Sponsored

what kind of power are you guys putting down with your forced induction 18's and 19's?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear that but my guess is it blew up due to extra load put on the motor in 8 th gear, that is an overdrive not made for WOT pulls.
Sponsored

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
We just had something let go in our stage 2 Whippled 18. Haven't gotten to tear down into it yet. Sounds like something piston related based on the sound; cracked piston, wrist pin, etc, should know more next week. We were just easing into tuning and was only at like 10 lbs of boost on e85. 3.75 pulley, stock balancer.

Sorry to head that bud. I've been there. It sucks.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Yikes !This is scary.
What fuel system ?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
haven't dyno'd with the pulley changes, but i would guess close around 1050+ based off mph and previous dyno's

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I'm running 800whp on my 17 and I'm scared...lol

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Mid 700's on my Whippled 18 on 93 octane depending on gas quality and air temp down here in Houston.

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
haven't dyno'd with the pulley changes, but i would guess close around 1050+ based off mph and previous dyno's
What MPH did you run? Also, have you gotten the chance to install the McLeod clutches? Patiently awaiting your results. Hope all is well.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
What MPH did you run? Also, have you gotten the chance to install the McLeod clutches? Patiently awaiting your results. Hope all is well.
I believe the mcloeds are just a replacement for stock clutches and don't add any. From my understanding there isn't much benefit from them. But I could be wrong you never know!

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I spoke with Mcleod directly and was told the friction material used was 40 % better coefficient than the factory clutches.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

not yet, should be here any time

Sponsored

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
We just had something let go in our stage 2 Whippled 18. Haven't gotten to tear down into it yet. Sounds like something piston related based on the sound; cracked piston, wrist pin, etc, should know more next week. We were just easing into tuning and was only at like 10 lbs of boost on e85. 3.75 pulley, stock balancer.
Some interesting info on this video.

1. It's ford's fault that the engine let go....... after you supercharged it
2. "No way it was tuning" - maybe you should post the log's
3. Aren't going to get ford to warranty the engine cause reasons...or the fact they are not going to warranty a boosted engine

It sucks no doubt. This is the gamble we all take when boosting these cars. It isn't ford's fault and it may not be the tuner just crappy luck. Hope you get it back on the road soon

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
Some interesting info on this video.

1. It's ford's fault that the engine let go....... after you supercharged it
2. "No way it was tuning" - maybe you should post the log's
3. Aren't going to get ford to warranty the engine cause reasons...or the fact they are not going to warranty a boosted engine

It sucks no doubt. This is the gamble we all take when boosting these cars. It isn't ford's fault and it may not be the tuner just crappy luck. Hope you get it back on the road soon
Agree to disagree. Why are there engines out there like the Lebanon and Roush cars that come with a warranty and a supercharger with a ford approved tune and are making 700+wheel all day long, not to mention the guys putting down 900+ to the tire clocking off mid-low 9 second passes with an untouched long block but there are engines that are eating themselves up anywhere from bone stock to bolt ons?

There's been 3-4 different 18 owners who reached out to us that have all had similar experiences once they added boost, most were on manufacturer tunes. Two were whipple cars on the Whipple stage 1 tune, one cracked piston and block, the other had contamination from the bad machining that wedged itself between the piston and the cylinder wall. One was a Roush stage 1 car with the ford racing tune that cracked #7 piston, and another Vortech car that spun bearings at 500 miles with the blower.

We'll grab the logs of the pull that it let go on when we get back out to the shop. Lidio has a very good relationship with the guys at Whipple and Justin at VMP and reached out to both to review the tune and logs, both confirmed that nothing tune related should have caused this issue. Lid's been tuning mustangs since the days of the carbs and always stays on the forefront of tech advancements, while the easy finger to point is always at the tuner, he's one of the most respected and reputable tuners in the Detroit area.

The unfortunate thing is that the more engine builders are diving into these engines, the worse and worse they are showing themselves to be when it comes to QC. Check out the recent video by PBD when he went to visit MPR down in Florida. I think he posted it today but in short, when measuring the installed pistons compared to the bores, not only are the piston to cylinder wall tolerances too big by common standards, the cylinder bores are wandering increasingly off center from front to back.

Did we take a risk boosting the car? Yes
Do we take financial responsibility in fixing it? Absolutely!
Is it any of the consumers fault that Ford's quality control on the release of what could have undoubtedly been the greatest V8 of all time is so piss poor that dealerships are backed up waiting for short blocks/long blocks from them all over the world? Not in the slightest.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Gen 2 motors in stock form were taking 850 - 900 rwhp like a champ, so the expectation for the Gen 3 was IMO to at least match if not exceed that now that there is no sleeve to crack. Unfortunately it would appear that the Gen 3 motor took a step backwards with the PTWA liner and PTW clearance issues, .006 - .007 is huge clearance a forged piston would run at around .0035.
Sponsored