Sponsored

What is under the steering wheel dash area?

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Well, I've been driving manuals for 30 years, learned how to drive on a manual. Currently out of the 4 cars we own, 3 of them are manuals. It sounds to me that your technique is not what you describe. It sounds more like you are sliding your foot upwards and your heel is what is actually resting on the rubber/stainless portion of the pedal

My car is in storage right now, but can someone measure the distance from the top of the pedal to the area that OP is "rubbing" up against? Just looking at the pictures he posted above, it looks to be a 4+ inches?
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I don't have mine yet, but the test drives I went on, I never had an issue. I have a size 12.5 shoe. I really can't see how you are hitting that spring housing using the ball of your foot and your heel on the floor. It seems your are sliding your foot up or raising it up towards that area. My guess is you were hitting the top area of the Mazda and did not realize it. It may be because there was no grease there and the edges were more rounded?

OP
OP
buenoshun

buenoshun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Istvan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Seen on the photo above, the mazda seems to have about 2-3" more space. You can also see where the mazda placed the spring on it. There is no reason to box our foot in with 1" clearance.
Actually I kick the greasy sharp metal part once or twice in a half hour trip, so it is not every time I release the clutch. It is statistical. Maybe at time of contact I let my heel be lifted up a bit.

Vroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Maybe your just used to being in a cramped driving position in that mazda/VW which would force your foot up slightly during shifts. This is a fairly large, roomy and heavy sports car in my opinion coming from a BRZ. Adjust the seat till your at a distance where you can still comfortably fully engage clutch pedal with your toes/ball of foot and nothing else of your foot. If you can engage your clutch comfortably with your heel, then you are way too close. Unless intentional you shouldn't be kicking those areas. The ball/toes of your foot should travel with the clutch pedal the whole way up and down without any violent sliding or kicking up of your foot in any direction.

OP
OP
buenoshun

buenoshun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Istvan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I think what happens is I keep my heel on the ground as I release the clutch, it slides along my foot, then when the clutch is up, it is under the middle of my foot. Then I take my foot off it by lifting it by 1-2 inches that causes by foot to touch the metal bar with the grease on it. This movement was my habit for many years and it always worked.
CLUTCH RELEASE.png

Sponsored

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Thats how I use the clutch also. Heel is always on contact with the floor.

Gets kinda annoying when its wet though, makes squeaky sounds when im sliding the clutch off my shoes.

Also, excellent diagram. 10/10 would recommend.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
So, this begs the question. What do you do with your foot when you are changing gear? Do you leave it resting on the clutch, or move it to the foot rest.

I learned on a manual over 40 years ago, and have driven manuals pretty much all my life, and I do not slide my foot on the clutch pedal. Depress with the ball of my foot and it doesn't move, and unless i'm in hard acceleration where I will shift again quickly, my foot moves off the clutch pedal.

There are many factors for you here. The angle of your leg to the pedal, seat height etc....... for aft.................

You may want to consider a different technique.

p.s. Nice graphics....

OP
OP
buenoshun

buenoshun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Istvan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I move it to the foot rest, by lifting it up a little bit. Otherwise I would have to slide my heel on the floor towards me. Keeping foot on clutch is probably not desirable for wear of the clutch mechanism inside.
That spring just reduces clearance and demands unnecessary precision. Other brands put the spring out of the way.
As I mentioned some people press the clutch with almost straight leg, that is unnecessarily more torque and struggle for the legs. Some other people press the clutch with the heel in the air, that reduces foot positioning accuracy.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I respect that's how you use the clutch but it seems a little unconventional.

I feel like I use my leg more than my ankle. The ball of my foot never moves off of the clutch pedal. Usually the pedals have a non slip surface so that leads me to believe ford assumed your contact between the foot and pedal is intended to be static.

OP
OP
buenoshun

buenoshun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Istvan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I respect that's how you use the clutch but it seems a little unconventional.

I feel like I use my leg more than my ankle. The ball of my foot never moves off of the clutch pedal. Usually the pedals have a non slip surface so that leads me to believe ford assumed your contact between the foot and pedal is intended to be static.
If you use your whole leg, then its a 3 axis motion control, that is less accurate by about x^3, compared to a 1 axis motion control when only moving my foot around my heel's axis. Clutch bite requires precision. Its harder to control it with 3 axis. Especially if the road is bumpy, the weight of your whole leg is propelled out of the intended trajectory. Heel on the floor during the clutch bite engage is more solid. Thats why i do it this way.

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
If you use your whole leg, then its a 3 axis motion control, that is less accurate by about x^3, compared to a 1 axis motion control when only moving my foot around my heel's axis. Clutch bite requires precision. Its harder to control it with 3 axis. Especially if the road is bumpy, the weight of your whole leg is propelled out of the intended trajectory. Heel on the floor during the clutch bite engage is more solid. Thats why i do it this way.
I disagree. The clutch probably requires the least amount of accuracy of the 3 (especially once you've started moving). Throttle requires accuracy and your heel on the floor. Notice the throttle pedal has very little travel and a surface more conducive to a slip plane between your foot.

Anyway it's a "different strokes" thing. I just don't think it's a method the designers anticipated and I don't think you can fault them for designing to the way 95% of users will use the feature.

That said, I do like your solution. The installation is pretty clean and should solve your issue.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You can try this on your Prada loafers.
I used this for years when on my motorcycle without proper boots.

s-l500.jpg

I opted for black

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Just tried the heel on the floor method in my focus today (mustang is parked until this snow is gone). I could only slip my foot on the pedal releasing the clutch. The rubber makes it difficult to do this when when pressing the clutch.

OP
OP
buenoshun

buenoshun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Istvan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Just tried the heel on the floor method in my focus today (mustang is parked until this snow is gone). I could only slip my foot on the pedal releasing the clutch. The rubber makes it difficult to do this when when pressing the clutch.
I also only slide it for releasing it. For pressing it down better to do it will full leg, as it is faster and does not need accuracy.
Sponsored