What is your go-to driving mode?

Cruzin50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I drive in track mode 99.9% of the time lol. What exactly is the difference between track mode and drag mode? I have a manual, it seems as though the modes are a little different between manual and A10.
Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I drive in track mode 99.9% of the time lol. What exactly is the difference between track mode and drag mode? I have a manual, it seems as though the modes are a little different between manual and A10.
I can only speak for my A10 magnaride car:

Track = traction control off, more aggressive shift points, high rev downshifts when braking, firm suspension

Drag = traction control on, super aggressive shift points (no RPM pull between shifts), sloppy squishy bouncy suspension

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I think i read somewhere that drag mode adjusts the magneride suspension to facilitate launching from a stop.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I think i read somewhere that drag mode adjusts the magneride suspension to facilitate launching from a stop.
Yes, it makes the rear end very soft so it will sink down and shift weight over the rear while allowing the front to come up.

Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Just thought i would ask, having had my Mustang a month.. i've had a chance to play around with them a little bit and just wondered who uses each of them when and what your thoughts are on them.

Mine are as follows - Keep in mind this is for an A10 PP1 without magnaride, so i cannot comment on the suspension changes.

Normal - To me this is pure 'eco mode' It seems that the transmission wants nothing more than to shift through the gears as quickly as possible to get into 10th (it will skip 2nd and 4th a lot of times) and stay in it's current gear until you really dig into the gas. Its a great 'just drive and forget' mode, especially in traffic and if you want the best possible gas mileage, which is what i believe it was designed for. I really only use this when im just cruising slowly (sometimes with quiet mode exhaust). It's very comfortable and quiet (i call it 'grandma mode") - if i'm looking for that kind of experience.

Sport - This is one of my favorite daily driver modes honestly. Its a perfect mix of daily driver characteristics and fun factor. The transmission really wakes up in this mode, It no longer skips gears, even under light acceleration. If you get aggressive with the throttle, it will downshift multiple gears instantly, and if you get into the brakes a good deal, you'll be met with multiple rev matched downshifts. Its a night/day difference from normal mode, which will never do any of these things. It will also sometimes hold a gear if you command a strong downshift, but not nearly as much as the more aggressive modes.

Sport+ - I use this one with more aggressive street driving. The throttle is exponentially more sensitive (to the point where you can get the 'herky jerks' at low speeds because the car shifts so hard with your foot on the gas and will cause it to surge because of it (i'm sure i am not the only one that this has happened too.. something i thought was exclusive only to manuals). The downshifts are aggressive, the steering is tight, and a simple overtake procedure will give you at least 2 gears downshifted. Also it *loves* to revmatch downshift. Its a fun mode, but can be a bit aggressive for normal driving. Also, the exhaust mode changes to sport here, but i usually have it set to track all of the time anyway.

Track - First of all, you get track mode exhaust - so yes, its a lot louder than the other modes if you are not already manually selecting it. This mode i probably have the least experience in, as it really shines best on a winding road where you can really explore the higher rpm ranges. From what i have used of it, it is outstanding. It seems to know what you are doing before you do, it will hold gears based on your throttle and steering input, and i believe it even monitors g forces to know if you are into a corner or on a straight as to how long to hold a gear. The shift firmness seems to be very strong here, but not strong enough to upset the car in a corner.. overall, its fantastic and i cant imagine what it would be like on a road course.

Drag - This one makes me smile like a kid! I havent been to the track yet with it, but ive done some full throttle romps with it on the street.. The first i did a 30 mph punch with it, lost traction and had it chirp 3rd loud, i knew this mode was pure awesomeness. The shifts rival those of a manual powershift, the car is all about straight line acceleration under full throttle and i can only imagine how much goes into the launch portion on a prepared surface.

Snow/Wet - I played around with this one once or twice. But seeing as i live in a place where i hardly see rain - its never really used, even if i needed it. However, i do applaud the feature. It numbs throttle response to almost nothing. The transmission will almost never downshift unless you floor it.. the transmission will hold keep the revs low and in lockup to prevent any slipping. I can only imagine the stability/traction control are tuned to be exceptionally sensitive. Im sure people who have dealt with more treacherous driving situations can comment more on this one, but i'm glad to see it here for those who daily drive their cars in less the desirable conditions.

Overall, I love the customization characteristics of the driving modes, and how well they suit your particular driving style. Im sure its a lot more noticeable for the automatics than the manuals due to the shift characteristics being controlled by throttle input, but hopefully a few people will be able to share their own thoughts on how the driving modes work for them with both transmissions.
Too bad the damn thing doesnt keep the mode you selected after shutdown. I pick the sport plus because I want the exhaust in sport. I can do without the stiffer suspension. With the 301A there is no way to change the suspension settings. If you just want the sport exhaust you pick sport and then change the exhaust settings. Lots of delay before you start driving.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Just thought i would ask, having had my Mustang a month.. i've had a chance to play around with them a little bit and just wondered who uses each of them when and what your thoughts are on them.

Mine are as follows - Keep in mind this is for an A10 PP1 without magnaride, so i cannot comment on the suspension changes.

Normal - To me this is pure 'eco mode' It seems that the transmission wants nothing more than to shift through the gears as quickly as possible to get into 10th (it will skip 2nd and 4th a lot of times) and stay in it's current gear until you really dig into the gas. Its a great 'just drive and forget' mode, especially in traffic and if you want the best possible gas mileage, which is what i believe it was designed for. I really only use this when im just cruising slowly (sometimes with quiet mode exhaust). It's very comfortable and quiet (i call it 'grandma mode") - if i'm looking for that kind of experience.

Sport - This is one of my favorite daily driver modes honestly. Its a perfect mix of daily driver characteristics and fun factor. The transmission really wakes up in this mode, It no longer skips gears, even under light acceleration. If you get aggressive with the throttle, it will downshift multiple gears instantly, and if you get into the brakes a good deal, you'll be met with multiple rev matched downshifts. Its a night/day difference from normal mode, which will never do any of these things. It will also sometimes hold a gear if you command a strong downshift, but not nearly as much as the more aggressive modes.

Sport+ - I use this one with more aggressive street driving. The throttle is exponentially more sensitive (to the point where you can get the 'herky jerks' at low speeds because the car shifts so hard with your foot on the gas and will cause it to surge because of it (i'm sure i am not the only one that this has happened too.. something i thought was exclusive only to manuals). The downshifts are aggressive, the steering is tight, and a simple overtake procedure will give you at least 2 gears downshifted. Also it *loves* to revmatch downshift. Its a fun mode, but can be a bit aggressive for normal driving. Also, the exhaust mode changes to sport here, but i usually have it set to track all of the time anyway.

Track - First of all, you get track mode exhaust - so yes, its a lot louder than the other modes if you are not already manually selecting it. This mode i probably have the least experience in, as it really shines best on a winding road where you can really explore the higher rpm ranges. From what i have used of it, it is outstanding. It seems to know what you are doing before you do, it will hold gears based on your throttle and steering input, and i believe it even monitors g forces to know if you are into a corner or on a straight as to how long to hold a gear. The shift firmness seems to be very strong here, but not strong enough to upset the car in a corner.. overall, its fantastic and i cant imagine what it would be like on a road course.

Drag - This one makes me smile like a kid! I havent been to the track yet with it, but ive done some full throttle romps with it on the street.. The first i did a 30 mph punch with it, lost traction and had it chirp 3rd loud, i knew this mode was pure awesomeness. The shifts rival those of a manual powershift, the car is all about straight line acceleration under full throttle and i can only imagine how much goes into the launch portion on a prepared surface.

Snow/Wet - I played around with this one once or twice. But seeing as i live in a place where i hardly see rain - its never really used, even if i needed it. However, i do applaud the feature. It numbs throttle response to almost nothing. The transmission will almost never downshift unless you floor it.. the transmission will hold keep the revs low and in lockup to prevent any slipping. I can only imagine the stability/traction control are tuned to be exceptionally sensitive. Im sure people who have dealt with more treacherous driving situations can comment more on this one, but i'm glad to see it here for those who daily drive their cars in less the desirable conditions.

Overall, I love the customization characteristics of the driving modes, and how well they suit your particular driving style. Im sure its a lot more noticeable for the automatics than the manuals due to the shift characteristics being controlled by throttle input, but hopefully a few people will be able to share their own thoughts on how the driving modes work for them with both transmissions.
I have a question for you. I didn't know that there are that many drive modes. Are they all selectable from the toggle switch on the dash? I have not received my GT yet, but I thought there were only 4 modes.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi jblue, I am not sure if every trim level and option setup has every drive mode, but my GT Premium with PP1 and the A10 has all of those modes.

On mine, Normal is with everything set to, well, Normal.

Sport is with just the auto set to Sport mode (S on the shifter) but no other settings changes.

Everything else is accessed through the toggle switch, possibly with a combination of the shifter setting.

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Track at nearly all times. Only variance is if I am on a call, then I quiet the exhaust down.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I haven't picked up my car. yet.
But what is "my mode" is it like all your settings saved like a radio channel memory button? So, you put it in "my mode" and it changes all the settings to your config you saved?
If so, is there a my mode, 1,2,3 or more than one config.
or just one?

OP
OP
W.O.T. Stang

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
I haven't picked up my car. yet.
But what is "my mode" is it like all your settings saved like a radio channel memory button? So, you put it in "my mode" and it changes all the settings to your config you saved?
If so, is there a my mode, 1,2,3 or more than one config.
or just one?
Yes.. that is exactly what it is. You set exhaust, steering, suspension to each individual setting and then save it as 'my mode'. There is only one slot to save 'my mode'

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Would this be the wrong time to say. If you drive a manual, you donā€™t need modes!!! You just feel it.

Iā€™ll see myself out :)

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm usually in sport mode. Car is much more responsive. Only time I'm in "normal" mode is cruising down the highway or a long state route where I might use cruise. I've seen very little difference between sport, sport+, track or drag mode.
Sponsored