Sponsored

What is this Noise?!

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
MP, I get the noise as well on light throttle in the same RPM range.

I am thinking it is due to the dual mass flywheel and the twin disk clutch. Once you load the flywheel/clutch a little more (either more throttle or engine breaking/deceleration), it goes away. It could just be oscillations of the flywheel/clutch when there isn't much torque on it. Kinda reminds me of the late 90's F350s that had dual mass flywheels.

Does your "rattling" sound like what I described?

I also saw that someone said there were some items (maybe heat shields) that could be loose in the vicinity of the engine/transmission that could be causing some noise.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
Update: Sounds gone idk what it was but this morning when i turned it on the sound was not there anymore eh idk seems pretty odd, drove it a little today and still nothing. A lot of cars state not to run E85 in their car but hey they still do it and guess what it runs fine if not stronger. Jarrods car (Lethal) run E85 with no problems i never had a problem with it either. Just the sound that recently popped out of nowhere. AND No i wouldn't run the car on the dyno if i knew the motor wasn't running properly or if i had any concerns. In fact i wasn't all that concerned with the sound being a problem since i did state that i took to the dealer in the thread already and they checked out no problems for me. Idk what it was but i guess its not a problem now since im not hearing it anymore i guess thats 1 less thing we could worry about just note these cars are just noisy is all..

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
So let me get this right - you are hearing odd noises from your already tuned engine. Before you figure THAT out you take it to the dyno and tweak it even more? Come on dude are you TRYING to blow it up and get denied a warranty fix? :frusty::frusty:
Sure if it makes you any more angrier that i did :headbang:

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
I've been wondering what is that rattle i keep hearing between 1800-2500 RPM .
It is not piston slap so maybe i've got the issue you are talking about.

I'll have to bring in my car to have it looked at.
it may take them a bit maybe a couple days or a week to bring in the tech because theres only 1 guy that looks at our voodoo engines. and he has to fly in wherever you take the car too. My dealer already opened a campaign on this issue so if more cars address this issue they may start paying attention to what we've described.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
Why people have a desire to run E85 on naturally aspirated cars is beyond me.
these cars make huge gains with E85 check out my dyno chart and other dyno charts

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
I just got word, not that it is the issue your describing but ? Some of the engine plates between the engine and tranny rattle. It doesn't cause any issues but can be annoying. I believe it is covered but you wont have the car for a bit
thanks for the heads up i will definitely be watching out for that. Since theres no problems i wouldn't see the need to take it in haha i can't live without my car.

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
Just another thought, take a piece of paper and hold it 3-4+ inches from the headers with the engine running. Try to move it around enough so that you get a good coverage, and feel for anything "hitting" the manifold (exhaust gas). See if it's an exhaust manifold leak, might be able to catch it that way.

Just make sure you and the paper never come in direct contact with the exhaust.
I've checked for leaks multiple times as i've had my resonators removed and welded back on before to play with the sound . BTW if this helps anyone i'd suggest to keep the resonators unless you have LT or a full exhaust system because it may rattle and/or vibrate the rear exhaust tips.

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
Mine makes the same noise occasionally. Had it the day picked up the car with 4 miles on it. Still has it now at 4200 miles. It is different from the other typical noise that has been discussed (piston slap) Had the master technician listen with his "stethoscope" and he said the heads sound normal and the injectors are noisy. So we agreed to monitor to see if it gets worse but it hasn't really changed.
thats kinda good to hear for me atleast but yeah i guess continue to monitor this. Thanks for letting me know !:ford:

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
MP, I get the noise as well on light throttle in the same RPM range.

I am thinking it is due to the dual mass flywheel and the twin disk clutch. Once you load the flywheel/clutch a little more (either more throttle or engine breaking/deceleration), it goes away. It could just be oscillations of the flywheel/clutch when there isn't much torque on it. Kinda reminds me of the late 90's F350s that had dual mass flywheels.

Does your "rattling" sound like what I described?

I also saw that someone said there were some items (maybe heat shields) that could be loose in the vicinity of the engine/transmission that could be causing some noise.
i know what you mean and yeah it sounds like that just without all the noise the clutch makes. its just hard to describe its a tic ing or tapping sound lmao
Sponsored