a Boss 302 special?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Not entirely sure as I am not knowledgable in American cars yet.

I have a 2016 base model but with Premium wheels and passed him at the track. I'll admit that he put up a good fight! Wasn't sure if I had it in me.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Not entirely sure as I am not knowledgable in American cars yet.

I have a 2016 base model but with Premium wheels and passed him at the track. I'll admit that he put up a good fight! Wasn't sure if I had it in me.
And if you want to dabble more with the B302 crowd (if speaking of any model year), here’s the ultimate B302 site:
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php

There’s some B429 there too…. :)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
and passed him at the track.
That means almost nothing as far as the cars are concerned. Track performance is 99% on the driver.

A pro driver in a Corolla can pass a novice driver in a GT2RS. That tells us very little regarding the performance potential of those 2 cars.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That means almost nothing as far as the cars are concerned. Track performance is 99% on the driver.

A pro driver in a Corolla can pass a novice driver in a GT2RS. That tells us very little regarding the performance potential of those 2 cars.
And with that said, also what model year B302 where you up against and what type of event was it - drag race, road race….?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Aside from Exotic Racing and the like, I can't imagine that scenario feesably happening.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And with that said, also what model year B302 where you up against and what type of event was it - drag race, road race….?
It was a 2013 but definitely not the Leguna Seca trim. I am not entirely sure to be honest. Interestingly enough, he had stock wheels and I am PP1 premium wheels and we both sported Firehawk Indy 500s.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Aside from Exotic Racing and the like, I can't imagine that scenario feesably happening.
It's not about the scenario specifically, it's a generalization. In casual HPDEs one car passing another has virtually no bearing on the 2 individual car's perceived performance. It's mostly about the driver. You passing the "special" Boss 302 just means you're a better driver than the other guy/gal.

Also, it is fairly common knowledge that in the Mustang world a newer generation base car is for the most part equal if not better than the halo car of the previous generation. The S550 GT was based heavily (especially the engine) on the S197 Boss. The Gen 3 Mach1 and PP2s were based heavily (besides the engine) on the Gen 2 GT350. So it's not surprising that your car was a good match for the previous gen Boss.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
The Boss302 name originated in 1969 as Ford's Trans Am race car. As required by the race rules they had had to sell a minimum of 500 of a street legal version to the public, with strict limitations on what could be changed or upgraded from the street version to the race version, so the street Boss was the closest thing to a track ready car you drive off a dealer lot in.

The 2013 model paid tribute to that heritage with several track oriented upgrades over the GT, including suspension tuning, various additional coolers for track endurance, and the highest power of the gen 1 coyote at 444 hp.

When the S550 was in development, one of the goals was for the GT to perform at least as well as the Boss 302, and the engine incorporated many of the updates and lessons learned from the Boss engine to become the gen2 coyote.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not about the scenario specifically, it's a generalization. In casual HPDEs one car passing another has virtually no bearing on the 2 individual car's perceived performance. It's mostly about the driver. You passing the "special" Boss 302 just means you're a better driver than the other guy/gal.

Also, it is fairly common knowledge that in the Mustang world a newer generation base car is for the most part equal if not better than the halo car of the previous generation. The S550 GT was based heavily (especially the engine) on the S197 Boss. The Gen 3 Mach1 and PP2s were based heavily (besides the engine) on the Gen 2 GT350. So it's not surprising that your car was a good match for the previous gen Boss.
Tech really developes that fast? I can't name off parts why halos are slower than GTs.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Boss302 name originated in 1969 as Ford's Trans Am race car. As required by the race rules they had had to sell a minimum of 500 of a street legal version to the public, with strict limitations on what could be changed or upgraded from the street version to the race version, so the street Boss was the closest thing to a track ready car you drive off a dealer lot in.

The 2013 model paid tribute to that heritage with several track oriented upgrades over the GT, including suspension tuning, various additional coolers for track endurance, and the highest power of the gen 1 coyote at 444 hp.

When the S550 was in development, one of the goals was for the GT to perform at least as well as the Boss 302, and the engine incorporated many of the updates and lessons learned from the Boss engine to become the gen2 coyote.
Doesn't the 302 have an oil cooler? Seems like track guys should mostly avoid GTs.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
a good driver can outdrive a many a mustang in a Miata going in reverse. Any moron with no skill at all can go fast in a straight line.

2BigPups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
a good driver can outdrive a many a mustang in a Miata going in reverse. Any moron with no skill at all can go fast in a straight line.
Very true! Drove my stock 2017 Lincoln MKZ (3.0T, AWD) at three HPDE events, got point by's from several Porches, a GT500, and 2 Mustang GTs. Quite a few folks were asking me what upgrades I had. Nothing other than tires and EBC pads. However, I and a few others were passed by an experienced driver in a rental Camry several times at one event.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
so you have a good reaction time? Bet I can tree you :)
Sponsored